Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High Karat Gold and Platinum Detecting: Questions and Observations

Stogger

A friend brought me an 18k gold pendant, and 18k necklace, and a platinum/gold pendant to check how these indicate with the CTX 3030.

-18k Pendant: The pendant was 18k gold, approximately 3/4" diameter and 1/8" thick. We put that on the ground. I had the detector on Andy's "Beach Mode" and tested with and without discrimination. (Response= Normal, Recovery Deep=On, Recovery Fast=Off, Target Separation= Low Trash, Pinpoint=Normal). What I found is the expected indication, a constant 12-07. But unexpected was with my normal swing, which I thought was slow as compared to others (~1.5-2 seconds each direction), there was no indication or sound, or a chirp with no indication on screen. It was only when I swung the detector very slowly (~3 seconds each direction) that I picked up a good signal (or even that something was there at all). So apparently I was swinging too fast for this pendant. Now a heavier 14k ring sounds off even with 1 second each direction. So it appears it's possible I've been missing pendants or items this size 3/4" and 18k gold for 5 years now. I'll try slowing my swing (even though this limits coverage) to see what happens. Any comments about this or detecting high karat gold items welcome. I've read this machine isn't the best for high karat gold, but the indication was solid with a slow swing.

-18k Necklace: This was a fairly thick necklace, guessing the length to be 18". We tested on the ground as a pile and also spread out. The indication under both conditions was not as expected. There was no gold indication at any time, pinpointing or not, discrimination or not. The screen indication was in the lower right of the screen (near the "Iron" range, spread out, not a solid indication and no circle). >30 FE, and between 25-50 CO. The audio was erratic. This was the same with discrimination or no discrimination. The indication stayed at the lower edge from half screen to the right side. (My friend told me its at least 18k but possible the necklace is 22 karat ...I didn't check it).

-Platinum/gold pendant: This was a smaller possibly 1/2" pendant with a gemstone. This indicated with my "normal" swing, but better with the slow swing. With the "normal swing" the indication (Circle) was 12 FE, 40-50 CO, and smearing between 12-25 and 12-50. With the slow swing, the screen would show 2 areas shaded especially when pinpointing, one around 12-07, and the other around 12-43. This showed a distinct 2 different metals.

Thanks for any comments or advice you may have,
Mike

Mike,

"I've read this machine isn't the best for high karat gold, "
The CTX does great with bigger pieces of high karat gold...it's the thinner/smaller gold that it has trouble with.
Size matters.
(Due mostly to the CTX's emphasis on the lower frequencies.)

"There was no gold indication at any time"
Just to be clear; there's no such thing as a 'gold indication'.
Gold (depending on it's size AND it's composition) can appear anywhere on the conductivity scale.

Having said that, it does appear (to me) you're getting either ground noise, or EMI (or both) that is causing that lower right signal trace / ID.
You might try a different separation mode, like Ground Coin to see if that helps. The optimal separation mode choice is very ground/location sensitive.
Also be sure to noise cancel.

(Although I don't use LT a lot, I've seen that lower right signal many times while trying to run FC in noisy mineralized ground.)

I wish you the best of luck with your gold finds,
:)
mike

Thanks Mike!

By "Gold Indication" yes I realize gold can wind up almost anywhere....just called it normal because that's the exact area 12-04-12-15 or so of most of the gold I've found (which isn't a whole lot) rang in. But good point, I've found gold items down near 12-38 region. and 17-35...

I thought about the ground noise but the signal was gone when the necklace was removed. And good point!! I should have checked with 'Ground Coin" ...I haven't used that one much at all.

And Bingo!! You hit that one on the nose! I was in a hurry and didn't noise cancel!! I found doing this often, even on the same beach in the same area seems good to do. This time I was over asphalt so I'm sure was off.

I'll see if I can do this exercise again, and pay more attention to the things you mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to respond here!! ...and good luck to you in your hunts as well!!
Mike

Try sensitivity 30, recovery smooth, not 17” coil.
Check volume gain and be sure its set high enough to catch it.
If this fails, enjoy the fact you aren’t digging little bits of foil like you would with an equinox.

hi bklein, I was using the 11". I'll definitely give that a try this weekend, if test jewelry is still available :) Thanks!!

I dig LOTS of foil, and nails, and pointy things, and bottle tops, flip tops that ring in at 12-15 every time, aluminum peel tops from drinks and pringles...and every now and then get something nice. Sometimes I wonder why I bought a detector with all this discrimination. (But very happy I did!!)

That sounds like the one I had. Spent about 8 months with it until I sold it and went back to my CTX. The smooth setting lengthens the audible target response and might help with faster swings. The Equinox really could use this function as it’s so fast responding you can miss a target. Try testing this setting on test targets and I think you might like it.