Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Do You Cash In Clad? Was Using Coinstar For Ease Of Use & Not Needing To Tumble But I've Found A Better/Cheaper Way To Cash'em In Without Tumbling

Critterhunter

I've been using Coin Star for a long time because I don't have to tumble. I do wash them in a bucket of warm soapy water but don't tumble because I saw a TV show about that company and turns out part of that 9.8 cent fee they charge per dollar is used to sort and clean/polish the clad, unless I heard them wrong about the polishing part of it. Pretty sure I didn't. They then sort by whether it's in good enough shape to put my into circulation or to end up trading the treasury for new coins.

So I figure if they are cleaning/polishing and sorting anyway for that 9.8 cents or whatever, I don't need to be using my tumbler on them. Way I figure then it's worth it to me not to have to tumble my clads by paying that fee.

Only thing I do, besides washing them in a bucket of soapy water, is to sort out any coins that are so badly ate up they might jam the machine, which usually turns out to be some zincs. Most of that stuff will get spit back out the machine, and if it does jam the clerks will unfreeze it real quick, but just the same I don't like the embarrassment of them seeing the dirty looking clads I've been dumping into it, so I make sure to fish out any bad ones before hand these days and use those as spending change when I can.

But recently I happened upon a better idea...My neighbor is always rolling her change from her husband and son, so for Christmas we got her a coin sorter that sticks them into rolls by type and automatically levels it off to the right coin amount for each roll. Really sweet setup. I shopped around at the office supply stores and various chains, comparing best prices and features. Many of them lacked one thing or the other, such as many ran on batteries which I didn't like instead of plugging into the wall. Turns out Sprawlmart had the best one feature and price wise, and it'll even sort out dollar coins too. It handles handfuls at a time so it's fast and was only around $26 (the biggest model they had).

Here's a pic of the thing. It pretty much looks like the same one but I think the one we got her is all black and it does plug into the wall. Got to be the same company but I couldn't find one exactly the same color and that didn't run on batteries in this model online at Sprawlmart for some reason...
[attachment 256347 51fTC6MIu3L__SL500_AA300_.jpg]
I like the darn thing so much after watching my neighbor use it as a handy time saver that I'm going to pick one up myself for my detected clads. That'll save me the 10 cent fee on using Coinstar, and also there still won't be any need to tumble. I'll just wash, let the machine sort them into rolls, and head up to the bank.

You can either use standard pre-formed coin rolls meant for coin sorters that are cheap and found at most stores, or you can just dump the sorted coins that fall into the plastic tubes not using pre-formed coins rolls right into standard bank coin rolls which are free. Even without the pre-formed rolls stuck in the plastic tubes, the machine still puts the proper amount of coins into each coin type tube for a roll. The machine is slanted backwards so once a tube is filled to proper level any excess coins fall into a drawer at the back of the machine. I'm pretty shocked at how many coins it can handle being dumped in at one time. Forget the exact # but it's a good big hanfull at a time.

One tip she figured out- Don't keep stopping the machine every time a roll fills up. Instead, just keep dumping your mix of coins in until all the rolls are filled. Once that happens, empty the rolls, take the excess coins out of the holding place in the back where they fall, and start dumping them all in again. She kept trying to stop it for each roll filled as they happened, until she realized that was costing her time rather than saving it. Far easier to just dump a good mix of all coins in and keep going until every roll is filled.

Take them to a bank that don't know you. I did that one time at my bank and they open and check all rolled coins for slugs and proper count. They told me to not bring dirty coins in there again so I tumble all coins since then and there has been no problem. They dump them into their counter and I get 100% back so tumbling really is not that much of a problem and the least we can do is clean the coins we find. Here is the last batch I tumbled.

[attachment 256372 clad.jpg]

I take my clad to my credit union. One of the benefits of membership is that I do not have to roll coins or pay to have them counted. Just dump them in the machine and wait till they are counted and take the receipt to the young lady at the counter and get American Greenbacks. I do tumble the clad before I take it to the credit union.

I use a double barrell tumbler, and don't roll them,cause my bank just opens rolls and runs them through a counting/sorting machine. Just take them in a container(even a coffee can will do) and the total is either deposited or paid out,(my choice). As far as tumbling goes 2hours with aquarium gravel and a little soap usually does the trick. I run the tumbler in the garage because it is a bit noisy.

Larry, that's a nice batch of coins!

Cleaning them is the right thing to do and it doesn't take too much time or effort.:thumbup: