Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many would like to see ghost schools :bouncy:

LabradorBob

Staff member
If so give the State,county, and township if you know it!
also, please state either public or private.
if you do not state which, i will post it on the Forum.

Public is on the Forum,private will be an e-mail so i will need your e mail address.
This is so i can send pics to you.
Thanks,

LabradorBob

Yeah! out west theres areas all the local people referred to as the "school section" I believe it was a section of land appropriated for a school house.

30 years ago up in Grygla MN east of town @5miles, there was an old abandoned school on some farmers land...it was tin roofed and tin outside, plaster inside. He wanted it off his land, and me and a buddy wanted the tin, so a deal was struck, once we pulled the tin off the outside, low and behold it was built out of cedar with dovetail corners! We of course took it all and reconstructed it....so just the other day I zoomed in by satellite to that spot, from the air, you cant ever tell anything was there, but if I ever get up there with the detector, or if somebody lives close like McDave, it would make for a hunt. Even in that open field a fellow should start hitting nails pretty fast, and then settle in to work it good.
Mud

Those are fun to hunt and I usually don't find much but what I do find is old. :biggrin: Old plat maps will usually show where the old schools were and around my parts of the country, a school was every few miles along the rural roads, some are still standing.

We have many old one room school houses in North Central Pennsylvania still standing. I have a local map that shows where all of them were from about 1850-1950. Sometimes these were used for other meetings as well as school. They are a good place to find marbles and toys but most children didn't have any coins to lose; occasionally I've found one. Old churches on the other hand, especially if they had an outdoor picnic area are generally productive.

Beil's #1 Rule

#Number of People X # of Years Occupied = # of Lost Items

I've had success by following this rule. I particularly look for places of entertainment at ghost towns....picnic grounds, fairgrounds, taverns, church grounds, swimming holes, old ball fields, gambling spots etc.... money was tossed around a little more freely here.

Yes, and a lot of the old churches had Brush arbors outside.

This forum section is full of good ideas, thanks guys. :thumbup:

I've got one built in 1856 less than 300 yards from my front door :detecting:

Do you hear children laughing at night?

Diggin' 4 Silver said:
I've got one built in 1856 less than 300 yards from my front door :detecting:

Ha Ha no but I'm convinced we share the house we live in with a ghosts or 2. Used to be a parish manse (built in the late 1890s) for the church next door & they used the livingroom for viewings at funerals......

Lol Right after i moved into my old house, one night something woke me up, i thought i saw someone go by the bedroom door and heard the bathroom door move.
I got up and looked but there was no one there.

I wonder if you had an infrared photo of that location if it would show anything? Not the FLIR, but either digital or film infrared photographs.

mudpuppy said:
Yeah! out west theres areas all the local people referred to as the "school section" I believe it was a section of land appropriated for a school house.

30 years ago up in Grygla MN east of town @5miles, there was an old abandoned school on some farmers land...it was tin roofed and tin outside, plaster inside. He wanted it off his land, and me and a buddy wanted the tin, so a deal was struck, once we pulled the tin off the outside, low and behold it was built out of cedar with dovetail corners! We of course took it all and reconstructed it....so just the other day I zoomed in by satellite to that spot, from the air, you cant ever tell anything was there, but if I ever get up there with the detector, or if somebody lives close like McDave, it would make for a hunt. Even in that open field a fellow should start hitting nails pretty fast, and then settle in to work it good.
Mud

I've always heard that black children didn't have access to public schools like white children did. However, when I read the history of worth county, ga, there were 2-3 times as many schools for blacks as they were for whites. The schools were separate back then and a lot smaller schools closer to home. Mostly due to lack of buses and people had to walk to schools or ride a horse or mule if it could be spared from farm labor. Bob, if you can find any maps about school locations in worth county, ga and I don't remember the zip code, send me an email. 99% of these schools are gone, either torn down or burned down.
The same thing happened to most of the early court houses. If you need more information, let me know and I will try to find it for you. Thanks...

Bucks County PA private....thanks

Hi Everybody,

Loads of ghost schools show up on the historic maps and Platt maps. I use Historicmaps.com they show the schools right on them.

Mohave County, Arizona and Needles, Ca. (In San Bernadino County).

Private

Thanks!

Jim