Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with a programming issue

I'm looking for a 10 inch deep silver dollar buried on edge. It's in good shape, and has a note taped to it that says "Happy Birthday". It's been buried a week now in Sandy Michigan yard dirt.

What I've found to try next for the Deus so far after not being able to find it with the standard programs, the Calabash coin program, an MXT, and an Eq 800 is this:

28kHz
Reactivity 2.5 or 2
Sensitivity 93-94
Silencer on 0 or -1

I've tried so many things and have about a 300sf area left where the coin was hidden for me to find as a birthday gift. There's a 110 line running down the middle of the search are, and a buried 100 year old drainpipe that has some sort of ferrous coating on it as the detectors and pinpointers all say "metal". Yes, there's the usual nails and other yard trash.

Any ideas?

Drop the frequency as low as it will go 4kHz for the LF coil, or 14 kHz for the HF coil. Reactivity 2. The 110 line and the pipe are going to be a real problem if the coin was buried anywhere near them.

I would be tempted to go with the Gold Field program and use a probe and search for a frehly distrubed spot. It goes deep and very useful on volley ball courts. Also if you think the pipe is an issue, sweep parallel to it and you will have a better chance of picking up something.

For the Deus, I would use the 2 tone default Pitch program. Set the frequency (depending on what coil you are using) on the quietest frequency which may require using the Expert settings. If EMI is so bad on the lower frequencies that you have to lower the sensitivity a lot, you will not hit that target. So using higher frequencies may actually work better if the 110V is interfering a lot. Also, ground balance if you need to. Listen for the high tones. You will likely not get a target ID number or may only get 99. Also, you will probably only get good hits when you hit the coin with the center overlap of the DD coil parallel to the coin on edge. You may get next to nothing from any other orientation of the DD coil over the edge of the silver coin.

If you still have the Equinox, I would try Park 1 MULTI or especially Park 2 MULTI in 5 tones. Just make sure you set the sensitivity around 20, do a noise cancel AND ground balance if possible. I would not use tracking ground balance. If EMI is really bad in Park 1 at 20 sensitivity, try Park 2. If you have mild soil the Equinox may hit this target even at lower sensitivity levels like 18 or so. Get a fairly quiet machine first and foremost. The only other change I would make would be to accept some of the iron range so maybe have -3 to +40 accepted so you can hear some of the iron but not be overwhelmed. Again, the Equinox DD coil will hit this target best with the center of the DD coil parallel to the edge of the coin. When you swing the coil with the edge of the coin at right angles to the center of the coil or somewhat off parallel you may get little to nothing. Target IDs should be 28 to 38 with a clearly repeating mid high to high tone if the tone breaks are in their default settings.

So, if you get nothing during your first sweep, grid the area from a different angle and keep changing angles until you hit it!

good luck.......

OK you may need to think out of the box on this one. It may be a big hunk of silver when you hold it in your hand but at 10” deep and on edge, it is only a very small target to any detector. It actually could be too deep for the HF coil. If you don’t have a LF coil, do what Tom says and drop the Frequency to 14 kHz. Set Disc to -6, Reactivity 2 (maybe even 1, it makes a difference at these depths). Sensitivity as high as you can go 95+. You can’t do anything with TX with the HF coils. I find a lot of deep small buttons this way. With a coin on edge, it basically has the same profile as a deep small button. I like Multi Tones but use what you like. This program isn’t for the feint of heart but does go deep and small.

If you have the 9” LF or X35 coil, I would try 12 or 18 kHz and crank the TX to 3 and use R=2.

Need here. Was wondering if you ever found your birthday present? Almost mean in doing what they did. But gave you a challenge that will help out in the long run. Learn your machine.

Take a quarter and poke it in the ground on edge. Take your detector and see how it sounds parallel and perpendicular to the coil. Raise your coil up and down as you swing and see what happens. I am doubtful anything will work. I have other detectors that are better at this but they don't come close to the depth needed even without a wire anywhere. I do not have an equinox to know if it works better.

