Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How about fresh water hunters ?

Willee - Texas

Since I live on the gulf coast I would use the beach programs a lot ... but sometimes I travel inland and hunt the fresh water beaches.
information I see about Beach 1 and 2 programs refer to "salt" water conditions.
How about the fresh water?
I assume that park 1 and 2 would be the better choice for hunting dry and wet sand and even in the water on fresh water beaches since there is no "salt" to deal with.
How about some of you fresh water hunters posting what you have found to be the better program to use.

That is a good question!!!

Back in the '90's, I lived on The Cape (Ma) and was a regular beach hunter.
But I hooked up with a gal who liked to swim in the fresh water ponds ('bogs' ) that abound there.
While she swam, I fooled around with the various detectors I owned then and almost all had zero issues in the shallows!

So I'm thinking 'any Mode' will do? But, I'd still be inclined to go with 20 or 40kHz, that might max out the chance of locating rings, other jewelry and thin gold chains?
A reduced Sens, 18-20, Disc out -9 to 1, Iron Bias 0, Recovery 2 - 4...

Thoughts anyone????

I haven't done any freshwater detecting yet, but plan to do some. The manual recommends using park mode as a good starting point for freshwater detecting..

"Park Mode is a good starting point for other general uses, such as freshwater detecting, or use for artefact hunting by accepting all ferrous Target IDs."

Des D said:
That is a good question!!!

Back in the '90's, I lived on The Cape (Ma) and was a regular beach hunter.
But I hooked up with a gal who liked to swim in the fresh water ponds ('bogs' ) that abound there.
While she swam, I fooled around with the various detectors I owned then and almost all had zero issues in the shallows!

So I'm thinking 'any Mode' will do? But, I'd still be inclined to go with 20 or 40kHz, that might max out the chance of locating rings, other jewelry and thin gold chains?
A reduced Sens, 18-20, Disc out -9 to 1, Iron Bias 0, Recovery 2 - 4...

Thoughts anyone????

Des

My sandy bottom lakes allow max gain on almost every machine I have used. There are specific circumstances where things can be different. Gravel bottoms or areas with large cobble that contain hot rocks of various types may require different settings or simply a different machine/coil type.

In any case I suspect the NOX will shine as a fresh water hunter.
Tom

Hi Tom,

Good of you to reply to my Post.

Yes, I'd agree with you. I remember being able to run Full Sens.

Des

I’ve had it in the fresh water a couple times now and have been running Park 2. It is very stable and seems to be working as good as my CTX.
Also, Clive Clynick,s new Equinox book states on page 37 under the Park 2 mode “Park 2 is also a good fresh water hunting mode in that it doesn’t have the salt water frequency weighting of the two Beach Modes.

All I hunt is freshwater lakes and rivers and purchased this unit exclusively for freshwater. I just received my new 800 and will be using it this Sunday all day. I am going to use park 2 right away and go from there. I will need many hours to become familiar with this unit. I've owned many water machines in my time and this unit has me the most excited of all and I haven't even used it yet. I will post my finds and give my first use impressions of this unit.

I wish I could help. Water in Michigan is not warm enough for diving yet. Have my 800 ready and no place to play.

tbw said:
Wondering if anyone has any new info or thoughts on fresh water hunting?

I just put my boat in the water yesterday. Fixing my dock this weekend and going in next week. I will keep folks posted who are interested.

Gave one a run today at an old beach (mine is due Monday) and decided on Park 2 as others have stated. Field 2 "may" be hotter but at this old beach I got tired of trying to dig lead split shot. They do double beep but I can't resist chasing the darn things. LOL Admittedly I did not run the exact same areas with Park 2 but again, there did seem to be a difference. Now in clean areas, such as sand bars, looking for fresh drops Field 2 should come into play to get those gold chains.

Tom

There is a lot of excitement over the Equinox including myself. I got one ASAP and am very pleased with it. Since I was not really active in metal detecting when the AT Pro came out, I wonder if it generated a lot of excitement like the Equinox series.

maxxkatt said:
There is a lot of excitement over the Equinox including myself. I got one ASAP and am very pleased with it. Since I was not really active in metal detecting when the AT Pro came out, I wonder if it generated a lot of excitement like the Equinox series.

A lot of excitement as well as a lot of anger. The first generation of AT-Pros had some issues that took a year or so to get ironed out.