Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone ever c

Donut

Has anyone filled the cavity‘s in the bottom of the coils with a soft silicone to prevent them from filling with sand.
Every time I detect on a beach they fill up.
Doug

It’s been my experience that no matter what you do, sand gets in where it shouldn’t be and there’s no way for it to get out!
I’ve found that the best way for me to get the sand out is to drill holes in my cover and periodically swipe it a few times in the surf and the sand washes away. When I get home and remove the cover, there are but a few grains in there unlike before.

I’m not concerned about sand gets in their but just was thinking about limiting the amount that gets in their.
I know minelab wanted to keep the weight down but those big cavities get filled with sand and then when they get wet it gets heavier. I think I’m gonna fill mine with silicone that can be peeled out later easily.
Doug

If I fill the cavity then their will be very little that gets in.
The sand I have here on Lk Michigan is very fine sand and when I detect the sand it pours out of the coil.
The sand is so fine that 4x4 can get stuck in it very easily. It’s not like ocean sand that is course.
Doug

thin coating of clear silicone between the coilcover & the coil will stop the sand ive been doing it for 40 years (y)
just on the crack

thin coating of clear silicone between the coilcover & the coil will stop the sand ive been doing it for 40 years (y)
just on the crack
That’s what I’ve been thinking. I know it won’t affect the operation.
Doing that I would hardly have to empt the sand out because their would be berry little sand at all in their.
Thank You.
Doug

I’ve used a high strength black colored epoxy for my E-trac coil several years ago to fill those cavities on the cross bars. It worked great and looked like a factory job. I have been looking into doing it for my Nox too and eliminating using the skid plate all together. I need to get some and do it.

Has anyone filled the cavity‘s in the bottom of the coils with a soft silicone to prevent them from filling with sand.
Every time I detect on a beach they fill up.
Doug
Doug, I haven’t done this yet. I take off the cover and wash it out after using it.
Let us know if you do, picture please would be cool.
Tony

Well I finely got around to doing it.i filled both my 11” coils (6” not needed no holes to fill.
After filling all the cavities t is no place fot the sand to collect and it looks like I will not have to pull the covers off to empty them except may once or twice a year. I’m very happy with the results.
Doug