Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting for a long lost wedding band?

parkgt

I have been asked by a friend to look for a long lost wedding band that belonged to his grandmother. It was lost around their farm home that is now torn down 50+ years later. I know the odd of finding it are extremely slim but would like to give it the best shot I can.

The choices of equipment include the CTX with 11

To help in setting up any machine is to know what metal and the size of the ring. It seems you made mention of a thin gold ring? I have hunted a lot of rings with my etrac and to increase my odds I would set it up this way. Use the 5 block and only open up the 12 line from 12/1 through 12/30 for a small thin gold ring. I would really expect it to hit from about 10-12/4 to 10-12/14.

Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. I guess you are suggesting the CTX over the 705. When you mention "5 block on the 12 line" does that mean five lines centered on the 12 from 1 to 30? In other words lines 10,11,12,13,14 ?

Your videos were inspiring.

Thanks

If you have anything close to the size and shape of the lost ring, run it under your coil a few times, then open a pattern, plus a cushion either side, that will accept that. Sounds to me like 9 thru 13 and across to about 35 opened up will cover almost any gold ring, regardless of size. But, IF you have a similar one then I would use that small pattern.

Yes. But the 705 can find it too. I would set the 705 to accept 2 through 30. But I would guess the small gold ring will come in between 2 and 14. I wouldn't be afraid of using either machine. I would however try the larger coil to cover more ground. Especially away from the home site. Then only switching to the smaller coil in the largest trash areas.

jas,

There is no info available on the specifics of the ring, all the principals have passed away.
Being rural people of modest means I am reasonable sure this will be a band on the smaller end of the spectrum.

I am thinking that even 30 is prorbaly higher than needed.

Thanks for reply

If you don't know then it could have been a silver ring? Then you'll have to open up your machine more. Besides if you hunt this way you may find some silver coins too?

That is an interesting thought Kenny; I may try running a little more open than a small gold ring would suggest.

Conventional thought is that these hardscrabble farmers didn't go around the farm with much silver in their pockets unless they planned in advance to go to town. That was not an every day occurance back in 30 and 40s.

You never know? On one search of a house built in 1905 I pulled 3 -1943 Walking Halves from a small yard. Funny they were all the same year though.

Similar ring will never get you close. It is the content of the remaining .415 that is not an exact formula, hence making gold a very wide spectrum. I would dig everything on the 12 line to make sure. I know that is hard to do. In fact , I know where a gold ring was lost some 30 yrs ago, and have never spent more than a few minutes die to lots of trash.good luck finding it!