Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I’ve never updated my machine…

Pyledriver

I’ve been doing a little research on the updates for the equinox since I have never done even the first update after owning my machine for about three years now. It seems like there are mixed reviews on whether updates should be done, which updates, and I’ve even seen some feedback saying that the 3.0 update was horrible etc. etc. So mainly I’m trying to figure out if someone can give me the Cliff Notes version of do I really want to update the machine or not? My machine is used at fresh and salt beaches, old home sites that are pretty trashy, field hunting at an all ghost town nearby, and every so often in the gold fields not looking for gold (I have an SDC 2300 for that) but sifting through old mining camps. I know somebody might be curious as to why I have not updated, so the reason for that is that I work a lot and I really only get out a few times a year with the equinox for local detecting. Most of my detecting time is now spent in the gold fields of Arizona where I go out for a week at a time several times a year and get my fix that way. So admittedly the equinox has kind of been a back burner machine when I just suddenly get the urge to go detecting around here and dig trash all the time lol! Any input is appreciated!

When I did the first update it seemed like the zinc penny TID changed to the dime TID range, but hey, it’s clad coin. Silver still rang up where I needed it. I’ve upgraded to the latest firmware (last year I believe) and I haven’t noticed any negative issues.

My Equinox had version 1.75 on it when bought it and I updated it to version 2.0 which had just been introduced.
Later on I updated to version 3.0, but eventually reverted back to version 2.0.
The reason I did that is to me, the tones did not sound quite the same on certain targets.
At first I thought it was it my imagination until I asked another forum member and he said he noticed the same thing.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can update and if you do not like that version, you can go back to a previous version.

Ok, sounds like I’m not missing too much! I’ve always liked how the machine runs and I have found some dang good stuff with it.

2 sides of the story "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and "you will never know what your missing if you don't try it" Edge coins would of concern to me.
HH Jeff

2 sides of the story "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and "you will never know what your missing if you don't try it" Edge coins would of concern to me.
HH Jeff
Edge coins still read in one grid direction. IMO, when the software people made edge half dollars easily read, it opened the VDI bounces on the machine. I will accept, or miss, an edge coin. Oddly, it is the half dollar coins which get a little tricky when on edge. Smaller coins don't give a lot of trouble on edge. I will still keep running V1.5. It is simply a cleaner analysis overall. JMHO

Interesting about coins on edge… I’ve found many that way but maybe because I grid one way and then the other?

In my testing edge coins read about half the normal TID in one direction with original software. I could care less about TID bounce. Thats what makes this machine so versatile set it up the way you like it's yours. Don't be scared to try updates though. JMO
HH Jeff

My Equinox had version 1.75 on it when bought it and I updated it to version 2.0 which had just been introduced.
Later on I updated to version 3.0, but eventually reverted back to version 2.0.
The reason I did that is to me, the tones did not sound quite the same on certain targets.
At first I thought it was it my imagination until I asked another forum member and he said he noticed the same thing.
One thing to keep in mind is that you can update and if you do not like that version, you can go back to a previous version.
I started with 1.75 but did both sw updates. I did like the addition of the 4khz frequency in the 3.0 sw update, as it seems to really enhance conductive tones.

I started with 1.75 but did both sw updates. I did like the addition of the 4khz frequency in the 3.0 sw update, as it seems to really enhance conductive tones.
I used 4 kHz some also and found a few old coins, but I had alot of trash read like coins too.
Personally I prefer multifrequency which I normally use unless I get a lot of EMI.
I do remember getting an iffy signal in multi tone one day and checked it in 4khz.
It read more like a coin than multi frequency, and when I dug the signal, it turned out to be a clad dime laying on top of a nickel… that did impress me.

I always update all my electronics to the latest firmware. The manufacturer puts them out for a reason. With 3.0, they added some stability as well as the 4k frequency. I notice the stability on the beach.

How does one tell if they have the latest firmware by having the 4khz ?

Turn the machine on. It should be in multi-frequency. Look at the bottom row of touch pads, On the far right is the frequency button. Hit it once and it should show 4 khz on the screen.