Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I build wood boats

First i seen of this thread and like someone said above, thought it was gonna be model boats.
Mud, you are one master boat builder extraordinaire!

Mud.....I'm a boat builder too!!! howdya like mine? lol:rofl: Your work is very impressive and they must have given you a lot of satisfaction on completion:thumbup:

I took some of my #1 sequoia and built this Stand Up Paddleboard....I like twisty shaft paddles, this one was out of a standing dead sassafras tree...I went with a Whale Tail Motif throughout...it weighed @30lbs...I only took it out once...some guy had to have it...I might do a few redwood surfboards...that redwood really looks good under epoxy..I may have posted this project before? Cant remember if I did....

Now that its warming up, I'm getting the bug to do a boat of somesort this Summer...it will have to be in Aug with a week of good dry hot weather, since I have to build outside...
Mud

Hey mud, thats some fine quality work there!
Where do you find the time to metal detect?

My woodworking (and metal working) projects take up all my free time.

That paddle board is just awesome Mud! You certainly have a skill there and do quality work:thumbup:. It's unfortunate you don't live as close to the beach as I do (SoCal about 50 minutes away) because you could just set up a stand on the boardwalk and sell them like hotcakes and make a ton of money!! Of course I would be your manager:clapping: You may not want to but can I ask how much you would sell a paddle board like what you have posted? If you don't want to post, I would understand.

I built a stitch and glue 17' garvey. It was a great project that I did with my dad before he passed away. We caught a lot of fish in that boat. Hope to build another some day. Latest project was rebuilding a 1961 Piper Colt aircraft.

Tony

Nothing like seeing a master craftsman making these type of boats,its a total skill that has been lost in many ways to modern materials like fibreglass/plastics and aluminium.All those boats are works of are but i must admit i really like that whale tail board that was pretty cool,i did see someone make a few small boats in Canada on Salt Springs Island a few years back.

But the art of making wooden boats is really fascinating i guess as a result of seeing some of our real early warships like the world famous 'Mary Rose' that was recovered many years ago from its watery grave and was Henry 8th flag ship but sank in 1545 and today is kept in a climate control building so that it does not decay.

Modern boats just dont have the beauty of these hand built wooden boats,craftsmanship and skill are priceless.

That's truly a work of art. I grew up around salty old boats as a kid back on Cape Cod. We don't see too many classic old boats here in CO these days.