Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphones really Necessary

WeedHopper

I bought a set of original grey ghost headphones.I have not used them yet but I was wondering just how important is it to use them.Cant you hear the deep target with the detector speaker.I understand it gets noisy out there but does the headphones make that much difference or are they just better for not drawing attention to yourself.

Well it will save you some battery life and also you hear a lot of the modulation that you will miss with the speaker.

An added benefit is people tend to give you a little more privacy to detect. (Not that some conversation is bad but it can get out of hand at times.) Like LB said....the additional amount of audio you hear is significant because of two things, shutting out external noise and better audio response from a good set of phones....you have them!

They are uncomfortable to me, and a distraction to being in an outdoors hobby. I have a set of Sun Rays,,,hardly used at all. martin

I wouldn't hunt without them.

A friend of mine hunts without headphones, and I tend to find smaller & deeper stuff than him. He misses the slight whisper of the threshold change on a deep target when using Mixed Mode.

Headphones, a "good" digger, pinpointer, knee pads, gloves.....all are things that can be left at home and still be able to detect but for me, forgetting my pinpointer is the only thing that could cancel a hunt. Once in a while I'll read a post of headphones being "sweaty", uncomfortable and always wanting to slide off. ( I can only relate a little because of where I live but I sure would try like heck to do something that helps stop all this.....if I couldn't, maybe I would take 'em off?) I don't know...so many good detectorists do live in humid and hot environments.....they make it work. The audio is the most important aspect of a metal detector and I would try to make headphone use work for you.

I always use headphones, I now have Sunray Pros. I hunted this week with a heat index of 105. Did they make my ears sweat yes, but so did my hat make my head sweat. I don't know any experienced hunter that doesn't use headphones. Remember I said I don't know. I won't comment on one answer.

They are important if you want to hunt with me more than once....

Julien

Good to here from you Julien. ROB

Bluntly said, If ya cant respect other hunters while hunting with them by using headphones, you should hunt alone . My hearing is bad and if I hear other noises at the same time they blend together thus my not being able to hear. Am sure there are others like that.Also private property owners may be annoyed by all the noise and not let you back to hunt there . So common sense to me says with the benefits of use and the consideration to others is to use them. That's my opinion. H.H. Yazoo

jbow said:
They are important if you want to hunt with me more than once....

Julien

:clapping: I forgot about how annoying it is hearing the high pitched squeal of my friend's e-Trac as he pinpoints a target. The good thing is I can always track him down.

I NEVER EVER HUNT WITHOUT MY WIRELESS HEADPHONES,THAT IS LIKE CAKE WITHOUT ICING.LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID,IF YOU HAVE THEM ON PEOPLE AROUND YOU DO NOT TEND TO WALK OVER TO TALK QUITE AS MUCH AS THEY DO IF YOU HAVE THEM OFF,1 OR 2 TIMES MY BATTERIES DIED IN MY WIRELESS PHONES AND NOT 10 MINUTED AFTER HAVING THEM OFF 3 OR 4 PEOPLE HAD WANDERED OVER TO TALK

Sometimes when I'M hunting one of my soccer fields, I will not use headphones, I'M all by myself on the field, no one is around, so I'M not annoying anyone with a beeping box.

I'M only looking for recently lost Jewelry items, since the last time I Hunted the same field.........It works for me and very comfortable especially when it's hot

HH

If it's not too noisy out there it would work. ROB

Instead of regular headphones - I just use the ear bud type (from an MP3 player) - they are just as effective (in my opinion) as the more expensive regular ones.

:goodnight:well depending on where you hunt but i my self DID hunt without head phones at first untill my next 6 days of 30-50mph wind NEVER again would i hunt without them ( IMO ) THERE A MUST .............DIG IT ALL,,,,,, DIRTYRAY

If you are a beep-dig hunter, you can probably hunt without them. But if you really want to hear what your target sounds like they are a must. Yes, they are hot, but if it's cool your're after you can always stay home in the air conditioning. I've tried ear buds; they are cooler but just don't have the fidelity to really hear what your detector is telling you. And, of course, if you are hunting with a partner they are a must, as they are when you are in a noisy environment like a windy day, near traffic, or at the seashore.... But if your choice is el cheapo headphones or speaker, you're hunting alone in a quiet surrounding.....why not. A good set of phones can make a big difference in hearing a deep, soft target, one you won't even hear on the speaker.

head phones save battery power.
allow you to hear faint signals.
block out outside noise like wind and waves.
keep your ears warm in the winter.
I wont hunt without them.

Hope this helps.

B