Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here we go again Back to Minelab for repairs?

Buried Crap NJ

I have not spoken to Minelab as I called and got the answering machine and should hear back in 24 hours?
I had reported back some time ago that the sq. portion of the carbon fiber was cut through by the gray plastic grip. I had send it back to Minelab as did others and had a repair done. At that time all Minelab did was replace the sq. carbon fiber tube. I told them that the tolerance was too close on the grip and it would not tighten enough not to allow wobbling. Sure enough its cutting through again not to the existent it was last time but its wobbling and this is an annoyance when hunting. I was hopping I could get away with a lower shaft but I am going to have to send it back again. I am so afraid they will make a Rupe Goldberg repair to get through the warranty period. I am quite sure they did not research carbon fiber for this type of use. This will continue to happen, I am hopping all 3030 users check to see what going on with yours? If you grip the handle and twist the square shaft it should not move,mine moves an 1/8 of an inch. Photos are last time and this time. Screws removed for pictures! I
BCNJ

Just a heads up emailed Minelab at 12:41 and received a response at 1:27 .I called Minelab at 12:40 and they returned my call back at 2:15 the same day! Spoke with Darin and he has issued a RMA # and the 3030 will be going back to Minelab for the repairs. I will also be receiving a new lower shaft and possibly cam lock.I also have to note here that I found the previous repair tag and found that the shaft and right and left grips were replace the first time. What can I say there can not be any better response than that! He has assured me that Minelab has been working the issues with the shafts and noted it only is beach and surf hunters having issues. This is most likely do to the environment (Sand) They are working on a fix.
So any other beach hunters keep your tool clean! LOL!
BCNJ

Good to hear the fast response time.. Hopefully future designs won't exhibit the same issues.

Well, thanks for the PM's and the updates. I just checked mine out since I had been noticing play that wasn't there originally and it does appear I have some cutting into the upper Carbon Fiber Shaft also. I guess, as much as I hate to do it, I should get in touch with them and see what they say. Here is a photo of my upper shaft.

Cliff

Hey Cliff sorry to see yours cut up too. I really think they never thought the carbon fiber idea through? Carbon while longitudinally strong its a fairly soft material ! I am glad to see Minelab recognizes the issue!
BCNJ

I just checked mine out, I don't seem to have this issue at the moment, but now that I know about it, I will be checking it on a regular basis.

Thanks for the heads-up.

BNCJ and Cliff, are both you beach hunting with your CTX's? I'm about a week from buying one and watching all the issues. I remember my first Explorer XS and all the cam-lock problems others had but that was around 15 years ago.

wvrick said:
BNCJ and Cliff, are both you beach hunting with your CTX's? I'm about a week from buying one and watching all the issues. I remember my first Explorer XS and all the cam-lock problems others had but that was around 15 years ago.

I am an avid beach hunter with thousand hours use on the beach since the day the machine came out. The first time was within 6 months of being new, this second time is almost a year later. But I did not hunt the beach as much last year as we were hit hard at my prime beach location and access was not allowed for over 100 days! At 2500 bucks I rinse this machine before putting it back in the truck and then again at home wash it. Sand is an evil thing!
BCNJ

wvrick said:

I mainly spend my time in the water but do hit the wet and dry sand. I believe BNCJ is mainly a beach hunter too.
I'll be making a call (or email) to Minelab today.
The little problems bother me but the machine is hot for me right now and I hate to send it back..... it is just better now to send it back then later in the warmer season. I've actually thought of picking up a second CTX so I'm not without one if/when I do have to send it back... I wouldn't have to worry about switching coils either.....

Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer, So now you put your head in your hands, oh no

Supertramp - Dreamer Lyrics

Cliff

Thanks for the info, just curious if sand was doing the damage. Sorry for the typo BCNJ on the above post. :)

BCNJ

Emailed Minelab today, answered within 2 hours, information given to them, RMA number is being created....Thanks again....

Cliff

I wrapped a piece of black electrical tape around the shaft at the wear area over a year ago and no issues since .

Ray-Mo. said:
I wrapped a piece of black electrical tape around the shaft at the wear area over a year ago and no issues since .

That is actually an interesting idea, no problems with interference when collapsing the shaft for storage? Does the tape hold up to saltwater very long?

Cliff

Maybe just a bit of fine sand and the constant back and forth in the water creates a slight grinding action on the griped area inside.

The resistance of the water on the coil and lower stem could be torquing the stem joint ever so slightly but over time distorts the precision fit untill there is enough clearance to create a lose fit.

If this is the case bit of electrical tape may indeed be the best preventive measure one could take. A may just provide that little bit of cushion needed to prevent the grinding action.

I have only used mine in water a few times but have noticed allot of water resistance on the thick shaft. It would be comparable to grabbing the top and bottom parts of the shaft with one hand each and twisting them back and forth for days on end.

Well just a thought anyway hope it may help. I'm going to try to get some tape in mine to prevent it.:beers:

By all means this is being caused by the envirorment that beach and surf hunters are working in! I am thinking Minelab didn't think the sand and carbon fiber combination all the way through. I think more bata testing was needed in the field prior to the release. I am guessing that those selected to use the machine didn't get much time in the field to replicate actual use in the real world. What's important here is Minelab has recognized the issue and have stepped up and are fixing and are currently seeking a solution. They could have just said it was from misuse by the user.
Geat job Minelab!
BCNJ

Mine is doing the same thing. I am disappointed because I take extra good care of my machine by washing it out very well every time I use it. Regardless of my efforts, the grip handle seems to be wearing through the fiberglass rod. I think they need to put some kind of shrink tubing to act like a rubber gasket and protect the rod itself.

I got my RMA and will be sending it back for repair.

Wow......mine seems ok for now....thanks for the heads up, something I will pay attention too.

- Mark

Glad they responded back to you....nothing worse than waiting for an anwswer for something....hopefully you get it back quickly.....

- Mark

Lepreshawn said:
Mine is doing the same thing. I am disappointed because I take extra good care of my machine by washing it out very well every time I use it. Regardless of my efforts, the grip handle seems to be wearing through the fiberglass rod. I think they need to put some kind of shrink tubing to act like a rubber gasket and protect the rod itself.

I got my RMA and will be sending it back for repair.

Wonder what the actually solution will be? A simple replacement or something new? Please keep us updated as to what they do and how long it takes to get back home.

I afraid to say the real fix doesn't look like its going to happen soon! They mention that a very thin rubber gasket seems to do the trick, I can't see that being the final answer? Its been only 1 year 9 months of use, and I lost a great deal of hunting in 2013 from hurricane Sandy.
This is my second return for the same issue. I take pretty good care of my detectors washing both at the beach and when returning home.
BCNJ