Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I’d like to see some more chatter thru the winter

Ben Town

I need more reading material this winter.
I’m just getting thru the first week after mid foot bone fusion on my left foot. Only eight more weeks non weight bearing than some therapy .
So I’m just sitting around.
I was not able to do much this last year as it just didn’t work out , time wise and physically .
Was able to get to the relic field once after harvest and was rewarded with some lead balls , a nice silver babble and the usual copper trash.
Guess I didnt get it all last year after 500 plus digs.
It’s a good long walk to get there and after hunting a couple hours didn’t think I’d get back to my truck (<;
I’ve got some other old homes to visit when things get better .
We have a Florida trip planed for April if all goes as planed, so there will be some beach hunting again.
I’ve got to say that beach hunting is alright but give me a field or front yard .
Last spring on the beach did find one nice ring and a bunch of clad but swinging the 17” coil and finding and digging corroded penny’s over a foot deep driove me nuts.
Couldn’t not dig them for fear of not recovering a nice ring .
I’ve got the batteries charged and will probably replace my screen protector and I’ll be ready if the machine still powers up this spring.
Hope you all have a Happy Holiday
Ben Town

Good luck buddy. 103 views and not ONE response besides this one. People are past the CTX and on to the latest and greatest whatever it is gizmo. Attention spans are short and getting shorter. Nobody wants to post but everyone wants to read! I’m hoping you can change that....and from a few people I’ve messaged with,it’s going to be a slingshot effect when more people realize they already had the Mac Daddy of machines and come back to this thing.

I assure you, gentlemen, I am certainly NOT past the CTX! This Memorial Day will mark my 7-year CTX-aversary. This thing has outlasted 2 wives, and brought me waaaay more enjoyment than the two of them!

Get well soon, Ben. Foot fusions sound painful.

IDX , you’ve said it all.
It’s winter time here in the Midwest , most of us just stay in from the cold so why not post here with what you’ve discovered about the CTX or what eludes you in its operation.
This is a proven machine that’s here to stay .
Ben

IDXMonster said:
...... People are past the CTX and on to the latest and greatest whatever it is gizmo. Attention spans are short and getting shorter. ......

It has nothing to do with attention spans, but yes a lot of member sold their CTXs to grab a Nox.

NEVER HEARD A DETECTOR EXPERIENCE described like yours LOL But sure am glad your happy..:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jason in Enid said:
...... People are past the CTX and on to the latest and greatest whatever it is gizmo. Attention spans are short and getting shorter. ......

It has nothing to do with attention spans, but yes a lot of member sold their CTXs to grab a Nox.

Actually it does for some...when I read that people really “never got a handle” or “didn’t make it through the menus” that is an “attention span” thing. The people using the EQ now for weight reduction or because they feel it hits lower conductors BETTER and mid to high conductors EQUALLY...that’s different.

Elton said:
NEVER HEARD A DETECTOR EXPERIENCE described like yours LOL But sure am glad your happy..:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ironman has had a couple of blips, but I can vouch for him. He is a die hard CTX user. He's teaching me the tricks of the CTX. I told him when we first started diggin together a couple of months ago that the old guy(me) would take the young guy (him) out and teach him how to dig. With the CTX the old guy (me) has to be taken out by the young guy (him) and teach me how this machine works. I've been doing this since 1975 and have used several machines, but this has to be the best one I've ever had the pleasure to use. It was a little tricky at first , but WOW this machine can hunt.

I'm haven't been a coin hunter for over 30 years. Just a relic hunter. He wore me down enough to get me to try some coin hunting. First time out 3 weeks ago13 silver dimes in one hole. Since then a 1868 5 cent piece a no date Indian head penny. 3 post war tokens and last Sunday we hit a early yank site and I came out with some dropped bullets and a 1853 half dime. I've dug more coins in 3 weeks than I have in the last 30 years. It sure seems to like silver. Ironman told it was a silver machine. He ain't lyin!

Ben good luck on your recovery

moreb said:
First time out 3 weeks ago13 silver dimes in one hole.

That was quite an experience to see. I shut my machine off and watched him for about 30 minutes. Very incredible, and they were mixed in with iron and various other trash. It's a heck of a machine.

Jason in Enid said:

There is a movement here, I have always embraced the newest technology. I still have my ctx for now because like ironman I have years of experience and data invested in this platform. Randy aka Digger took me under his wing early on and we discussed theory and detecting experiences so it will always have a special place.

