Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HS20EXR died

nge

Sorry about not posting any pics for like forever. My Fujifilm Finepix HS20EXR almost blew up on me. Sure glad I didn't sell my old Fujifilm S2000HD. Every time I went to use my HS 20 EXR my batteries were dead, couldn't figure out why (Planned obsolesence) only had it about 5 years. One day I happened to open my camera bag and my camera was on.....YIKES! I knew it was off when I put it in the bag I thought (haunted?) So I removed the batteries and put some fresh in it, turned it on, took a couple pics, shut it off and set it on my desk and watched it. Sure enough, after 10 minutes it came back on. And pushing the off button did nothing. I took one of my computer compressed air cans , took batteries out, took memory card out, and blew air into every orifice I could see. Then I reinstalled everything and it worked fine.......till I tried to shut it off. It would not shut off unless I opened the battery door and closed it again. So I figured that's what I would do every time I went out to take pics. It was a nice fall day and I went out to the local park to take some fall color pics, when I closed the battery door, my camera came on and the right half of the screen on the back was blank (black). So I opened the battery door and closed it again, everything was okay and back to normal. I took two pics and then it happened! I heard a small pop and smoke came out of every hole in the camera, I quickly set it on the ground and hid on the other side of my truck ( I thought it was gonna blow up). When it didn't, I removed the batteries and card, went home, got my .38 out and was gonna take it out back and shoot it......lol. Changed my mind, I would get arrested for discharging a firearm in the city. So I put it on my desk and proceeded to remove every screw I could see. When I got the back off I saw a charred black streak from one corner of the circuit board to the other side. And the board was almost burnt all the way through. On the left side of the guts, there is a capacitor about the size of a "AA" Battery. I am assuming this was to take and hold a charge for the built in flash. One of the wires was fried and melted, I think it was the "positive" one, that went straight to the board where the char line started. I am looking at buying a Sony Cyber shot DSC HX 300 or 400 v. What are your thoughts on the Sony? NGE

Wow, quite a story. :) I have never had anything like that happen with any electronics I have had.

Heck, my S 2000 HD is 15 years old and still working good.

There are known cases of defective after market batteries that have caused fires, and this is one of the reasons that some camera manufacturers will not honor a guarantee when after market batteries are used to power their cameras.

I do not know anything about the Sony models that you mentioned, but I have heard that Canon have offered a great price on some of their CX 50is bridge cameras that were repaired under warranty, in the price range of $150 to $200 dollars with a 90 day guarantee. This appears to be a very popular camera.

Great hearing from you again! Kelley (Texas) :)

What an ordeal. I hope you let the company know about it since it could have caused a fire. I'm sure they would like to hear your story also. Boy, what a shame about your Fuji. My Fuji bridge camera sure is a fun camera to have. They don't make things like they use to anymore. As for the Sony, they've made some good cameras in the past.

Sorry to hear about your HS20EXR nightmare.
We're using 3 fujifilm cameras here as they are:
Finepix S5000
Finepix S5600
Finepix HS25EXR
They all still work as they should. And are using AA sized penlight batteries (NiMh rechargeables).
Cann't say a word about the Sony or Canon. Yes, they are manufacturing some good cams for sure.
The technical characteristics for the DSC HX .... sound very interesting.

Kelley, I am very sorry I didn't buy the extended warranty when I bought the camera. It was way out of warranty. After I took everything apart, I only saved the lens cap and the lens hood, memory card and batteries, oh and the only glass lens on the whole camera (the main outside one) the rest were all plastic. I would buy another if I could find one. I saw the Sony at B&H cameras online for 288.00 everyone else is 484.00. There is no hot shoe and a couple other minor things. Has 1200mm zoom (stabilized) and very good low light capabilities. And it is a bit slower between pics. Has better video than my Fuji had. The microphone is on top where there is no pop up flash. And the batteries get charged in camera. Don't know if I could live with that one. here is the preview...http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx300. NGE

I just prefer to charge the batteries outside the camera. There are lots of good cameras in the market place, best to choose the one that you decide best serves your purpose. I am confident that you will make the right choice. Kelley (Texas) :)

I had a metal detector that would turn its self on.
I would put it in my car and when I would take it out,, it would be on,, so I thought that I hit the on button while loading it...
Well, one night, after 2 am, it came on, I had it leaning against the wall in the bed room,, it went into a over load and woke me up...
I sent it in for repair...

Hope you get your camera fixed..
Bj

Forgot to mention, it does have a viewfinder:smoke:

I don't make a habit of keeping things that don't work (broken) around here. Like I said above, I only kept the lens cover, memory card and batteries, and the main outside lens ( the rest were plastic and very small) I can use the old "glass" lens for magnifying things. The rest went into the trash. I never thought about telling Fuji of my problems. I was quoted by a local camera repair shop a minimum of $250.00 for repairs, I cannot afford that for a camera that I paid $500.00 for that now costs around $239.00. The only problem is, is that now I can't find those deals anymore. nge

Right you are, Kelley. To me a viewfinder is a must have, too. my vid-cam doesn't have one and it's a mess in bright light environment.

But the 300 does have a pop up flash, nge, doesn't it?
You can get the 400 for more less at amazon.

Here we have a online board where you can buy used stuff. You can set filters in there for locations, prices, manufacturers, used or new e.t.c.
Using this very often to sell or buy stuff here.
May be there is something like that in the U.S., too.

Wishing all the best.

Hi nge,
Before settling with the sony check out panasonics fz200 model.This only offers 25-600 mm of zoom but has a constant aperture of 2.8 through the whole range.This gives the obvious advantage of much better low light performance and also sharper pictures in better light conditions due to the very fast shutter speeds the large aperture gives.
It is always tempting to go for models with massive telephoto lenses,but in reality they very rarely give sharp results.The panasonic lens is a leica and coupled with its fast aperture gives brilliant results.I've owned one of these cameras for a long while and it has taught me that to get great shots such as wildlife you need to get physically closer to your subject rarther than rely on large telephoto lenses that are far from perfect.
The panny also has a good quality viewfinder and excellent video too and the intelligent auto feature works brilliantly......you even have a certain amount of manual control over this function if you want it such as aperture control.
I'm a big fan of do it all bridge cameras,especially if they give quality results and although this model has been around for a while I still think it's the best bridge camera out there with a decent zoom range.

After reading about your problems with the HS20,i have decided to upgrade my HS10 to a Nikon D3300 just using the standard lens at the moment,then after a while will add slightly better lens in the 300mm size,had looked at another Fuji but have read that Nikon are a general all round better camera,the next step up the ladder you might say.

Its snowed last night so may try and get out with my trusty old backup Samsung,not got all the bells and whistles but its still very reliable and can produce some decent shots,all i am looking for is a reliable and easy to use camera the same as yourself but without ultra high costs as well.

The allure of sitting by the log fire while the snow is on the ground can be very appealing,but saying that one can also miss the possibility of some stunning images as well if one is not taking advantage of the snow.