Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to adjust to Tesoro from Minelab

cdsmith46

I have been a long and faithful Minelab Sovereign user since 1994. But the Sovereigns have fallen from grace with Minelab, so I am looking at Tesoro. I have owned Tesro's in the past, and respect them. But a friend inisists that Tesoros have to be swung fairly quickly to be effective, while low and slow was the rule with the Sov so that it could scan the ground and use its computer. So talk to me- do I really have to spped up my swing to use the Tesoro, or can i move it along at a moderate/medium speed and still get good results?
Elder46

Yes you can slow down. I also had Mine Labs. Just could not get the hang of it. Go very slow. That's OK, I am slow any way. Also too much music that I could not figure out. Just not my bag of tricks.. Also a little heavy for this old fart. I have used Tesoros for many years. Sold the M.L.s.. Got more Tesoros. I like the light weight. I like the BEEP. Never did like screens. You knew what your sov. was telling you. My tesoros
talk to me. You just learn the good beep from a bad beep. I also thumb the disc knob up and down to see where the target goes out and than back in. That tells me a lot also. Kind of like my own built in screen.
They are very easy to use and you can swing all day long. On most of them it only takes one 9 volt batt. Keep your sov. but get a Tesoro for back up .. You might really like it... KEN

I swing my Deleon slow most of the time. Especially if I have honed in on an area.

You will do fine .The Tesoro's are very forgiving you can swing as slow or as or rapidly as you choose .

Actually, the Tesoros are fast reset detectors, NOT fast sweep detectors per se. Sometimes this gets lost in the wash. Since they are 2 filter machines, a slower speed actually helps in target location due to the fact they have more time to filter the ground AND the signal. I actually experienced this with the Compadre underneath a swing set I had detected for over 20 years. With the discrimination at just iron flake level I got 4 soft repeatable signals that turned out to be nickels at about 4" that NONE of my previous detectors could locate. Increasing the sweep rate caused more of a "blip" signal.

I only have experience with the Vaquero and I usually hunt in AM mode by pressing the pinpoint button. My swing is faster in AM but once I have a target I release the PP button and I slow my swing down for discrimination mode. This method works for me and I cover more ground by being able to switch between AM and Discriminate quickly via PP button.
Slower is best in discrimination mode and when I slowed the swing up my finds went up. Low and Slow rule works with Tesoro too.

One of the many reasons I like Tesoro's is because you can swing them slow, I could never get used to swinging a detector fast.

Tesoro detectors work well with a fast or slow sweep speed. :detecting:

They really shine when you slow way down and focus on what they're telling you.

tabman

I've had numerous instances where I've heard a pop or crackle from my Vaquero then when I slowed down, and I mean really slow, that pop has become a good signal on a deep coin.

I'm not in a rush to cover ground. For example, before winter set in, I was working an old skating arena that is closed down. I've spent a month there and have pulled out close to 500 coins. One 3 hour hunt along a narrow stretch of grass in the front netted 93 coins. I pulled another 60 out the next 2 hours I was there. I plan to return in the spring and probably will spend another month there before moving to a new location.

There will be a gold ring on that property and I am going to find it!

Howdy and welcome back to the world of Tesoro! I am actually in the opposite boat -- I am a new user of a Minelab (705) but also a current user of a few Tesoros, which were my first machines. I have found that I must go quite a bit slower with the Minelab. However, like many have already said, just because the Tesoros (at least the Silver uMax and the Outlaw, which is also a uMax) were more forgiving of a fast swing speed doesn't mean that you shouldn't slow down under certain conditions. I found many things cruising at a good rate with my Tesoros, but I found even more when I slowed down a bit, especially in trashy areas. Not as slow as my Minelab, but certainly not as fast as Iver seen some folks swinging in Youtube videos.Some of those guys look like they're swatting flies...

I went from a SOV GT,& a Blisstool, and i originally owned a whites M-6 for me it was not a badd switch the thing i found is with the same size coils none are better at navigating trash than the others, BUT the tesoroes are lighter , and that makes a big difference to me , in my badd ground most detectors fail at the 7" mark using the disc , exempt the bliss tool that baby was deep in disc. but can only disc out nails for the most part tesoroes are addictive machines and with the simple disc knob and single tone are a lot of power for the money. I like to dig anything above nails so it does not bother me , I even like to dig Iron on occasion I know the outlaw can handle a ridiculous ly slow sweep or you can go faster but the signal is a bit more clipped.

I don't believe you are going to have a problem with operating a Tesoro detector.
As long as you have used the Sovereign, you are well versed in your term "slow and low" and I'm sure you reaped the rewards of appling that technique.
I too have a Sovereign, but only have about 3 years experience with it.. still in that short amount of time going slow and low as you say has impressed me about what this detector and others are capable of finding.
If I am searching for deep targets especially in trashy areas, I tend to slow down no matter whether I am using the Sovereign, X-Terra, Musketeer, or my Vaquero and have seen for myself that slowing down will yield the kind of results I am looking for.
The only problem you are going to have is deciding which Tesoro to buy.. I can't help you there so good luck in you decision.
I have uses several of them and the ones I tried are great.

At one point I was mostly swinging an Explorer-2 and that thing would wear me out. Then I got a Tesoro (Cibola was my first). It was so light, not front-end heavy, I swung faster not trying. Like going from heavy snow boots to slippers. Had to slow myself down and all worked out just fine. Was kind of a nice change going from flutey audio to something that sounded more real to me too. Don't need a Popeye arm to swing a Tesoro. I still like to take my breaks though, but from all the digging and less so from swinging.

From what I have been told- a minelabs audio sounds like R2D2 having an orgasm. Don't know for sure, that's just what I hear. The Tesoro audio will make you focus and concentrate. After awhile it is amazing what it will tell you.

I thank everybody for their replies. I had grown somewhat addicted to the Sovereign's multi-tone signals, and fear that I msy not be nearly as clear about the Tesoro. But I'll go after it like a monkey on an orange and see what happens...

Thanks for the shout-back; it is appreciated. Since you and I uderstand what Sovereigns really do, is there any real comparison bwteen the two? Are there really sounds availbale from the Tesoro's that can tell me anywhere near as much as the Soverigns? If not I will certainly get used to it, but I will wiss the multi-tone abilities of the Sov...

If your Soveriegn is anything like the Etrac in multi tone you'll probably miss all that information until you get used to the tesoro. Can't comment on my Tejon as I haven't used it much at all but with my GSII I can usually tell zincs from coppers and dimes sound real sweet and soft (silver or clad), and quarters depending on depth hit a little "harder". So basically with my experience you can tell more by the way they hit or how hard they hit and that gives you an idea of what you'll dig.... If you set your disc right where zincs start to break up they are really easy to distinguish but you'll loose out on the lower conductors......

The only comparisons on the Compadre are the length and width of the signal, softness or loudness, and if you're right at the threshhold of iron discrimination, the slight break up of sound-sorta like static-to help identify the iron content.