Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many of you guys do the specific ground balance procedure?

Is there a different way to that shown on p. 56 in the Instruction Manual?

Thinking about the 4500. Can you really discriminate? If so, is it with the ears that some can distinguish and some can't or by control knobs?-------PLEASE EXPLAIN....I had a TDI S/L and never could get the hang of trying to discriminate. I like the YouTube videos of the GPX finding 18" bullets and as tiresome as it would be, I would dig several holes. However, 18" holes with nails would get old quick-----very quick......Thanks for help in advance.........

I do and I also GB often. My feeling is you can't GB to much.

'Specific Ground Balance' is only required in areas of highly magnetic, iron-rich soils.

In all other circumstances normal Ground Balance should be employed.

I hunted around a site last weekend that had colonial, civil war, and modern trash. I still get fooled occasionally by a deep bent nail or flat piece of ration can but by far the worst is digging 22 bullets and shotgun shells. Sometimes a scoop of dirt off the top will let you know if it's iron or a deep good target but to me the sounds are very easy to figure out. The guy I was hunting with has an arsenal of detectors and was using an f75 ltd, which is what I used before the GPX and never another VLF again, he had me sweep a target and it blew my ears off, I said modern trash and it was deep piece of aluminum. I then had him sweep a strong signal and he couldn't hear it and it was a really deep and old shotgun shell. I found a seated half dime, two V nickels, and a colonial tombac button amongst all the trash and I never hunt coins but I could almost coin shoot with this thing. Sweep your targets, if they sound good then pump the coil over them as sometimes they'll break up indicating iron. Occasionally shallow bullets will break up a little but the sound of lead is a long sweet ringing noise that's hard to miss. Make a test garden with everything imaginable and you'll learn the sounds everything makes in no time. If every relic hunters knew what gpx hunters knew the VLF market would be hurting except for coins shooters.

soky72 said:
I hunted around a site last weekend that had colonial, civil war, and modern trash. I still get fooled occasionally by a deep bent nail or flat piece of ration can but by far the worst is digging 22 bullets and shotgun shells. Sometimes a scoop of dirt off the top will let you know if it's iron or a deep good target but to me the sounds are very easy to figure out. The guy I was hunting with has an arsenal of detectors and was using an f75 ltd, which is what I used before the GPX and never another VLF again, he had me sweep a target and it blew my ears off, I said modern trash and it was deep piece of aluminum. I then had him sweep a strong signal and he couldn't hear it and it was a really deep and old shotgun shell. I found a seated half dime, two V nickels, and a colonial tombac button amongst all the trash and I never hunt coins but I could almost coin shoot with this thing. Sweep your targets, if they sound good then pump the coil over them as sometimes they'll break up indicating iron. Occasionally shallow bullets will break up a little but the sound of lead is a long sweet ringing noise that's hard to miss. Make a test garden with everything imaginable and you'll learn the sounds everything makes in no time. If every relic hunters knew what gpx hunters knew the VLF market would be hurting except for coins shooters.
I hear you buddy. The GPX makes vlf machines seem like toys.

cookie58 said:
Thinking about the 4500. Can you really discriminate? If so, is it with the ears that some can distinguish and some can't or by control knobs?-------PLEASE EXPLAIN....I had a TDI S/L and never could get the hang of trying to discriminate. I like the YouTube videos of the GPX finding 18" bullets and as tiresome as it would be, I would dig several holes. However, 18" holes with nails would get old quick-----very quick......Thanks for help in advance.........
I've found that's the sound of a bullet is smooth unless it's shallow. Shallow is 6" & it'll blow your head phones off. A deep nail even tips it's hat at what it is but it's so close to a good signal I dig them. Last weekend I dug 14" bullets consistently. Some were deeper. The general timing & sens extra are really close. It seems like the sens extra handles bad ground better.