Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How good is the sovereign gt?

Thegreat26

Hi there. Firstly i know that this is a sovereign forum so its the right place to find what i am looking for.
i am using the explorer 2 for 4-5 years now and lately i start feeling some pains in my back after some hours of detecting. Always i wanted a backup powerful detector so i would be able to borrow it to some mates of me to go hunting together.
After these pains issue i thought about buying a sovereign gt which i heard is heavier but better balanced than my explorer.
Now its up to you to help me decide if the choice is right. I know its a slow detector but i always was the slow explorer type of detectorist.
Tell me about advantages and disadvantages of sovereign.
Please any help would be appreciated.

Hi TheGreat26,

The Sovereign IMO is one of the best detectors ever made, especially the GT model. They just seem to get better and better with every generation.

Most Minelab machines are slow sweepers so going from an Explorer to a Sovereign will be no shock to you. The Sovereign will most definitely stand it's ground against an Explorer in terms of depth and performance. You're simply losing all the bells and whistles that you may or may not be using anyways. The Sovereign will easily go just as deep and it's target ID lock is second to none.

As for weight the Sovereign is still a heavy machine but is better balanced than the Explorer line IMO. You also have the advantage, unlike the explorer, to detach the control box from rest of the detector and hip or chest mount it. That alone will rid you're arm of 70% of the detectors weight right there and put it where it should be, on you're legs. You can then swing you're coil all day with very little fatigue if any.

The tones are different with a Sovereign so you will have to adjust to that. Personally I like the Sovereign tones much better over the tooty flutey Explorer sounds. I also like having knobs because I make setting change on the fly very quickly. No menus to jump through etc.

The Sovereign alone is a monster of a machine. Pair it with a meter and a little practice and you'll be well on your way to making some terrific finds.

~Joseph

Thegreat26 said:
Hi there. Firstly i know that this is a sovereign forum so its the right place to find what i am looking for.
i am using the explorer 2 for 4-5 years now and lately i start feeling some pains in my back after some hours of detecting. Always i wanted a backup powerful detector so i would be able to borrow it to some mates of me to go hunting together.
After these pains issue i thought about buying a sovereign gt which i heard is heavier but better balanced than my explorer.
Now its up to you to help me decide if the choice is right. I know its a slow detector but i always was the slow explorer type of detectorist.
Tell me about advantages and disadvantages of sovereign.
Please any help would be appreciated.

make sure and post this over on the explorer forum so you get balanced responses as both forums will tend to be a little biased. your loosing more than bells and whistles but I agree with Joseph about some of the other benefits of the sov, great depth, being able to hipmount/chestmount. The sovs a great machine.
from one to the other I find not being able to adjust the iron mask on the sov is a disadvantage for one, another is the sov has sweeter sounding tones but the explorer has a greater range of tones. you can seperate silver from clad with the explorer as well, often enough in most cases and youve got both a screen graph and digital with the explorer(with backlight) to help analyze finds. depends on how well you got to know your explorer and used its various settings.
the sov is much simpler to operate.both are great detectors:minelab:

Here is the Balance side of the explorers/sov debate, I have the SE, use it for the land, wish it was water proof, think it would work almost as well as the Excalibur { a waterproof Sov.} if not better in the water. On land it is deeper then the excal and with the bell's and whistles gives me lots of info, depth which is important cause, if I get a few Wheaties at 6 inch, there maybe more goodies at this depth and I can save the upper targets for the next hunt. I use the digital screen more then the smart screen, I know it jumps alot, but with the tones and watching the meter I can almost call the targets if they are coins. And I can go on..............., the Sov. is a great machine, and can be belt mounted. Several here swear by them, { I've never had one but would like to have one for the beach}. I had a little trouble with the tones at first with the excal, but like all machines, you just have to give them the time, and it will come. { I'm telling myself that now, I just got a infinium PI what a beast to learn } One question, are you willing to learn a new machine, and maybe you should go with the swing thing for the Explorer...My opinion, about 16 years with the original XS, SE and 4 years with the excals, 10 and 8....good luck.. .Joe

I went from the Sovereign to Explorer and now Etrac and i wouldn't go back, don't get me wrong the sovereign is a great machine but some of the things it lacks you have amongst the so called bells and whistles on the others, variable iron mask, depth readings(although not 100% and size relative) tone ID in all metal, sizing in pinpoint on the etrac. Depth wise i think they have the edge as well although it is slight but more noticeable on the smaller items especially with the SEF coils.
I use an Excalibur 2 for the water and have an XS2apro in reserve but i tend to go for the Etrac on the majority of outings and only use the Excalibur where it can't go. the day a waterproof etrac comes out the rest will probably be sold(especially if you could change coils with ease).

