Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to set up CTX for a relic hunt?

I have a chance to hunt a backyard in Niagara On The Lake. Owners are going to be putting in an in-ground pool. The owners figure that their property have seen some serious activity in 1813 and would like a chance to preserve some artifacts before they are destroyed by a backhoe.
My only chance to squeeze in few hours on the site, before the ground is disturbed, is on late Friday afternoon.
I'm more of a coin shooter and don't have much experience with hunting for militaria and such so any advice will be appreciated.
At the moment, my plan is to:
Start in Ferrous Coin, combined, open screen, standard coil.
Go to Ground Coin and ground balance if I have to.
Go to sniper coil if target density is high - supposedly, kids were digging out musket balls by dozens without any metal detectors.

So; what's the best set-up on CTX for a site like that? What am I listening for? I mean; I may not have time to dig every signal so, what Fe-Co values should I concentrate on and what should I discriminate out?

Wide open big dog, and I like to hunt in ferrous coin combined mode set your tones to your likings fast off deep on!! Good luck oh I always use a wide open screen on pattern 1 and pattern 2 ill black out up to the 29 line and switch back and forth to check targets!! USE YOUR TARGET TRACE AND PINPOINT TRACE ITS ANOTHER TOOL IN THE TOOL BOX

Put your machine in RELIC mode. Set the audio to suit yourself. There is a little discrimination in relic mode screen 1 to go to wide open screen just push your detect button which will be screen 2. In the relic mode fast and deep recovery are on by default along with high trash. You can change whatever you like but since you said you have not done much relic hunting I would suggest trying the factory settings first. Go slow and good luck. HH :minelab:

hershey1 said:
Put your machine in RELIC mode. Set the audio to suit yourself. There is a little discrimination in relic mode screen 1 to go to wide open screen just push your detect button which will be screen 2. In the relic mode fast and deep recovery are on by default along with high trash. You can change whatever you like but since you said you have not done much relic hunting I would suggest trying the factory settings first. Go slow and good luck. HH :minelab:

You mean to start with the obvious? It's a good thought even that I'm kind of looking for a shortcut that would let me search in a mode I'm more familiar with. I'm pretty confident that I can nail old brass and led. I don't count much on silver but on a 200 years old site, never know... The factory Relic setting seems to give more recognition to iron... if it is a battlefield or s skirmish site or maybe a military camp, with limited time, should I be looking for any iron or concentrate on a bit higher conductors like brass / bronze? I will not have enough time to cover the ground so, I'll have to make some sacrifices... Maybe I should have few preset modes, pick a few yards line, go over in one mode and repeat the same line with others. It would cost me half an hour but, maybe it would be a half an hour that would pay back? Yeah, I'm just throwing some thoughts out there...