Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone had a problem with the CTX 3030

Jim Robertson

That couldn't be repair? I have one of the first that came out 4 years ago. Never had a problem. It's never been in water except rain. But rather than sell this unit and purchase a new 3030. And it seems the new units are having more problems than the old units. It also sounds like Minelab is working on improving turn around time on repairs. Thanks for any replies. Jim

Jim,

For what it is worth I just bought a used one with 2 1/2 years of warranty left and the new seals and sold off my out of warranty unit. I ended up being out of pocket about 250. The old one worked fine but for less than a hundred a year it was worth it to me to get the warranty.

Tom

I may be wrong, but i seem to remember someone posting that ML changed CTX manufacturing sites a while back. It was after then that all the complaints started showing up. I may be wrong and if anyone knows when the manufacturing site changed (or if you know for a fact that it didn't), I've love the correction.

imo, if it works, hang onto it. That's what I am doing. Never had a problem with mine- I treat it as you should any hi$ piece of electronic gear, but I have submerged it from time to time.

I'm with Champ on this one. My CTX is a 2014 model as the warranty ran out last month. I tried to kill it the last three months and it has no less than 200 submersions over the last three years. Battery and all. I am almost scared to type this but 0 problems with this unit. :clap:

Champ Ferguson said:
I may be wrong, but i seem to remember someone posting that ML changed CTX manufacturing sites a while back. It was after then that all the complaints started showing up. I may be wrong and if anyone knows when the manufacturing site changed (or if you know for a fact that it didn't), I've love the correction.

imo, if it works, hang onto it. That's what I am doing. Never had a problem with mine- I treat it as you should any hi$ piece of electronic gear, but I have submerged it from time to time.

First, I agree that if its still working, keep swinging it. There is no problem that "cant be fixed", but the non-warranty repair cost might be more that you are willing to spend,

Minelab used to have a couple of manufacturing sites, one of them was in Ireland. Some years back they moved all manufacturing to Malaysia. I'm 95% certain this move was before the CTX was released. It used to be a helpful point when selling an E-Trac that is came from Ireland as opposed to Malaysia, but I think was more about perception than reality. I know there was a lot of worry about the first Malaysian units and would they have a lot of problems, but I don't remember any outcry from users or any evidence of an increase in breakdowns. I do know a lot of us were watching and waiting for it to happen.

Thanks for all the replies. I take very good care with all of my detector's hoping they will last forever. But we all know that is not true. Thanks again everyone.

I bought my first one a month after they came out. I had to drive to jersey to get it. It worked flawless . I had it underwater several times,dropped it more than once , but overall I Took care of it . I started to hear horror stories of how much it would be to fix it, so I sold it and got a new one . It was hard to let go because we went through a lot together ,but I did. I paid 250.00 difference and got all the newer upgrades. I fiquired it was cheap insurance . I heard of 800.00 plus repair bills so I didn't want to press my luck. On the side note, it seems the processer is faster and this new machine is hot. Maybe its me but I see a difference. Old computers slow down with age so I guess the processers do too. I am glad I got the new one and 3 years of warranty.

Dang Brother, you should have been a car salesman. $1550.00 for a 5 year old CTX. Go ahead with your bad self. If I ever decide to sell mine, I'm gonna let you do it and pay the commission!!!! :beers:

Jason in Enid said:
.....Minelab used to have a couple of manufacturing sites, one of them was in Ireland. Some years back they moved all manufacturing to Malaysia. I'm 95% certain this move was before the CTX was released. It used to be a helpful point when selling an E-Trac that is came from Ireland as opposed to Malaysia, but I think was more about perception than reality. I know there was a lot of worry about the first Malaysian units and would they have a lot of problems, but I don't remember any outcry from users or any evidence of an increase in breakdowns. I do know a lot of us were watching and waiting for it to happen.

Thanks, Jason. Good info and certainly agrees with what little I remember. Maybe if Minelab Jamie is reading this thread, she could find out more exact dates that the manufacturing was moved and if any CTX's were built in Ireland.

No CTXs made in Ireland.

"Since December 2009, the Codan Group’s manufacturing service provider, Plexus Corp, a US company, situated in Penang, Malaysia has been responsible for the majority of Minelab’s worldwide metal detector production."

The 3030 was launched in 2012...

See more Minelab history at https://www.minelab.com/consumer/knowledge-base/history

I haven't come across any CTX prices under say $1400 in working condition and haven't seen any ads for one not working.
Let me know if you have a "hopeless" one and maybe we can make a deal.
Mine is over 4 years old, needed work when I got it, recently scared the heck out of me when the internal battery died. But I fixed it and it is working great again!

I think most of the "ISSUES" with the CTX come from us water guys. Anything can happen with constant use in water especially salt water. Then add some sloppy human error and there ya are. BUT...... most pay for their CTX quickly salt water hunting........... we just like to whine lol.

Dew

HaHa!, I got my new one from Andy. He gave me a great price. I didn't get that much ,but it was close. Going to do it again in 2.5 years.

The LCD they use is not to Great!.......Seen a lot of them get the lines in them...Even seen some GPZ 7000's get the lines?

dewcon4414 said:
I think most of the "ISSUES" with the CTX come from us water guys. Anything can happen with constant use in water especially salt water. Then add some sloppy human error and there ya are. BUT...... most pay for their CTX quickly salt water hunting........... we just like to whine lol.

Dew