Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP !!!

Architex

Today I started to change to different coil then way that I have several times before. Except that the coil cord stuck in the shaft. Could not get the coil cord to come out.The coil connector was free so something must be caught in the shaft. Pulling either end would not free the cord. Again, I used the regimen that I always used for changing coils. BTW, the detector still works when coil connector was re-connected.

HELP!

Not a clue whats going on but some armor all protectant cant hurt to lube the cord. I used to be an electrician in my former life and we used wire lube on big pulls in conduit it make all the difference in the world.
Jeff

Except it's in the shaft. Could lube only pouring it, which is not a good idea I'm thinking.
But thanks for taking the time to reply.

The coil cord may have an over expanded curl in it, such that it gets stuck inside the upper shaft when the cable is not extended when it is pulled.When you've un-bolted from it's connector the curl goes back to a shape that may be expand to a larger diameter within the shaft and maybe the cause of it getting stuck.

You may need to re compress the curl of the coil cable by wrapping it around a relevant diameter rod ,timber is fine, equal to the original diameter of the inside of the curl of the coil cable and gently heating that cable while it is wrapped tightly on this rod with a heat gun (maybe hair dryer) and waiting for it to cool down.

Then wipe the cable gently on the outside with Armor All.

David Di

Archie....re-connect the connector to the control head as you would normally. Now unlock the cam lock and extend the rod full length. While it’s in this fully extended position,unscrew the connector. What happened?

Architex,

I think IDX is onto something.

Here's what I'd do:
Tie a strong string/cord behind/around the strain relief of the connector.
Not too large in diameter...so as not to interfere with the connector while sliding through the shaft.

Try removing the cable while maintaining some tension on the cable with the cord.
If/when it hangs, try stretching the cable back and forth with the cord while pulling from the other end.

This SHOULD help with any kinks that have formed.

Good luck,
:)
mike

IDMonster....nothing happened.

Now I'll the other suggestions from others and see what happens. I'm a little hampered being on a road trip as well (a detecting trip no less).

Thanks for all the help....appreciated.

But yesterday found a 1897 Indian Head and today I found a 1896 Barber Quarter so that helps with the problem.

Did you remove the solid plastic rod in the center of the coiled part of the cable? It is easy to detach it and reattach it but at times it causes the coil cable to NOT come out at the bottom of the rod when attached to the cable..

Nope, not the problem. I can pull both ends of the cable, but it's stuck in the upper shaft.

1. Should be able to take a rod of some kind and push it through the center of the coil. You could make a glob of tape on the end after the first try and maybe find the area that’s caught and free it.
2. Doesn’t hurt to flush it out from each end with a strong stream of water from a hose.
3. If nothing works, you take your two kids (age doesn’t matter) and have them pull on each end while you shove the shaft back and forth to free it.

Both my "kids" (in their 50's) are 300 miles apart. Might be bit of a "stretch" to pull the coil that far LOL.
But I might try the other ideas you had.

Ok another one: twist one end of the cable so it contracts in width. Keep going with it and I bet it frees itself.

That was the thing I tried last.....no such luck. :thumbdown:

Well I don’t know what COULD be going on...it’s a squarish piece of tubing with really no obstructions. There’s something here we aren’t connecting on unfortunately. Can you post a pic of what you have disassembled so far or how far you’ve broken it down? It’s a blank 2 foot long upper shaft. It’s almost impossible for this to really be happening,UNLESS there’s something that isn’t being included in this whole scenario. The COIL CABLE is stuck in the UPPER ROD?

Sorry,I just re-read....cable stuck in LOWER shaft. You can remove the lower shaft containing the cable attached to the coil from the machine,correct? So you have just a lower rod with a coil attached and a cable stuck in the lower shaft? So if that’s the case,spraying lube of some kind(water and dish soap) down the tube would hurt absolutely nothing,as an open machine is not involved. The remainder would simply drain out and dry up. A pic of what you have would help to solve this a lot faster....maybe.

That's right. I have only taken the coil and the end of the coil connector apart. Also about a half spoonful of Armorall into the upper end - no result.

Sorry if I miss-typed. It's stuck in the upper shaft. Can't see how a picture would help, I just removed the coil and disconnected the upper connector, that's it. Both shafts are still connected but able to slide.
Also I don't know how to remove the lower shaft if I need to that sometime time BTW.

If both shafts are able to slide,this means that they slide together all the way as if you were getting ready to screw the coil connector on,and it also slides open-to a point at which it stops,or bottoms out,correct? If this is the case,is the lower rod simply rotated within the upper shaft incorrectly?

Go to YOU TUBE you can watch short clips of how to do most 3030 things. you must turn the lower shaft to remove it as it has a cam shape to it. Might try a small dowel rod to help it out.