Speaking of "place" I am from north Missouri, what part of central Missouri are you all from. The frost was only 1 inch deep in the bean fields Sunday and almost 50 degrees that equals a great hunt.
Jeff

:Ben Town, I've tested a lot of rings on the CTX and very few fall with zinc pennies. Just ignore or notch. Now I have a question. Do yall have a coil size preference for the CTX in the really trashy areas(or maybe you just do the sane thing and avoid them) I use both the 6 and the 11 but struggle with the old question of separation vs depth. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

laplander said:
Speaking of "place" I am from north Missouri, what part of central Missouri are you all from. The frost was only 1 inch deep in the bean fields Sunday and almost 50 degrees that equals a great hunt.
Jeff

If you aimed a dart at a map of Missouri and hit dead-center, you would probably hit my home town. Plenty of Price Expedition sites in my area. They are finally cutting the beans in our area too, seems late this year.

LTimedigger said:
Do yall have a coil size preference for the CTX in the really trashy areas(or maybe you just do the sane thing and avoid them) I use both the 6 and the 11 but struggle with the old question of separation vs depth. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I hunt almost exclusively with the 17" coil, even in moderate trash. I have for the past 2 years. If the Iron trash is too much or the dirt is bad, I will use the 11" coil. On sites where even the 11" coil struggles to identify and separate, I switch to my E-Trac and a 7.5"x3.5" search coil. I had the 6" CTX coil once upon a time, but I was not a fan of it. I sold it, and never looked back. But seriously, the 17" with target trace can handle most situations. I had my 11-silver day in a public park earlier this year with the 17" coil.

I know the “comparison thing” can be a touchy subject but next spring I’m considering doing some shallow water hunting at local swimming areas,maybe shallower sections of rivers,etc. The question I have and I know it’s probably been covered elsewhere but I’m lazy like that...is about coils and how they float,or don’t float...basically,which between the CTX or EQ “handles the best” in static or slow moving water? I’m expecting to not have any water intrusion issues as both are rated easily for what I’ll be doing but I don’t want to swing an anchor and I don’t want to have to add ballast! I’ll be looking for silver coins AND gold,but mostly silver coins at these areas that will hold them(I hope). Which is the most pleasant to use in this scenario from your experience?

The 17 is my go to coil also , the 11 is ok and the 6 is like there is nothing on the end of the shaft.
In very trashy areas the 6 will find coins but depth suffers.
The 17 is not too bad to swing as long as you can dig every now and then , pin pointing with the wiggle back method is close and gets more precise as the coill gets smaller.
I’ve had my CTX a little over 3 years , went to a boot camp and did a lot of reading . I have a handle on it for my area as the soil is not bad. I’m sure if I went to an area with bad soil I would be learning all over again to get it setup and figured out.
That’s why I’m just staying with the CTX , don’t want to learn a new machine again.
I envy you guys that hunt together , I’d love to find another CTX guy around to hunt with and share tips and tricks.
I’m pretty much self taught and still occasionally find a useful tip in all these forums
So keep sharing I’m reading
Ben

ironman200081 said:
Jeff

If you aimed a dart at a map of Missouri and hit dead-center, you would probably hit my home town. Plenty of Price Expedition sites in my area. They are finally cutting the beans in our area too, seems late this year.

Us farmers are suffering excess moisture this fall/winter if it isnt the ground its the beans. Just cut mine Sunday.
Jeff

IDXMonster said:
Which is the most pleasant to use in this scenario from your experience?

I hunt in freshwater streams and lakes. I have used both the 11" and the 17", and I am primarily searching for Civil War relics. Both are "sinkers" and not "floaters." The 11" is by far the easiest to swing because its size causes less water drag. The 17" is just as handy in the water as it is on land (bigger sweep area) but it sure drags a lot when you swing it. For that reason, I prefer to use the 11" coil and I put cut garden hose "bumpers" on it to handle the knocks on the rocks.

Laplander - was the wet fall the reason that many farmers were late in cutting beans this year? You all have great dirt up there north of the river.

Ironman

Yes the wet weather is exactly the reason. Soybeans are like a sponge soak it up fast slow to dry back down:shrug:
Jeff

It happened again this weekend. Ironman and I were checking out a new site and the CTX found another Silver coin spill. A 1944 merc dime, 1924 merc dime and a 1944 Walking liberty Half all in the same hole. This machine is awesome!

My honest take on machines is that the one a person “connects with” the best is going to find them things,it WILL happen. The reason it will happen is because they enjoy using it and are very in tune with it,and use it a lot. Some don’t like the CTX for whatever reason,or have switched for whatever reason,and it’s all good. As long as you’re having success with what you have,why change? I wouldn’t,unless I see indisputable proof that I should.
Moreb....ya did good! I’m sure other machines may have seen that spill but it was the CTX you were using at the time,and you were using it because you feel CONFIDENT THAT EVEN IF THE TARGET IS TOUGH,IT WILL FIND IT! It’s a great confidence to have,the CTX has made finding silver and old coins into child’s play for me.
Bryan....thank you for the water hunting advice/info. I can’t wait to try it out and see what’s in these places!
Merry Christmas to all!

Kevin