Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Hey there...'Hey Minelab', guys.

metalpopper

"Hi fellow lovers of CTX3030"

Tell me if you can, What method do you presently have available, to enable you to implement software updates....

if that is what you are all referring to?

matt.

Hello,
We have the means to update the CTX it's done just like adding a search program from the web. If your CTX is old enough we have had to do it once before for the Pinpoint Hold if I'm remembering correctly. The grumpiness comes from the lack of any update to the unit at all. The sales pitch was that your buying a very expensive unit but no worries it's upgradable with new software so your investment is good and as new things come along it's upgradeable. Only problem is "New Things" never came along. I love my CTX and it is a fine unit but at this point Nothing at all from them Ever?? It's a sad way to do business. Try sending your out of warranty unit in for repair to them at one of their authorized repair centers. I know one friends unit that's been there in Florida since December unopened.

They have shown no interest beyond the initial sale what so ever for anything.Ever

I have owned every model Minelab since the Sovereign.

CTTodd

Every Minelab since the Sovereign? I have owned 8 and though that was excessive. CTX is my most recent and I am most pleased with it. I'd love to be able to customize the screen (resize and shuffle things a bit) but I still think it is about the best stick for my needs.

Thanks for your reply CT...much appreciated.

I am not aware of previous 'up-dates', so still not clear on the implied method involved...apart from the

copying of a pre-defined 'patch', which you install via X-change 2..etc (...is that assumption incorrect ?)

I look upon X-change-2 methodology as a procedure where that program accepts 'text input' and simply

supplies them to the CTX as parameters in memory locations via an i/p port.

But I am not aware of how that same (limited) method, is capable of actually re-programing the embedded code that

is actually 'burned-in' to the controlling micro ?

Is it you understand of their update philosophy as being one whereby any competent hacker could ALTER the fundamental program?

READING the source code is OK with suitable tools, but I'd be surprised if they've left any 're-writable' facilities by which

it could be arbitrarily modified on chip (i.e.their software is on a re-writable chip, rather than 'burned-in' as an unalterable programmed i.c.

One would have to open up their boards, and examine the various chips functionalities, to better understand the overall architecture involved.

Anyone out there who have pictures of the boards?

I must confess, I am somewhat mystified as to what present CTX owners assume exists, regarding the remote-upgrading facilities available on their machine?

matt

"I am not aware of previous 'up-dates', so still not clear on the implied method involved...apart from the
copying of a pre-defined 'patch', which you install via X-change 2..etc (...is that assumption incorrect ?)........
I must confess, I am somewhat mystified as to what present CTX owners assume exists, regarding the remote-upgrading facilities available on their machine?
matt"

Google is your friend.
There were a couple of updates to the firmware code that could be downloaded and installed using the Xchange software.
The instructions for upgrading the firmware on the CTX is here:
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/95724/ctx-3030-upgradeinstructions.pdf

The first update in 2012 solved a problem with a 'coil not found' error, and was basically a general bug fix.

The second was this one, and the one Todd refers to:
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/115754/ctx-3030-upgrade-brochure.pdf

It was widely advertised and reported in the detecting media in late 2012, and as you can see, added to the functionality of the CTX by giving us the Pinpoint Lock hunting mode, Seawater setting, and improved the detector functionality in several areas.

There was also a 'quiet' update that did nothing more than add microcode to support a different controller chip...but there was no functionality change.

Finally, there was an update last year that added the Chinese language option. An update that had most of us scratching our heads...really? After a four year wait, all we get is Chinese?
https://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=294107

I love both my CTX's, (and won't part with either), but I'd have liked the trend started by Minelab in 2012 to have continued.

mike

You just don't get it. I'm out. Lol

I’ve been using the CTX3030 basically as soon as it was released and have used Minelab's Xchange2 to install any of the updates that it offered and I have chosen. I've always found it relatively easy to do. It’s not at all that complicated a process.

The software updates offered, I think were ones that mattered and appreciate that so far, it’s never a been case of “updates for updates sake” by Minelab. The last update that addressed the Chinese language is a case of "damned if they did" and maybe "damned if they did not". apart form stating the obvious, it's a matter of individual choice and useful if you needed it. Not so useful if you did not.

There are 3 coils available with the CTX3030, 6” 11”(stock) and 17” that were released by Minelab. Another 2 coils are from the non Minelab but authorized to be made by Coiltek.
So far other than some minor user adjustments, none of these 5 coils for the CTX3030 have ever required a software update, (not that I’m aware of anyway) that would allow any of them to be used on the CTX3030.

