Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How long till you really started connecting w/ your V3

Aaron

Been using mine for 5 weeks and have 48 hrs on it. Im really starting understand its "language", but obviously have a long way to go. Im still looking for my first gold ring with it. How long did it take for you guys till you really started feeling comfortable with it?
Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron, the V3 could be a complicated machine, especially if you dont read the manual really good. I recently upgraded from a XLT and the first day I was frustrated. I am lucky to have a Whites dealer as a hunting buddy so he helped me a lot. the main problem I see people having is that they try to run the machine based on the sensitivity settings they know from other machines. This could be tricky because the V3 is one sensitive(hot) machine out of the box. That 10" coil is extremely sensitive and in my experience it works well only in low trash areas. I replaced the 10" coil the second time out (6x10) and lower the sensitivity( RX gain to 4) and I found over 100 coins the second day out(obviosly this was a nice spot). Now 3 weeks with the V3 and about 20 hours later, I can say I have started to understand its language but the key is reading that manual and watching the videos a couple of times! Lot of people trying to do better than they did with their old detectors without even reading the manual. I am just scratching the surface with this thing but I feel pretty comfortable reading it but only for coins!

I have a 950 concentric coil which I used few times but didnt notice to much difference in the trashy stuff. I also have a 7 x 5 Accelerator coil that seems to work really good in trash though, infact I'm gonna put it on tonight and try it tomorrow, I'm just always worried about depth. I think even that 5x7 coil probably still go's pretty deep though.

I have had mine since May and have found alot of relics and old coins with it. But I never felt confident with it till recently. Got a program and settings that work for me and where I hunt. Actually almost got rid of it 3 different times

How many hours you think you got?
Thanks

Probably 150 + hrs . My main site I hunt is close by so I go every time I get a chance. The V3 forums are a great source of good info.

I haven't had mine for very long. Minimal hours. The 5 or so hunts I've had with it has given me a good, rather than a bad or uncertain, outlook for the v. It is completely familiar, and at the same time, completely unfamiliar to a DFX user. I'm not sure how I would react to the v if I had never used an XLT/DFX. I do feel that I can hunt confidently with it knowing that my settings are verifiably appropriate and that I get a definite sense that the v is deeper, locks onto to targets faster and more reliably, and is, overall, in a class above the DFX. The myriad new perks like 3-freq, analyze, assignable tones, etc. are just very useful gravy. It looks like my favorite coil may be the 6x10. The 5.3, D2 and Super 12 are in the stable as well. I could have been swinging it more than I have but the spreadsheet was kind of an overdose on the v and I didn't mind letting it sit for a while and take a slower initial field approach :stars:

[size=medium]I read the manual several times and it is lacking.
[/size]

Information on the Spectra graph is poor!
If you can build a good detector, why can't they write a decent manual.
or .....is the company waiting for Jeff Foster to do the job?

larryk56 said:
[size=medium]I read the manual several times and it is lacking.
[/size]

Information on the Spectra graph is poor!
If you can build a good detector, why can't they write a decent manual.
or .....is the company waiting for Jeff Foster to do the job?

I totally agree with you on this one! They could've done a far better job on the manual. As I understand, Whites its working on another manual that will go in depth on all the features. I hope current owners of the V3 dont have to buy it!

Only 20 hours so far, but my Hunting season really don't start till after Xmas, then by March I will will have a easy 100 Plus + hours. In the only 20 Hours I did manage to find a small ear ring stud but it was only gold plated.

I'M strictly a Jewelry hunter and can say I love the Custom tone ID, I can now hunt the Trashy sidelines of the sports fields, without going insane. just listen to that one single tone and dig.

For the first week on the beach, no bottle cap was safe! By the second week, I was stiil digging little pieces of tin foil. But it's sure easy to distinguish a good target. But being 5'6", and 145lbs,I prefer the DFX on the beach. I'll save the V3 for the woods. The V3 is alot more sensitive. No gold yet, but a 925 ring, 2 junk rings, several fish hooks, stud earring, and a minute clasp to a chain. I prefer the no hum of the DFX though. It's going to take me awhile, but I'll keep at it.

mrowdy said:
I prefer the no hum of the DFX though. It's going to take me awhile, but I'll keep at it.
What do you mean by "the no hum of the DFX?"

You mean you can't adjust your V3 to mimic the hunting audio of your DFX? Or should I say lack-of-audio, since you use your DFX without a "hum?"

Are you referring to something other than just a basic Threshold audio hum? If so, why not set the V3 up the same way.

Monte

Hi Aaron...........Had mine about 12 weeks and now feel very confident with the beast.

It was a bit of an exercise finding your way through the menus to achieve what you wanted, but slow and steady did the job.

Simply rejecting -95 to -30 and accepting the rest, works well for hunting our relics and thin hammered coins,

I dig all positive signals in that acceptable range, that way I get to see the stuff the other metal rejectorists pass by.

There's plenty of good stuff which isn't deep, just masked by junk or not located with the right frequencies.

The 3 frequencies that Whites have chosen are a good compromise.

I love the Spectra graph. Learn to interpret that correctly and you are ahead of the rest.

The only way to do that is to dig more and learn more, hence the 'junk'in my photographed slummy tray.

[attachment 147205 formojo.jpg]

There are about 5 silvers in amongst the junk, and several coppers. All 'good' targets and at good depths pro-rata their sizes.

It's good policy to keep the 'better' stuff out of public view, for what 'they' don't see. their hearts never grieve

The weather here presently is lousey..rain.rain.rain. Looking forward to the next outing with the club......TheMarshall

Aaron.....If you have the old DFX's small Shooter, then put that on and go hunt your trash parks etc.

Come back and tell me how you got on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a killer................TheMarshall

It'll take me quite awhile to use this machine with no learning. Having said that, I do have several programs that there is just great use with. Deep, trash ladened,EMI and up to moderate ground...no issues busting through what is thrown at me. Still a lot to learn though. No substitute for experience and just can't say I'm there yet.

I thought I was doing okay after the 1st couple weeks of swinging the Vision, but now, I been out since before turkey day with flu - I'm all disconnected now from any detecting - Grrrrr:ranting:
I need to get out some day and figure where the deep silver has gone to.

Hi Marshall,
I have a 5x7 Accelerator coil, I found my gold ring with that. In fact I was just out today with it wind blowin 30 above goin through the trashy areas. Whats the difference between the coil Im using and the DFX one?
Thanks, Aaron

Hi there Tin....Here's a picture I took about 4 weeks ago of a club outing. Notice the sunny Nov. morning.

[attachment 147253 clubout.jpg]

Can't recall what was found, because we were all relatively well dispersed. Then best I could find

was a Parry mining token...late 1700's...good condition....Plenty of musket/pistol balls, buttons and bits of lead.

We had to walk about a mile to reach this field from where we were parked, an organisational cock-up I suspect.

Do you guys have any similar club outings?........TheMarshall.....Matt.