Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Humor me, Why do I need to hear Threshold?

bud212002

OK, I have turned the Threshold down on C&J because that is what I use the most. If I have disc. out everything below +10 why do I need to listen to that constant noise of the threshold. I am new, and maybe missing a key point of Threshold in the first place?:shrug:

bud212002 said:
OK, I have turned the Threshold down on C&J because that is what I use the most. If I have disc. out everything below +10 why do I need to listen to that constant noise of the threshold. I am new, and maybe missing a key point of Threshold in the first place?:shrug:

The threshold tells you alot about how your detector is running. Also will go quite when you go by discriminated out items. Set just audible it will tell you alot and help get more depth.
Next If you have discriminated every thing below +10 out you are likely leaving any good thin gold band you know the ones that hold those big sparkly stones in them in the ground as
you walk by. I have found them that and chains that go down to +2 +3 area. Would not run that way at the beach. I set mine up to accept to -30 through +94 at the beach.

Good luck on your beach trip

Jason

I like a threshold tone because it lets me know when I pass my coil over a very deep target or one just outside the edge of the coil's search area.

Hi Buddy,

+10 cutoff will also blank out finds like Bob found. (gold ring) You would be much smarter to not discriminate out +09 on down, but to change the audio on those VDI's to a very low audible tone so you will be able to hear the good targets near iron and other discriminated out VDI's, To cut down on excessive noise, you still might want to discriminate -40 to -95. You might also want to program +9 to -10 with a tone different than the -11 to -95 as a "warning tone" to bring your attention that there might be something there for you to check out better. (small gold and platinum)

As previously answered, a threshold should be 'just audible" for maximum depth of detection and a better understanding of the ground you are detecting IMHO.

Hi there Bud!

There are a few reasons why a threshold can be of some use.

(A) It helps to stop you falling asleep, if finds are few.

(B) It reminds you that your detector is still working!

(C) Relic hunting and reconnoitering, the nulling on 'rejected' items is an 'inverse' sign of probable past activity.

As regards helping one to be aware of very deep targets.....well that depends on the type of detector, and the mode you're searching in.

Some folk can't abide the constant sound scenario, and that an acceptable reason for no threshold. I prefer no threshold.

Why?.....Well, a distinct break in the silence due to an accepted target, is more acceptable to me, compared to a slight rise over a in-constant hum.

It's all a matter of personal preferences, rather than what's right or wrong.

As Sinatra said, " I did it my way".

Try running a threshold for a session, and come back and tell us what you you found as a concequence............TheMarshall

I've always felt the same way and I've been detecting over 40 years. It bugs me and I usually turn it off. All the folks that answered you had good and logical reasons for using it and they're right, but most of the time, I don't want to understand the ground, or to hear where the iron is, etc....I just want to search in silence and dig when I hear a response! :)

I would say there are mighty good reasons for each viewpoint. Just another nice feature to enjoy...on or off. :shrug: Choices are a good thing. :detecting:

Hi Bud, I guess a lot of the threshold thinking comes from the early days of detecting when we had to run the old BFO and TR machines.
Back then we needed the threshold background to refer to because for example the BFO had to have a sort of motor boat tone basic background hum.
These older machines relied on this constant threshold for a reference point, the TR's were constantly effected by the distance between the coil and the ground, too close to the ground, and the threshold boomed, ( small targets were lost in the roaring threshold ) too high up off the ground and the detector nulled ( went silent ) this made the detector deaf, except for hearing really big objects.

Really deep/small targets can't create a loud sharp beep, but can make the threshold raise in pitch every time the coil is passed over the target; detecting with no threshold is kinda like someone putting cotton wool in their ears then not being able to hear a soft whisper! ___ I like to have a threshold personally.

The null I get when passing the coil over the ground tells me when I'm in a junky zone, this information would suggest to me that I ought to maybe come back to that area with a small coil to try and maybe pick out some keepers amongst the trash.
For me in this situation having my threshold null out has given me much information, a person detecting the same zone in silence ( no threshold ) won't know where this junk is.

Imagine sometime we might be looking for where an old colonial house once stood, we would then want to look for signs of a building once being there, like lots of rusted square head nails.
Detecting with maybe foil up accepted, with a background hum we will experience a lot of nulling when we reach a nail infested zone, so this is likely to be where a building was once...

Threshold for me ( mostly.) :detecting:

I just wanted to make sure I was not missing a bunch of stuff because of it. I will keep my peace and quiet thanks. I get enough "noise" at home! I hope my wife donesn't see this!:stretcher:

I will try it next time, to see if I can understand more of what the detector is telling me.

Users choice, but a threshold tone lets you know when your over an area of a former structure, such as a old house, by the nulling of old square nails. This nulling lets you know that you should slow down your sweep speed, lower the sensitivity some, and maybe use a smaller coil for optimal results at such sites.

Some detectors have fake thresholds and are just a dummy hum that does not indicate anything. On machines like that your right, why bother. But other machines have true thresholds and you can hear tiny faint variations which may indicate a target at the edge of detection. Not having a running threshold here or turning it below the pick up point may leave the target audibly undetected.
On dummy ones you never hear changes in its sound regardless of the ground you go over and its just a flat line hum, true ones will give variations in sound as the machine goes over ground variations and faint targets.