Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How waterproof is the CTX 3030?

Robve66

Hello to all,

I have a question about the CTX 3030.
I just bought a brand new one after a try out period of 2 months with a second hand one and I like the machine very much.

I would like to know how waterproof it is.
This is the situation:
I tend to use it at the beach up to around 1 meter of depth into the water.
I also tend to use it without the waterproof headphones, but still with the wireless unit and my earplugs.
So in general i will not put the CTX under water completely.
But will it suffer by accidentally getting under water completely without the waterproof headphones being connected?

Hope to hear from you .

Kind regards,
Rob

the waterproof headphone connector is waterproof, so it won;t hurt the detector. You should put the black plug into there to keep sand and debris out though. The WM-10 is not waterproof or even resistant, so if it gets wet, it's probably toast.

I've owned two, used then new, and dunked them both for hours completely submerged and have yet to have a problem. I use it in freshwater, except for one time in salt spray, and always had waterproof gray ghost headphones attached. While its under warranty dunk it often!

I have had my 3030 since they first came out - never had a problem - been 100% underwater many times.
like has been suggested by others -
remove the 1/4" headphone adapter and get the plastic cap from inside and screw on the 5 pin headphone jack.
make sure the USB cover is straight and tight.
make sure the battery o ring is clean.
this makes it safe to thoroughly hose it off after a hunt too.
keep the shaft latch free of sand - it will wear after a few years

bill

Sounds good...
So it can go completely under water without the waterproof headphones connected to it?
As long as remove the 1/4" headphone adapter and you screw the plastic cap on to the headphones connector......
Awesome.....

What everyone said is true....however if I remember correctly, you will lose transmission from the unit to the WM10 at some point with the display underwater???

Yeah, just checked the manual.....The WM 10 will not function if the control panel is fully submerged

Cliff

i do not intend to put the display under water...
but wonder if it will continue to work right after it has been under water for a few seconds just it case it happens to go down under for a few secs.....

i'll take my chances and see what happens when it accidentally happens.... :)

I would not get the remote transmitter (removable unit above battery) wet. Maybe a few rain drops sure but not dropped in the water or heavily splashed. I do not believe that part is waterproof and Minelab may not cover any problems under warranty.
Waterproof headphones are cheap compared to down time or a possible repair bill and you'll expand your search depth without concerns for dunking or problems.

you need to be careful if return a water loged machine and they see the sand has got into the o rings or you have change the o rings or you have damaged the o rings you face a big problem with the warranty,, changing batteries on the beach is the big problem do all the work before you leave home so they are clean ,,and the 2016 machine with the up grades should be fine the battery clamp should snap in to place as your one should they are a grey color o'ring not orange ,,you may need to get the small one for the usb port ,,, see youtube there are vids on this , treat your machian with care and it will last ,, also before the warrant runs sell and get a new one if you are good with your machine it should of paid for it self many times good luck ;-))

I have used mine in salt and fresh. I went to a sporting goods store and got a clear, darn near waterproof plastic container (No Limits bag) that I put the WM10 in and use the wireless with ear buds. This No limits bag has two seals. Inner seal is a ziplock bag seal, then that is folded over and another ziplock is pressed closed and folded over and there are three snaps to keep it folded. The ear bud cables are so small I can fold it so it is virtually waterproof. I held it underwater in my pool to see if any air came out and after about 5 minutes no air! And no water got in. I think the package is about $7. Got mine at Academy Sports. In fact I keep the WM10 in it all the time, land or water. I fold the longer ear bud cable around it however many times needed to leave the correct slack for movement and I have never had any issues.

Jason in Enid said:
the waterproof headphone connector is waterproof, so it won;t hurt the detector. You should put the black plug into there to keep sand and debris out though. The WM-10 is not waterproof or even resistant, so if it gets wet, it's probably toast.

Agreed!

If you are in the market for a CTX 3030 be sure to get the 2016 version Minelab CTX 3030. The old ones if you made sure maintained the o-ring and made sure it was clean you were good. The new ones are more dummy proof. My original one has been under many many times and still good. AWESOME detectors!

What a great idea! I know I accidentally pulled mine off of my belt the other day at the beach and got sand on it. Not too good, I don't think!, so using that no limit bag sounds like a great idea. I'm wondering if maybe I could swing it with using the regular phones some way, where at least I could give it some protection if it fell in the sand or maybe even in the water for just a second. If not, I'll probably just get some ear buds too, because of the thinner wires. Great idea, thanks!

I find silicone sealer is required on the "o" rings on my Excalibur should silicone also be used on the gasket and other cable connectors on the CTX 3030?

Jim Koski said:
I find silicone sealer is required on the "o" rings on my Excalibur should silicone also be used on the gasket and other cable connectors on the CTX 3030?

No. there are some applications of O-rings that need silicone but nothing on the CTX meets that need. I know some people use it, but its not needed and it can make things worse. lubing an o-ring is only for the type, such as the battery tubes on an excal. IS a captured o-ring that must slide into a housing. The lube is only so that it stays in its channel during install, so that it doesnt try to get pulled out, rolled, twisted. etc.

All the seals on the CTX are flat compression seals (although they are not effective enough). Putting lube on these seals does nothing to improve its seal and it will cause sand, dirt, hair, etc stick to it and makes it harder to clean thoroughly during battery replacement.

If I could make Minelab change there design, the battery would have a wide, flat base instead of the blade style. The o-ring would also be a standard o-ring (but thicker) and not some weird-shaped thing. Lastly, the compression latches would be stainless instead of plastic. There should be a solid, stiff feel when you seat the latches on compression o-ring. The CTX latches often feel like zero compression... at least on the old model units I have used. I haven't had the new improved system in my hands.

MINELAB says not to so I don't.
Just check your seal for nicks I change mine yearly anyways.
Make sure no dirt is in the grooves I also check the seal for the port in back.
Also if you hunt SALT I would pull the connector for the coil and clean it once in awhile too.

I just bought the CTX 3030, yet according to what I have read in the CTX 3030 Handbook by Andy Sabisch, the CTX is waterproof up to 10 feet. Also, there are some instructional videos on the CTX on the Minelab website. I found one that has to do on how to make your CTX ready for the water. Hope this helps.

For those looking to improve on the water proof-ness, the correct o-ring for the battery is a 2.5mmx78mm. I know there are those elsewhere saying 79 or 80mm, but I got 77, 78, and 79 and the 78 is the best fit (though the others will work). 79 is a bit too long, and the 77 was a bit tight and needed to stretch to fit in the groove.

Regarding silicone grease, a very light coat once in a while (whenever you clean the o-ring) helps to keep the o-ring from drying out.

I put Tampons in my recharging battery pack in the event of water entry - unfortunately, the 7-11 didn't carry super-absorbent Tampons (take apart and use absorbent material). The Cashier did look at me kind of funny when I bought them. Also, good advice to use the back-up/ 2x battery pack in the water in stead of the recharging battery pack.