Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to straighten image for use in overlay of Google Earth

GregD475

Need advice on how to straighten and flatten image to use as an overlay on Google Earth. I have tried tilting Google Earth but it also tilts the original image. I am trying to make it look like an aerial shot from directly overhead. I have tried rotating it in Photoshop 7 but cannot get shoreline and all roads to match up. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance. This is also posted in the photography forum.

Not sure it is possible,usually needs to be an un tilted photo.

LabradorBob

GregD475, I would tilt the Google Earth view doing the best I could to match the direction and the angle of the old image and then take a screeshot of it. Just hold a printed copy of the old image up by the screen to eye it in. Then take the screenshot and the old image into a photo editing program to combine and align them on layers. Then you could adjust the transparency of the old image on the top layer in the photo program. Hope this makes sense.
AL

Just scan your map and store the file on your computer.
Open GoogleEarth.
You can also set the "preference" so that GoogleEarth WILL NOT TILT when zooming in.
Go to "Image Overlay" icon and browse for your file.
When your image is placed onto GoogleEarth you will see GREEN "handles" on the overlayed image.

You can use these handles to move and stretch the image (called rubber sheeting) to fit the GoogleEarth map.
Keep in mind that the old maps were hand drawn and was more of a reference locator than the very exacting maps of today.
But you will be very surprised at how accurate those old maps are.
The videos that the mod has listed in this forum will show you how to do this.

Sorry!
I re-read your post abd it was your IMAGE that is tilted!
But I think you can still overlay the image, as if it were a flat image, and then ever so slowly tilt GoogleEarth until it matches.
Add your "push pins" to reference your "hot spots".
Turn the image layer off and see what you got.