Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hot! Hot! Hot!

jim tn

Forums have all been pretty quiet of late. Hot temps keeping many from getting out or forcing us to shorter hunts I guess. What about you water hunters?

I'm still getting out most days starting out early mornings, but hunts are shorter. By mid morning our temps here are 90 or so.

Nothing outstanding finds or information wise, but for the heck of it I decided over a five day period to recover as many zinc cents as I could from a picnic area of one of our older city parks. For some reason there just seemed to be an inordinate number of zinc cents scattered around the picnic area and maybe they might be masking something better. Plus, the whole picnic area is shaded by big, old oak trees.

Used the Nox 900, mostly with the 6" coil. Area is heavily trashed. On my 900, zinc's read +/- 60.

Over the course of the five days, I recovered 347 zinc cents. All were popped with a screw driver. Along the way, though, however, I had to unsheathe my Predator hand digger a few times. 2 times for silver Rosies that had been masked by zinc cents, 6 times for wheat cents, once for a small 925 ring and a few times for some deeper clad and Memorial cents. Besides the zinc's, I recovered about $6.00 in clad and cents.

I have actually hunted the picnic area numerous times over the years and recovered silver coins going back to the Barber era along with a few I H cents. If I were younger, I would grid a small area or two and dig out all the bottle caps, varieties of pull tabs, foil and other junk as I just know there are still some old goodies laying beneath the trash. You all stay hydrated out there. HH Jim Tn

Here in south Texas its 106 in the shade you can almost fry eggs on my drive way
:hot:. Its been like that for months.We need rain bad:help:

Attachments

• texas rain guage.jpg
    texas rain guage.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 50
It’s been very hot up my way too.
I had been hitting a small wood patch looking for civil war bullets since it is shady, but I ran into two Yellow Jacket nests last time I was there.
Luckily I did not he stung and decided to hold off until later on to try again.
I have been water hunting some, but finds are scarce where I have been trying.
But at least I’m can keep detecting and the water feels good.

It’s been very hot up my way too.
I had been hitting a small wood patch looking for civil war bullets since it is shady, but I ran into two Yellow Jacket nests last time I was there.
Luckily I did not he stung and decided to hold off until later on to try again.
You sure you weren’t flailing your arms and cussing like me? 🤭 They tried to tackle me and got in a few licks but in the end, they got the beating of a lifetime 😂

Forums have all been pretty quiet of late. Hot temps keeping many from getting out or forcing us to shorter hunts I guess. What about you water hunters?

I'm still getting out most days starting out early mornings, but hunts are shorter. By mid morning our temps here are 90 or so.

Nothing outstanding finds or information wise, but for the heck of it I decided over a five day period to recover as many zinc cents as I could from a picnic area of one of our older city parks. For some reason there just seemed to be an inordinate number of zinc cents scattered around the picnic area and maybe they might be masking something better. Plus, the whole picnic area is shaded by big, old oak trees.

Used the Nox 900, mostly with the 6" coil. Area is heavily trashed. On my 900, zinc's read +/- 60.

Over the course of the five days, I recovered 347 zinc cents. All were popped with a screw driver. Along the way, though, however, I had to unsheathe my Predator hand digger a few times. 2 times for silver Rosies that had been masked by zinc cents, 6 times for wheat cents, once for a small 925 ring and a few times for some deeper clad and Memorial cents. Besides the zinc's, I recovered about $6.00 in clad and cents.

I have actually hunted the picnic area numerous times over the years and recovered silver coins going back to the Barber era along with a few I H cents. If I were younger, I would grid a small area or two and dig out all the bottle caps, varieties of pull tabs, foil and other junk as I just know there are still some old goodies laying beneath the trash. You all stay hydrated out there. HH Jim Tn
I'm getting ready to do this exact same thing at my favorite park as well. Your post has inspired me even more to get it done! Nice finds.
George

Thanks, guys, yeah, yellow jackets and woods seem often to go hand in hand. Had a hunting buddy, (RIP Chris) that while woods hunting he got nailed 7 times. He had a bad reaction to so many stings that he was down for two full days. He was never too fond of woods hunting after that. I've avoided getting stung, but those damn wood ticks seem to love me. Water down everyone! HH jim tn

Yes you gota dig those zincs , I had a guy let me scan his mens gold ring to my suprize it came right in with a zinc penny, and sounded the same it was a 13 gram 14 k yellow gold after that i always dig the zincs.

/amazing that you found that many zincs. 347 = Wow!
I really can't figure it out. They are just scattered throughout the picnic area. I thought maybe they were thrown around for kids like an Easter egg hunt, but the area is grassy and the kids wouldn't be able to find the coins all that easily. Most were just under the surface down to a couple of inches deep. Shallow, but not really fresh drops, either. Wish the 347 would have been quarters, or even dimes. One of those, "if only they could talk." HH Jim Tn

If you simply watch people at gatherings and they drop coins, or someone finds coins, they seem to pick up nickels and up and leave the pennies. Its the hell with it be
“I will pick up a nickel but I will leave five pennies” lazy attitude.

hi Jim!
how are you doing? is your pacemaker workin' ok?
know you had one implanted a few years ago! hope you are doing ok!
fisher f-75 with the 5" coil.for a long time, your weapon of choice!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

how are you doing? is your pacemaker workin' ok?
Hi jmaryt, doing great, after 10 years wore my 1st one out and a couple of years now into my 2nd. Yeah, on the F 75....now though, the Nox 900 and its 6" coil is pretty good. That hockey puck really was a killer, though. You still swinging? HH jim tn

I hear ya Jim on the zincs and heat. I'm still swinging the F75's. Been doing some clad hunting myself. Early morning is best for me. Even in Michigan it's been hot!!! But still digging a few wheats and a couple mercs.... hhricknmi