Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help choosing a shaft for scoop

MuddyMo

I need an inexpensive handle for my scoop. All sand beaches, no rocks. I was going to get a wooden shaft with a D handle. I'm not a hardcore beach hunter but want something decent to good on the cheap. Also your thoughts on D handles. Thanks

sometimes you can get lucky on garbage night and find someone getting rid of a worn out shovel that still has a good handle on it..
I prefer the D handle ,couldn’t live without it..

I bought a big dowel rod from home depot and widdled the end down to fit inside the scoop. Cheap and pretty light weight. Works great for me. I dont see a need for the D handle.

What PDH said really........all you need is a straight pole.,no need to complicate things......light and strong is all you need.

After using a metal shaft for my sand scoop and repeatedly having to straighten it out (light but not sturdy), I went to my local hardware store and bought a full length shovel handle. I have also added Raptor handles and kept D handle. Heavier for sure but sturdy as and will probably be last scoop that I ever will need. Downside is that it would be a pain to travel with...I use a good hand scoop for that.

I went to Goodwill and picked up a set of alum. crutches and a 2 thingamajigs (can't remember what they are called) that patients use to push around for stability. Cut them to size and a little "rigging" worked perfectly. The alum. is really strong. Total cost was $12.00. Enough was left over to make another one.

Ha, I gave a set of crutches and a walker to goodwill 6 months ago. I'll probably go with a shovel Handel for now and keep an eye out for some aluminum. Glad to hear that'll work and the help from all.

I use a shovel handle i got from a garden center.
A plus is floats if i need to let go to use both hands and the metal end stays put down below.
Bad part is I need to periodical sand down the shaft and seal it because the water expands the Wood making it feel rough.
This year I think I will drill the connection point and add a bolt. The set up.has one hole for a screw and that keeps loosening up.