If ever there are going to be any other software updates released for the CTX3030 then naturally other than improving the CTX3030’s ability with tweaks that give it a performance improvement in being able to see nonferrous targets even better amongst surface/subsurface iron, that I think it would be useful to me and I’m sure many others, what else would need updating? I'm also happy for Minelab to make such alterations the CTX3030 performance improvements beyond what it does.

I’d like to see a dongle that could attach to and maybe utilize the USB port or even a revised WM 10 Wireless Module made available that would allow a hand held wireless in-line probe for the CTX3030. Now that would be useful :thumbup:

david di

When a machine is as good as the CTX is at a lot of things,it's easy to overlook the advertising promises that were made to begin with. Because I've only had mine for about a year,I'm not anywhere near as versed as some guys about what actually WOULD be a useful improvement yet. I know there have been suggestions made about what people would like the future upgrades to be. I don't recall the "Chinese language" update being one of them.
At work we have an Autel scanner that later got "upgraded" to be able to read Peugout ABS codes....REALLY??
For the initial cost and promises that came with the purchase of the CTX,it is not unreasonable to expect a few MEANINGFUL updates....as promised!
The PP lock and Seawater update is on the right track....USEFUL options,should they be needed.

Updates for the sake of Updates is what some people seem to want.
Whatever; some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Champ Ferguson said:
Updates for the sake of Updates is what some people seem to want.
Whatever; some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

"Updates for the sake of Updates"? Really? Some long time, loyal Minelab users have actually been requesting some very doable updates that would improve a now almost five year old unit. Minelab doesn't appear to listen (or care) about their customers. They used the "updateable" feature as a selling point.Top that off with arguably the worst support in the industry and you get some well deserved complaints.

trojdor said:
CT Todd said:
You just don't get it. I'm out. Lol

CT,
Were you commenting on mine or Matt's post?

Mike

His post, you're normal trojdor and you understand the original comment. There are a lot of people here that need to detect more internet less and finally move out of their moms basements.

I was a software developer for over 32 years. All software has bugs and all software can be refactored (rewritten) to be tighter and faster. There may even have been language updates to make the custom software to run faster. There is always a good reason to have a periodical updates even when no basic functionality has been introduced. Always remember, it takes awhile for written code to catch up to the hardware to utilize the features of the chips that the software is running on.

CT Todd said:
....There are a lot of people here that need to detect more internet less and finally move out of their moms basements.

Man, I am 100% on board with that one. Instead of sitting in front of a keyboard and wishing someone would give them a better machine, the snowflakes would do a LOT better if they got out and used the thing instead of spending so much time complaining on the web. Well said, Todd!

Since I started way back in the (shudder) disco era, I have chosen my machines based on what they will do for me NOW; not on some nebulous Maybe of what they might do in the future. I feel sad for the folks that want the magical machine handed to them without putting in the work.

I hear you Todd but it's only been 5 years lol , The only reason there is no update is there is nobody that is threating minelabs position of first place if that changes you might get a update or bill for new download . Same can be said for the battery seals and arm cuff . sube

Champ Ferguson said:
CT Todd said:
....There are a lot of people here that need to detect more internet less and finally move out of their moms basements.

Man, I am 100% on board with that one. Instead of sitting in front of a keyboard and wishing someone would give them a better machine, the snowflakes would do a LOT better if they got out and used the thing instead of spending so much time complaining on the web. Well said, Todd!

Since I started way back in the (shudder) disco era, I have chosen my machines based on what they will do for me NOW; not on some nebulous Maybe of what they might do in the future. I feel sad for the folks that want the magical machine handed to them without putting in the work.

I must be one of those "snowflakes" you speak of. Then again, I've only been hunting for over 45 years and using Minelabs for over a decade. BBS and FBS rule the wet sand, and that's why I use them. But what I do know is marketing BS and lousy support. I feel sad for the folks that actually believe Minelab cares about the customer. You sound like one of them. The "future of discovery" evidently didn't really include the future. You can, however, bet Minelab will magically release some updates at some point at a great cost. Or maybe wait to release the 3040....

ML your right they don't care at all after the sale.

To those that think we are just moaning here please read the entire set of posts. Both the "Hey Minelab" and this line. As well as others all over the CTX forum. Before you write back with a big Ra Ra Minelab post. We are long term Users of this machine.

This machine was sold to us as a cutting edge unit and it was. The problem IS that part of the sales pitch was that it would be possible to update it.

I won't get into the possible updates that could be done but there are a lot of valid changes and additions that could be done. As was expected.

The group of very dedicated Minelab users that really believe in the products feel let down by the actions of this company.

After the sale support is terrible. ( not looking for free things here) Just a reasonable turn around time.

The CTX was and is an expensive machine. I don't have a problem with that.But you should get what you pay for and Minelab should do what they said they would.

I very much like my CTX but it could be better.

CTTodd