Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I build wood boats

mudpuppy

Or at least I used to before detecting came along and sucked up all my time. I get epoxy from RAKA which is the best and cheapest I've found, then, a guy gets some wood from the local lumberyard, has sort of an idea what he wants, and just starts in...you dont need plans, just basic hand tools and a heated shop. During construction, the wood and mental processes come together and create something sometimes not intended.
like the Tug, i started out to build a 20' center console, work boat. It was good therapy for the nights you cant sleep, and sooner or later, somebody talks you out of them and you have to build another.
Bummer, most of my other pics are too many KBs to load! Lemme see if I can resize them..

Stunningly AWESOME Mud!!!!:beers::please::surprised: The wooden kayak (I think it is?) in the second post is beautiful. Looks to me like there's enough room for mucho bacon, a sleeping bag, and some gold pans!!:crazy: It must be a special thrill to finish one of those bad boys and take it for a dip the very first time.

A very talented man you are Mud. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.:thumbup::thumbup:

Wow, when I read the title I thought maybe those little rc boats .. those boats are very beautiful and you are obviously a skilled craftsman .. I can only the hours and commitment it must take to make one of those..very very cool mud.

Those look good. I've looked around at some plans, but never get around to trying to build anything.
Was considering a jon boat, or something like that one with the outboard. That one looks really good.

Its easy and really fast when you dont use plans, you just let the wood take you where it wants to go...I have that open hull kayak and the 20' river boat still...that river boat is my favorite..it runs really nice with the 15hp 4stroke...I can take her down the river and clean up trash in the log jams, or go right on through out into Lake Mich and fish for salmon...i built an extended tiller out of an aluminum baseball bat and run standing up. I also pour a bag of sand/grout over the bottom when the epoxy is still wet, and the bottom sets up like a grinding wheel, so no worries of tearing it out.

Anyway, good fast rowboats are fun and easy, even the big river boat is easy...those Kayaks on the other hand, they are the TOUGHEST boat to build to get "right" take a huge amount of time and fooling around...a nice little 15' standard boat of any shape or size will cost maybe 400 bucks in materials...I have a bunch of redwood that I may turn into a strip canoe or something if I ever get the chance.

WOW!!!:yikes: from your metal detecting post i never would've dreamed you are so talented.:rofl::rofl: just kidding of course. beautiful work..

Very nice Mud. Glad I got to see a couple of them up close. Really like the grout idea on the bottom of the river boat. See you on the beaches!

Absolutely amazing craftsmanship Mud. Beautiful boats indeed!

I always wanted to build a boat...very nice mud!... boats are cool.

Mudd how is it your not a gazillionare?

I think allot of people would cough up about 12k - 16k for that tugboat! Not including the power train.

I for one would love to have one like that. I would take it to Canada and live on it for a few months a year.

That is if I could ever afford to quit my night job.

What is powering the tug boat?

How much did you sell it for?

How do you get them coast guard approved?

Why do you metal detect? :confused:

Im just building a shed and I thought I was quite good with wood..........those creations are superb Mud,absolutely stunning.

That is really neat. I once bought a book to build a small flat bottom boat. It was called the 149 dollar boat or somthing like that, never got around to doing it. One day I hope.

Great stuff, where are you located? I would like to look at some of your boats. As a MD I would love to do some island hopping this summer.