Have you tried the etrac?, it feels lighter as the handle angle has been changed and together with the 11" stock coil is much more manageable than the SE i had previously, the coil is good too for its size. The reason i ask is i think the learning curve on the Sov is greater than the explorer/etrac(not refering to controls) as you only have sound to guide you whereas on the others the screen can help, maybe an upgrade to the Etrac would be more suitable as your already half way there.

Another other option is talk to GDmax about FRANK
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,1176603

dear kered. The etrac is the machine i always wanted. I know that is for me at least the best detector arount but unfortunately money is an issue now after having my new born baby. I was just looking for a cheaper easier to swing explorer 2 alternative. I will not stop using my explorer but i want to know that in the back of my truck i will have a powerful enough alternative

I haven't used one,but I hear they can take the weight off,and they aren't that expensive.
As to the Sovereign,I have the XS model and they are a great detector.I don't use a
meter because I'm mostly in sand when I use it,so I hipmont it, use the tones,and
the shaft and coil are light enough to hunt for hours comfortably.Good luck on your
choice.HH Joe

I paid for mine from the findings from the beach using the Explorer, it soon mounts up with the odd ring or two, you can make a swingythingy easy and cheeply, make sure the cord comes from as close to the shoulder as posible, that way no pull on either swing, a trick i use is to shorten the rod an inch too when i'm tired
If you have the dosh for a soveriegn you half way there or even closer.
Good luck on your quest, well worth the wait

thank you all for you help.

Hey guys you can have your sov. updated to get about 2-4in more from a dealer in the south.Think he said 100 bucks. I got a GT ordered since x-mas and a power booster and a 5in head paid up front. Had I known about the upgrade for 100$ i wouldn't have opted for the power booster.Hope this helps/ Bob in Mo.(shortribs)

TheGreat,I have used both the Explorer and the Sovereign.Long hunts with the Explorer for a couple of weeks will give me an arm pain.The Sovereign even though heavy is balanced better and doesn't give me prolonged shoulder and arm pain.The Sovereign can find coins both deep silver and copper missed by the Explorer and vise versa both have great depth.The Sovereign for me is more simple and effective for the places I search.The Sovereign performance and ergonomics wise much better on the beach in a class by itself.Don't get me wrong I like my Explorer and in the near future will try an Etrac.If money is an issue Dollar for Dollar nothing is even close value wise.HH Ron

it seems that i took my decision. Tomorrow morning im ordering my sovereign. wish me good luck!

Thegreat26 said:
it seems that i took my decision. Tomorrow morning im ordering my sovereign. wish me good luck!

Congrats is in order my friend.
No matter how different opinions may be at times on here there is 1 thing for certain. You can't go wrong with a Sovereign or Explorer or even a Minelab for that matter. All great detectors.

I've owned three Explorers and so this is my opinion having only owned the GT for I think five or six months now...

What don't I like about the Explorer? It's heavy and unbalanced and wears me out much quicker than the stock GT. Or, you can easily hip mount it right out of the box and make it even easier to use than the Explorer. The Explorer's jumpy ID has too much resolution IMHO, making patterns a blurry mess when trying to split hairs on certain targets...namely rings. Even with deeper coins the ID floats and jumps around too much for me which makes trying to tell a coin from a piece of trash a much harder job. One of my main tools when deciding this is how the ID is reacting, and with the Explorer I can't always rely on that information as a deciding factor. The audio on the Explorer is much shorter in response and so not as telling to me about the target's traits. The GT reminds me of the good long audio that contains a lot of information like on some Whites, yet with the multitones of a Minelab to really give me everything I want to hear and decide on targets with. The Sovereign's VDI is perfect to me- not too high which would make it jumpy (Explorer, Etrac), yet not too low to make it hard to split hairs on things like say gold rings and pulltabs (most other machines on the market). Interestingly enough, the M6/MXT have a very similar VDI resolution, only slightly smaller than the Sovereign's. Both of those machines are know for their ability to split hairs on rings versus trash, yet they don't offer the slightly better resolution of the GT and also it's more multitone sounds to really clue you off to possible target identity. I've also said in the past that I feel the GT unmasks coins in trash and iron better than the Explorers I've owned, but I'll not re-hash all that here. Also, read the 15x12 thread on here because I go into other details why the GT is a better performing/deeper machine *to me*.

