Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How I got my E-trac screen to be better seen

Tony N (Michigan)

I just now tested this:
I went to Preferences on the far upper right and then to Contrast.

On "Contrast" I lowered the numbers from 30 down to around 15 and the screen is much easier to see in the sun.
When my Contrast is all the way up to 30 it is very difficult to see anything properly on the screen.

I've been detecting all this time with Contrast set at 30! Ugh! More is not always better!

Yeah you are absolutely right.. it makes a person look like Chubby Checker the way you have to twist and turn to see the screen..

Thanks Tony, I'm going to try that. I have mine set to 29. I also use the optional display that shows the numbers much bigger and the ferrous/conductance grid much smaller.

sd51 said:
Thanks Tony, I'm going to try that. I have mine set to 29. I also use the optional display that shows the numbers much bigger and the ferrous/conductance grid much smaller.

Yea, I tried all that including the hood you put over the detector. Nothing helped like lowering the contrast. Very happy about the screen now.

For the few times I’ve had to say it, I always tell people....learn the menus and how to navigate them, and if you are going to adjust something, know WHY. “Contrast” would help about 90% of people who complain about the screen...many don’t know it exists.

IDXMonster said:
For the few times I’ve had to say it, I always tell people....learn the menus and how to navigate them, and if you are going to adjust something, know WHY. “Contrast” would help about 90% of people who complain about the screen...many don’t know it exists.

[size=large]When I first got my machine I went through the menus and adjusted the Contrast inside my home upwards to 30 since IN MY HOUSE I could see the screen better not knowing it would be hard to see outside in the sun.
So I went outside in the sun and adjusted the Contrast down to around 12 and problem solved! Oh happy day!
For quite a few outings I wondered why it was so hard to see the screen. I kept having to go in circles around a detected object to see the screen. No problem now.

It's too bad that the instructions don't come right out and say: "If you have a hard time seeing your screen in daylight, adjust your Contrast down."
[/size]

I always run my contrast on 15.----Running contrast 12 to 15 seems to be about as good as you can get in regards to seeing the Etrac screen at certain angles in bright sunlight.

D&P-OR said:
I always run my contrast on 15.----Running contrast 12 to 15 seems to be about as good as you can get in regards to seeing the Etrac screen at certain angles in bright sunlight.

I too have found this to be the case. They should let all new users know about this issue in their manual.

Now when I first seen this post I went in and checked mine and it was set to 17, I made the adjustment to 15. Now I see a 12 up there, should I go for 12?

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Now when I first seen this post I went in and checked mine and it was set to 17, I made the adjustment to 15. Now I see a 12 up there, should I go for 12?

Ron in WV

Whatever looks best to you outslde in daylight. With me it is between 12-15.

Got it, we are going on a hunt this coming Saturday so I will tinker with the contrast between 12 and 15.

Thanks Tony,

Ron in WV

Notice "Factory Preset" of Contrast is at 15?
For some awesomely stupid reason I had set mine to 30 when I got it.
I set it as I saw it IN MY HOUSE and in that condition 30 looked best.
I just never knew this higher setting would affect my ability to see the screen properly outdoors in the sun light or day light.

I have heard many detectorists complain about not being able to see the screen properly. Maybe they adjusted their Contrast like dumb little ole me did?
I'm just glad I figured the problem out.

Tony,

Just wanted to get back to you and say thanks for the tip.

We were hunting this past weekend and I set the contrast to 12 here at the house and kind forgot about that and just started hunting. Then it hit me I can see the screen.

Big Thanks, from Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Tony,

Just wanted to get back to you and say thanks for the tip.

We were hunting this past weekend and I set the contrast to 12 here at the house and kind forgot about that and just started hunting. Then it hit me I can see the screen.

Big Thanks, from Ron in WV

That's really great!
I hope you found some goodies!

Well Done on getting the word out to fellow ETrac users on adjusting the contrast down for better viewing of the screen in sunlight.