Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Historic Aerial Maps from the 1930's - 1970's

Charles B

Hello Ghost Town Gang....

Here's a resource that I thought you would like to check out.
I use this extensively to get the old Aerial photos from the late 1930's of an area and then compare it to more recent photos.
I've found many towns that are completely gone today using this technique.

Historic Aerial Maps from the 1930's - 1970's

:beers:
Enjoy

When you use Penn Pilot

1. Type in the location that you're looking for
2. Select an Era; the photo dates that you want to look at
3. Select Aerial from the top tool bar
4. Search and use soom to get a better look.

This works well for Western States with no tree cover. It's a little tougher in the East.

I just found 43 cents in clad and this marble.

[attachment 256812 riverphotos005Custom.jpg] [attachment 256813 riverphotos006Custom.jpg]

do not see the word aerial or a top tool bar. when i type in all the info all i see to click on is the word help. when i do that all that comes up is a small box with the info for penn. but nothing else. thanks.

Hello Fongu,

Cool marble....I've got a box of them myself. In fact I look for them. Also have a lot of keys that I find. We also hunt the old lumber camps and find axe heads, logging tools, horse tack etc....

did the google search but it still comes up with penn pilot and only a link to the state of penn.

Hi Chuck,

Here is the URL without linking to it.
Try to copy and paste this into your address bar and see if it works.

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

Charles,
When you are on Penn Pilot does it give the date of the map you are looking at?
I haven't messed with it much,but i will.

Labradorbob

Hello Bob,

Penn Pilot will give 3 eras of maps/photos to look at with the oldest in aproximately 1937. The others are in 1957 and 1967. You're able to compare photos of the same areas over about 50 years. Newer photos can be found with Google Earth. These photos are great for overlaying onto maps to see exactly where towns or old ball fields etc...were.

I got ya, and thanks!

can't find the post where you asked about the maps i'm looking at. thats the problem with logging in. if you're not logged in it shows what each message under the topic says but when you log-in it just shows the title. i have not been able to get to any maps. i'm looking for a town in indiana and apparently when you go to penn pilot thru psu.edu all you can get is stuff in penn. thanks.

You are right, the rest of the country is current aerial.

there is no search link on there. the only one i see is help and that is what i've been clicking, then a small box comes up but it is just for penn. and it asks for the same info again,name of town and era. thanks.

chuck said:
did the google search but it still comes up with penn pilot and only a link to the state of penn.

It did the same thing to me, Chuck. But, when I put the name and state of the town and state I was interested in the dialog box and clicked on the little search icon, it took me right to the town I was metal detecting in that weekend.