Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with Normal and Sizing mode

Mosley

I have read and re-read the E-trac instruction manual, and also Andy Sabisch's book on the E-trac about normal and sizing mode. I have tried both out in my coin garden, and really can't tell much difference in them. It would be very helpful to use the sizing mode to tell the difference between a crushed can and a coin. Can anyone explain the difference, and how to use them? Thanks.

The normal sizing setting seems to give me a pretty good idea of the size of the target without going into the menus to change into sizing. I couldn't say how it might work in differentiating between a coin and a slightly larger target.

Mosley,

Think of it like this; In the NORMAL mode, when you press the pinpoint button and swing the detector over the target you have found, the sensitivity of the detector will decreases a little bit each time you swing the coil over the top of the metal object, until you get just barely a whisper after several swings which helps many people 'pinpoint' the target better.

In the SIZING mode, the detector will NOT decrease in sensitivity as you swing the coil of the target. This allows you to get an idea if you are over a large target, small target, a long and narrow target, and therefore size and shape the target using the pinpoint mode. You can watch the Intensity meter that comes up near the top of the screen as you do this. The pinpointing segments come in from the left and right as the coil becomes centered over the target even if the audio level seems like it is at max.

If you are over something big, you can 'detune' the pinpoint mode by starting the coil out partially over the target when you press the button and begin pinpointing. This effectively starts you off with less sensitity. Conversely, if you are having a hard time pinpointing something and can't seem to find it, you may have unknowingly started your pinpointing directly over the target, or something large nearby. Try moving the coil to a clean area and repressing the 'pinpoint' button, and begin your pinpointing again.

It was suggested above that you try both modes with a piece of pipe or similar and you will very quickly see what each mode will do.

Let us know how if that works for you.

Rich

A few days ago I read this post. That same day I went out detecting and switched over to sizing mode. I have to say, I like it and will probably stick with it.

So, thanks! :biggrin:

I switched over to Sizing Mode about 6 months ago - went back to Regular Mode for a day - didn't like it.
I like Sizing Mode the best - just my opinion - guess it's also what ever you get use to.

I like the SIZING mode myself. Personal preference.

Rich -