Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here's what you can miss if NOT using Pinpoint Trace mode...

Digger said:
this one will lead you to some visuals

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2307341,2307748#msg-2307748

Yeah I have read that article a couple of times now - seems like every time I get similar visuals it's just junk on junk. I don't know that I've ever recovered a coin with a screen like that.

TrpnBils said:
Yeah I have read that article a couple of times now - seems like every time I get similar visuals it's just junk on junk. I don't know that I've ever recovered a coin with a screen like that.

You might try switching to High Trash separation mode, and experiment with it to see if it helps in your ground.

Some ground will not like the Ferrous Coin sep mode that many use.

I know that one guy here was ready to wrap his CTX around a tree until he switched to High Trash.

Also, it's really hard to capture the screen dynamics of what is happening, with just one screen grab.
The screen doesn't just lock into the perfect picture like the manual shows...the signals are typically flashing/bouncing, and you have to spot the trends visually.

mike

trojdor said:
TrpnBils said:

You might try switching to High Trash separation mode, and experiment with it to see if it helps in your ground.

Some ground will not like the Ferrous Coin sep mode that many use.

I know that one guy here was ready to wrap his CTX around a tree until he switched to High Trash.

Also, it's really hard to capture the screen dynamics of what is happening, with just one screen grab.
The screen doesn't just lock into the perfect picture like the manual shows...the signals are typically flashing/bouncing, and you have to spot the trends visually.

mike

I made myself up a new mode last night with the same discrimination patterns (minimal on primary, wide open on secondary) but in 50-tone conductive instead of combined audio. I'm going to give that a shot next time I can get out. Do you know if soil conditions or something were causing the issue that changing to High Trash solved? In the areas I hunt, most of the time I wouldn't consider them "high" trash...there's some, yeah, but not an excessive amount.

I know about pp target trace but what is AM non-motion ...also I haven't yet figure out how to tell the difference in what the screen is painting ...it all looks like either almost round or sort of pixelated with the color not exactly round ..So if its all one color Red its a coin ? I have air tested plenty but haven't dug trying to learn the finer details before I tear up the turf in my yard .

the more "solid" the response, the more color in the TID. You can have very deep coins that barely give you cursor marks. Dont worry about a perfect TID cursor, lots of things can skew that. Just pay attention to the general FE-CO response and dig everything while you are learning. As long as you are watching and correlating to what you dig up you will learn it fairly quick. Also, take some time and browse back through old pages here on the CTX forum. Lots of repeated beginner questions and answers and advanced tips. Will save you a lot of time.

Could you post a screenshot or demonstrate what it looks when the machines screen show what is being painted ? And How to interpret what the screen is telling you .?

Bdlowder said:
I know about pp target trace but what is AM non-motion ...also I haven't yet figure out how to tell the difference in what the screen is painting ...it all looks like either almost round or sort of pixelated with the color not exactly round ..So if its all one color Red its a coin ? I have air tested plenty but haven't dug trying to learn the finer details before I tear up the turf in my yard .

When you turn on the lock for PP, and set it for 'sizing', you've now effectively got an AM non-motion mode of detection.

HOWEVER...and this is important...it's an advanced technique for hunting that you're probably not ready for, yet.
You need to master the basics first. Finesse comes later.

"I have air tested plenty but haven't dug trying to learn the finer details before I tear up the turf in my yard ."

I'm afraid you can only learn the 'finer details' BY tearing up the turf.
YouTube and forums can only take you so far.

I consider things like YT less college, and more 'day-care for adults'.
There are things with detectors you can only learn by digging hundreds of targets...yourself.

Hopefully, you've made yourself a coin garden. If not, it's a great/important way to start.
But there are no magic tricks that will shortcut that fundamental learning process, or the need for first-hand experience.

You're got yourself a great detector! Go out with it, get some dirt time, and have some fun... :thumbup:
:)
mike

trojdor said:

When you turn on the lock for PP, and set it for 'sizing', you've now effectively got an AM non-motion mode of detection.

HOWEVER...and this is important...it's an advanced technique for hunting that you're probably not ready for, yet.
You need to master the basics first. Finesse comes later.

"I have air tested plenty but haven't dug trying to learn the finer details before I tear up the turf in my yard ."

I'm afraid you can only learn the 'finer details' BY tearing up the turf.
YouTube and forums can only take you so far.

I consider things like YT less college, and more 'day-care for adults'.
There are things with detectors you can only learn by digging hundreds of targets...yourself.

Hopefully, you've made yourself a coin garden. If not, it's a great/important way to start.
But there are no magic tricks that will shortcut that fundamental learning process, or the need for first-hand experience.

You're got yourself a great detector! Go out with it, get some dirt time, and have some fun... :thumbup:
:)
mike

Fantastic post and thread Mike,I wish you lived closer. It’s down to earth,common sense statements that are at times lacking in some conversations. Literally...absolutely....no way around it....ALL of the reading and video watching in the world will NOT teach you detecting. It CANNOT be “outsourced”. How one person interprets signals may be slightly different,albeit equally effective, on the same machine with the same settings on the very same target. An 1/8th inch long piece of a bread tie can be the difference whether you dig that Seated dime or not. Running you’re sensitivity too high for conditions can lead to a person missing MOST of what the machine would otherwise report at much lower settings. Using the BASICS,the FUNDAMENTALS, will net you MOST of what will be found. When it comes to the nitty gritty,having invaluable tools such as Target Trace,FECO readout and Smart Screen,along with many other options for setup makes the CTX a stand-alone machine. I can’t visually interpret information that a machine doesn’t provide. For a COIN HUNTER, it doesn’t get any better. Coupling those abilities of the CTX with the BASICS,and implementing all of this information on every target that requires it makes for a hell of a good season. And I’ve had 3 in a row with the CTX. However,that being said,I don’t think I’ve touched about 1/2 of this machines capabilities. And this is where I also think a lot of people walk away from it. Attention spans are short these days,we are always looking for the easy way,instant gratification. Unless you are 100% IN on this machine,you can’t possibly realize all it can do. I’m hoping to use TT and TTP more and see if I can harvest yet MORE old coins out of places I’ve hunted personally for over 7 years.
Thanks for your insight on this and a lot of other threads Mike,you are clearly at (or very near anyway!) the very top of this game.

IDXMonster said:
Fantastic post and thread Mike,I wish you lived closer. It’s down to earth,common sense statements that are at times lacking in some conversations.
Thanks for your insight on this and a lot of other threads Mike,you are clearly at (or very near anyway!) the very top of this game.

Kevin,
Thank you very much for the kind comments.
I really appreciate it!
:beers:
mike