Ha, Ha
My Daughter did this to me years ago with a silver Quarter in the back yard for a birthday present. She worked as a teller at a bank and every so often silver would be deposited.
I thought no problem I can find that...
Well, I never found it. Never realized it would be that hard.
After two hours I surrendered.
I found out she buried it slightly under our Wood Deck. it was only a foot in on the horizontal plain but I never though of checking with my coil under there. ;)

Also, you will probably only get good hits when you hit the coin with the center overlap of the DD coil parallel to the coin on edge. You may get next to nothing from any other orientation of the DD coil over the edge of the silver coin.
That was basically what I found. If close enough in the hot program, I would get an iron buzz when the coin was perpendicular. Parallel didn't give a high or good tone but a weird response, a tone that changed pitch in all tone. If the coin was slightly tilted sometimes I would get a high tone when parallel. In factory deep mode, I could get a little more depth when parallel, a jumping signal from 88 to 99 and a tone that seemed to say "wahdit" transitioning from low (wah) to high (dit) no matter whether swinging left/right or right/left and multiple lines on the xy screen in the non ferrous areas. Perpendicular was still iron tone with a line that was pretty much flat across the horizontal line, like ferrite.

I had a big surprise the the other day when I hunted an area with tremendous EMI due to radio tower a few blocks away.
It was an old house lot with some big iron trash down deep. Its used as a parking lot for bicycles and has many bike racks.
First time I hunt this spot, it was loaded with clad and some silver and buffalo's. However, every machine I used, Deus, Tesoro, Fisher,
I just couldnt get rid of the EMI. I finally walked in with my Equinox, Park 1, 15 KHZ. First target was an 1899 Barber dime. Cant believe I missed it
all these years. If you know a friend who has one, give it a try.

PS that gold bracelet is 18k and weighs 9.6g. The Barber was a great start to a great day !!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 101
I had a big surprise the the other day when I hunted an area with tremendous EMI due to radio tower a few blocks away.
It was an old house lot with some big iron trash down deep. Its used as a parking lot for bicycles and has many bike racks.
First time I hunt this spot, it was loaded with clad and some silver and buffalo's. However, every machine I used, Deus, Tesoro, Fisher,
I just couldnt get rid of the EMI. I finally walked in with my Equinox, Park 1, 15 KHZ. First target was an 1899 Barber dime. Cant believe I missed it
all these years. If you know a friend who has one, give it a try.

PS that gold bracelet is 18k and weighs 9.6g. The Barber was a great start to a great day !!!

HH
Donna(NJ)
That bracelet is the score nice going. What fisher was you using?
I know the Fisher CZ detectors are the best around EMI
I have detected next to the fence at a substation without any interference to the detector
the CZ detectors have a factory copper sheeting on the inside of the control box for shielding & it works

That bracelet is the score nice going. What fisher was you using?
I know the Fisher CZ detectors are the best around EMI
I have detected next to the fence at a substation without any interference to the detector
the CZ detectors have a factory copper sheeting on the inside of the control box for shielding & it works
It was the F75

I'm looking for a 10 inch deep silver dollar buried on edge. It's in good shape, and has a note taped to it that says "Happy Birthday". It's been buried a week now in Sandy Michigan yard dirt.

What I've found to try next for the Deus so far after not being able to find it with the standard programs, the Calabash coin program, an MXT, and an Eq 800 is this:

28kHz
Reactivity 2.5 or 2
Sensitivity 93-94
Silencer on 0 or -1

I've tried so many things and have about a 300sf area left where the coin was hidden for me to find as a birthday gift. There's a 110 line running down the middle of the search are, and a buried 100 year old drainpipe that has some sort of ferrous coating on it as the detectors and pinpointers all say "metal". Yes, there's the usual nails and other yard trash.

Any ideas?
What a great idea for a birthday gift, I like it and will pass the suggestion on to my kids. Thanks for sharing. Hope you find the coin.