Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How deep is deep

sparkster

Went out to a park this morning that I have hunted at least 10 times. I was just in a mood to watch the sun come up and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having here in Southern California. Started hunting around 6:30. Not much to find being as I have hunted this park so many times. Found 6 clad dimes and a 1 clad quarter in about 45 minutes.

On my way back to the car I got a 12-45 signal at 8". It was not a great, hard hitting quarter signal like I usually get. I dug the plug, put my dirt on a towel but no coin. Used the pro pointer and it's still in the hole. I dug and I dug and I dug. Target is still in the hole. I'm starting to think, CAN SLAW. After I get about half way to China, out pops a 1991 clad quarter. I put my lesche digger in the hole and it disappears except for about 1" of the red hand grip. When I get home I measure the depth and it turns out it was about 10".

That is very deep for my area. What are some of the greater depths the rest of you CTX users are finding.targets. Up until this I think 8.5" to 9" on a dime is the max I have dug a coin.

Thanks for reading-------------Happy Hunting

I just dug a 2012 dime at almost 7 inches on a ball field...figure that one out!!! :shrug:

I was at an old ball field a few days ago that in the late 1800s and early 1900 was an old fair ground. I dug two clad dimes ,two wheat pennies and one 1988 quarter. The quarter and one of the dimes was down a solid 10". Really busted my bubble on any chance to find old silver.
The wheats were at the 9 to 10 in mark.Go figure. Proves only one thing that nothing is chiseled in stone.

Well i think its gata be Fill Dirt????? Only thing i can figure??????

I too find clad coins very deep. In the past I have hunted local parks.
They mow these parks even in very wet weather and ground conditions. I believe this is the reason you find clad coins so deep.
I sometimes find silver coins only a couple of inches deep. This is around trees and fences where they do not get their equipment as
close as possible. I could be wrong about this but I don't think so. Happy hunting.

Carver

No mickfin, this ball field is and it has moist soft clay like dirt in the outfield especially. I've hunted it a half dozen time or more and it always seems to swallow the coins, tabs etc very quickly. almost seems like a quick sand effect.. but I did not expect that 2012 dime to be 7 inches within a year..

You asked, "How deep is deep?"

It's when you knowingly retrieve an item deeper than any that went before it with that particular machine.

Des D

I have found 300 year old coins at 1 inch and modern coins at 8 inches. Soil must get disturbed quite a lot in many ways i guess. 10 inch deep coins are often not that old really.
I am sure coins are down deep underground well beyond 10 inches in some places , There is probably many coins buried in the 10 to 36 inch range on some inland sites. I have seen
18 inch deep coins been dug with Pi machines here in the UK. I never got a coin past 10 inches ever on inland sites.

10 inches on a newer Lincoln
Probably got stuck on the side of the hole on edge and some poor detectorist with out a pen pointer kept digging and gave up.
Then as they refilled the hole they pushed dirt that knocked the coin off the side and down to the bottom at 10 inches.

Then a ctx came along and boom a fairly new coin at 10".

Depth can be directly related to the area or soil content. A low area where water can stand for longer periods of time will sink coins faster and deeper.
Soil has a low density and a solid metal coin will have a high density, causing the coin to sink each year farther and farther into the ground.

Make note of hilltops, targets will often be shallow. This is due to the drainage and as the water is carried off, it will carry soil with it. this often makes the remaining soil harder.
Low areas where the water is run into will bring the soil from the higher areas and cover the coins with even more material. Thus a deeper target.

Tom in SC

tmanly said:
Depth can be directly related to the area or soil content. A low area where water can stand for longer periods of time will sink coins faster and deeper.
Soil has a low density and a solid metal coin will have a high density, causing the coin to sink each year farther and farther into the ground.

Make note of hilltops, targets will often be shallow. This is due to the drainage and as the water is carried off, it will carry soil with it. this often makes the remaining soil harder.
Low areas where the water is run into will bring the soil from the higher areas and cover the coins with even more material. Thus a deeper target.

Tom in SC

Hey Tom. I live in SC too. What type of settings do you use and depth do you usually achieve here in SC? The reason why I ask is because I have done some tests and 7"-9" max is what I'm getting with the 11 incher. I'm not in a low lying area, just "average". These older silvers seem to be out of reach or am I missing something here? Thanks and "How deep is deep?" and "How deep is it?".

The deepest I have found a clad was about 5"- 6" under. Not sure if the dirt plus precipitation here made them that deep or like others have said about fill dirt and digging.

As almost all of us I have dug Mercs at 9 to 10 inches, and got two mercs melted together at about 10", I get old rusty water pipes, usually banging in at 12 36/39 at 2 and 3 feet with manual sensitivity at 24-26, and on the beach coins and other small targets at over a foot in wet sand. Having said that, my normal is about 4 to 7 inches for most targets. Seems like certain soil conditions, dampness, no trash near, etc., make for deeper targets. For the year, since jan. 1, I have almost 2000 coins with 51 silvers and a lot of them were no deeper than about 6 inches.

AngelicStorm said:
tmanly said:

Tom in SC

Hey Tom. I live in SC too. What type of settings do you use and depth do you usually achieve here in SC? The reason why I ask is because I have done some tests and 7"-9" max is what I'm getting with the 11 incher. I'm not in a low lying area, just "average". These older silvers seem to be out of reach or am I missing something here? Thanks and "How deep is deep?" and "How deep is it?".

The deepest I have found a clad was about 5"- 6" under. Not sure if the dirt plus precipitation here made them that deep or like others have said about fill dirt and digging.

I have a CTX on order and it should arrive this week. so I can not answer your question at this time. With the Etrac, I often find coins 8 to 9 " in my soil. It depends on where I am hunting as to the settings.
Most of the time I just use the stock coins, Auto +3 and Fast ON. To find deep coins, I have found that you need to move very slow and allow the detector to recover from any nulls that iron may produce.

Tom in SC