Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help Please: Whats the best way to start.

XLT-user

I just got an SE.and I know nothing about how to operate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This will not be a waste of your time. I will print and use all suggestions..these SE's are a little different.
Thanks

The best way to start, is to just go by the instruction manual for factory default settings. Pass a variety of household items (foil wad, nail, coins, tabs, etc...) in air tests, at varying distances from the coil, and varying speeds. Make mental note of the sounds vs the items and waving patterns. Next go out, dig 100 varying targets in the ground. Wiggle around each one 360* "X marks the spot" type of practice. Dig them up, look at them, and make note of how they sounded, etc..... Afterawhile, the tooty fluty sounds will start to make sense. There's just no way to avoid this "school of hard knocks". And don't worry about advanced settings tips, and potentially getting your machine all hot and unstable. Just go out, for now, with the factory presets.

When you get ready to angle for the really deep coins (like deep turf silver hunting), the best way to know those little whispers, is to hook up with proficient user and trade off flagged signals. Ie.: not just a sandbox hunter, but someone who really knows how to get silver and copper coins at over 8" deep. Once you hear a few of those deepie tooty fluties, you'll start to tell get the hang of the super deep reputation of the SE :)

Do what Tom suggests then order the Minelab Exporer and E-Trac book that Andy Sabisch wrote. He's a forum sponsor and probably one of the best in the field when it comes to Explorers. It's 188 pages packed with detailed information about what makes the machine tick and why.
Unless it's a SE Pro or already has another coil on it, use the stock coil for a paper weight and get the SE Pro coil, a SunRay or some of the other after market coils. I couldn't understand what the machine was telling me until I did the coil change. Next, get yourself a pinpointer. The SunRay X-1 hooks right up with the SE and you can hear it in the headphones. It runs just like you disconnected the main coil and plugged in the pin pointer...only you switch from one to the other by throwing a switch. A pinpointer of some kind is a must...specially for a newbie as you can get frustrated really easily trying to find something within all the muck with a large coil. The Garrett is good as is the Pistol Probe. All have advantages and/or drawbacks and some are pricey and others are more reasonable for the working man,, but having one at your side will certainly increase your finds when starting out. Minelabs are not toys. It is a sophisticated machine and takes some time to learn. When you begin, understand their is a learning curve and just stick with it and you will find the things you have dreamed about....Regards...Jim

Only way to learn it is to start swinging and don't let it frustrate you. It will take around 50 hours before you start to feel confident with it. everything after that it only grows stronger on you.

I agree with all of the other's posts....stick with stock settings first. This will keep you from going insane. Trust me, I went from a DFX to the SE and I really didn't like it at all at first. It gave me a headache and I had no idea what was what, and what to dig. I think my main problem was that I was told not to use auto-sensitivity so I heard much more of the trash in the ground and it was really confusing. Just stick with the stock settings and sweep slow, much slower than a white's, especially when you know the place should have old coins.

Don't let all the sounds coming from it confuse you. Like someone else said, you will probably have to go a lot slower then you did with the xlt unless you already had a real slow sweep speed. Just keep using it and you will get the hang of it. Do not give up on it too early it will pay off........;o)

The Explorer can be overwhelming when first used, esp if you are used to another machine. This is the easiest way to start - go into edit mode and open a 3/4" x 3/4" square in the upper right-hand corner of the screen....this will accept most coins except nickels. Most junk will be masked and the sounds will be much easier to deal with. After you get some experience, open up more and more of the screen with Iron Mask. Dig only repeatable signals and tones that stay relatively constant. Good luck with it!

In addition to some of the other replies, a test garden kind of gives me a jump start before heading out in the fields.

One thing I think will really help.Go on You Tube and watch some of the Explorer Clips this really help me a lot.

Keep it by your side every waking day. Learn to live with it...It will take control of your senses....When you are sleeping you will dream about...Fall asleep thinking where can I go next?....Can I wake up fast enough to go detecting?...Can I get off work ...will my other half still love me?....after the detector takes hold...Those sounds , those sweet flutey sounds how can I live without them?...O , that first silver is like a drug...got to have more...........................................Welcome to the world of mielab....should be MINE CONTROL....................................use it and you will love it..........way to much !