Others may differ in opinion and that's perfectly fine. How each of us wants a machine to re-act and tell us what it's seeing in the ground largely determines our opinion on it's performance and depth. If you can't understand what a machine is telling you because your personality makes another machine a better match then it won't do as well for you. From what I've seen, used, and read on the Explorer, Etrac, and Sovereign I do not see any distinct depth advantage of any over the other. If anything one will out perform the other based on the user, coil, and even ground conditions. So far for me the Sovereign has always been ahead in all those respects.

Are there any features of the Explorer that I miss? Not really, other than being mesmerized by that nice computer screen. When I first got my hands on one I thought the 2D discrimination with ferous/non-ferous content was the be all to end all as far as detectors go. It wasn't long before I realized the problems it presented. For instance, take two identical tabs that will read the same number on a GT because they both came off the same six pack of beer cans. I've swept those into an Explorer and found that ALL SIX could read slightly different than each other due to it's looking so microscopicly at the traits of those targets. What that means is trying to develope a pattern to avoid tabs and yet dig most of the gold rings is MUCH harder to do and almost a pointless waste of time to me when I tried it. I've long searched for the perfect VDI scale to give me just the right touch on rings and other targets and I believe I've found it in the GT. I'm more of an old coin hunter than a ring hunter but it's still a passion of mine and a project I've played with down through the years with the machines I've owned. Can't wait to do some serious ring hunting this summer with this beast.

aargh im just informed that my sov is not coming earlier than may. What shall i do?

I hear Critterhunter is going to peal down an etrac to just under 2 pounds for his next project so if you ask nicely he may sell the GT:lmfao::heh: (only joking CH)

Seriously though, keep an eye on the clasifieds, one may come up although probably elevated in price as the T2, GPX4500 and others were due to shortages, May is only next month so not long to wait

I have an SE, an E-TRAC, and a SovereignGT and the ET is not deeper than the Sovereign, if anything... once you learn it... the Sovereign is deeper than either the Explorer or the E-TRAC. HOWEVER... with the GT unless you really hone your skills, you will not be able to tell a bronze penny from a clad dime from a clad quarter from a silver dime from a silver quarter from a half dollar... sometimes silver might read one number higher on the 180 meter... if you have it set perfectly... then again a clad quarter might jump up there too. I may be wrong on the bronze penny, it's been a while since I used it to coin hunt.

I tend to dig plenty of square nails and flattened crown bottlecaps with the GT but that's ok. There usually aren't that many bottlecaps except in spots... but in those spots where someone drank a lot of beer over a long time and tossed the caps... forget it. Some detectors can tell the difference and some Sovereign users can tell the difference, especially in AM mode. Some people can tell a good target in AM by the difference nuances in tone, I usually hunt in disc though.

All-metal mode on the Sovereign is semi-disc AM mode. It has a cutoff point somewhere around where a nickel hits... at that point the AM tone switches from "low to high" to "high to low" as you swing over the target. The AM tone when you swing a target is sort of an "ooh-ahh-ooh" or "ahh-ooh-ahh" tone according to whether the target is a higher conductive target or a lower one.

As I said in an earlier post yesterday I buried a minnieball at 11". the GT is the only macine that could hit it and it hit it as a null in the threshold, which usually indicates iron but can also indicate a very deep target. If you are relic hunting you'd want to stop, wiggle, check in AM, and DIG those sort of targets especially if you wiggle in some tone in disc... it could be anything and probably old and good. FWIW, the E-TRAC would not make a peep. I tried it in auto+3, manual 24 sens, manual 30 sens, relic pattern, ferrous/2 tone, conductive/multi-tone, and with the IM open. I was using the 11" pro coil on the ET and the 10" Tornado on the SovereignGT. It would consistently null as I passed over it. I had to set the sens at about 1:00 and swing slow to keep a threshold and everytime I stopped on the hull and wiggled the coil the TID and tone would rise, it actually got up to 173 for a moment, once.. which is the proper TID number for a minnie.

If you will put in the time with the GT it will reward you. You should give David Keith at Dixie-metal-detectors.com a call. He loves to talk Sovereign and he has used one exclusively ever since it came out. He also had some NOS (New Old Stock) 8" coinsearch coils last time I checked. He also does some modifications. He was, I think a service guy when the GT first came out or something like that and he got some proprietary information on the Sovereign which he holds close to the vest in respect to giving his word to Minelab... to keep the info private... anyway, Minelab stopped whatever they were doing and not many know how to mod certain things and David wont tell you exactly what he does. I have no point of reference because the only Sovereign I have ever used is one I bought from him that I had him do his mods to...

You cannot... cannot go wrong with a Sovereign. Did I mention that it has the most solid audio ID on jewelry of any machine I have ever used. I had an opportunity to hunt around an old farmhouse while it was being renovated. I hunted a small area around the back door, about 6x6 ft. area. First I hunted it with an F75, Tejon, Explorer SE, and E-TRAC... I didn''t get a soild signal with any of them, nothing but really iffy junk signals, non-repeaters. I had the SovereignGT with me (it was the first detector I ever bought and I couldn't sell it).. so, I decided to try it. I immediately got a good solid stable signal around 80... it was a white gold circlet with diamonds all around it. Next signal was also solid and stable, it was a silver piece about 1/4" wide x 1" long x about 1/8" thick. Next I got three coin signals and dug two 1919 cents and one 1918 cent... all from this very small area. Using the Sovereign the signals were NOT iffy in any way.... It is a very good machine and I don't use it enough. I get excited about new technology and frankly, I love detectors as much as I love detecting but if I was only into it for the detecting... and I could only have one machine, the GT would be a STRONG contender to be the keeper. You do have to sweep it a bit slower. It completely blows away the T2 and the F75LTD. I think it is way better than any Explorer. I'd have to think about deciding between it and the E-TRAC. I think the GT is deeper with the stock coils but the E-TRAC seperates and unmasks in trash better. I don't know but what the GT may handle mineralization a little better.

Another option for you to consider is a Tejon with a 5.75 widescan coil... it is DEEP and FAST and LIGHT... and works around iron better than any detecotr i've ever used. It will ignore small iron and nails but signal on round or large iron in disc, even with it set at foil. In All metal VCO it will work in the most nasty mineralized ground and signal like the PI units do, then since it has dual disc modes, you can set disc2 a little above foil and check any targets if you get a peep... dig, especially in relics like any CW site. Pennies, dimes, and quarters all read the same, they all still signal with the disc wide open. The disc tone is adjustable, as is the AM tone but it is a single tone detector using whatever tone you set it on... but a lot of people find a lot of good stuff with the Tejon partly because it is a great machine and partly because you are not relying on different tones and partly because you are not relying on a TID number... so you will dig more but somehow you will dig a good ratio of good targets to trash. The Tejon will, on most trash, break up the tone after a few passes. I don't know how it does it, but it does. There are times when it is the the best machine to use... like I said like an old homesite with lots of small iron... it rules.
So, you could get a SovereignGT then watch for a good deal on a used Tejon (with the 5.75 DD coil.. you NEED that) Tesoro has a lifetime warranty that they have honored whether you are the original owner or not. Another good, under-rated detector is the White's MXT but that is all i'll say about other machines here.

I really only brought up the Tejon because it is a great complimet machine to the SovereignGT... with those two machines you can hunt anything, anywhere!

Julien

n/t

Critterhunter said:
Stick a "GT" sticker on one of your other machines and pretend...:biggrin:

Yes im gonna have an explorer 2 gt!!!!:ranting: