Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I can't find an IH penny:surrender:

archer

I have been swinging my Etrac for over a year. During that time I have found wheaties, mercs, barbers, walkers and buffs. I have not found a single Indian head. I have reached the point where I feel I must be messing up some how.

Any ideas what I may be missing?

My guess would be maybe your looking for numbers too high,Just a thought.
I'm guessing a lot of indians register 11-27,11-29,30 or 12-30.
If i get an 11 or 12 on the ferrous side im diggin it!
LabradorBob

Most of my IH cents come in between 29 all the way up to 38 conductive, depending upon the soil, depth, how thin it is and extent of corrosion of the coin.

I've found 4 in less than 10 hours hunting with my E Trac (I've had it 2 weeks). I think you've just not put the coil over one yet. It will come.

Archer, I dug plenty of Indians with my XS and SE's, but I did not dig one with my Etrac until I woke up a couple of weeks ago. I purposely took the Etrac to the spots where I have found old silver and Indians in the past. I have ignored zinc signals and a couple of weeks ago out of boredom, I started paying more attention to the depth gauge. I saw a couple of 11-12 to the low 30's signals that read over half way down the depth gauge. I dug to six or seven inches on the first signal and found a 1895 IH. I ended up with three more in the next half hour. I went back yesterday and found two more. I have hunted this fairgrounds for the last seven years and I have found more silver here with the Etrac than I would ever believe possible. I have only used the Etrac for a month and a half and have found 25 silver coins and over 150 wheat pennies. I don't think it is any deeper than the older Explorers, but it is much better at seeing a good target with trash on top or it or nearby. The most amazing thing is I have hunted these spots hard that last couple of years with my other detectors, I quit hunting them when good finds were becoming scarce. Without a doubt, the Etrac is the easiest, deepest, and best trashy site detector made and this is in one of the factory preset modes. Too many people are picking this detector up and making outstanding finds within hours of starting out. It is a scary thought when I think of how many Etracs are being used.

ssshhhhh! Let the E-Trac be our secret :twodetecting:

RLOH said:
Archer, I dug plenty of Indians with my XS and SE's, but I did not dig one with my Etrac until I woke up a couple of weeks ago. I purposely took the Etrac to the spots where I have found old silver and Indians in the past. I have ignored zinc signals and a couple of weeks ago out of boredom, I started paying more attention to the depth gauge. I saw a couple of 11-12 to the low 30's signals that read over half way down the depth gauge. I dug to six or seven inches on the first signal and found a 1895 IH. I ended up with three more in the next half hour. I went back yesterday and found two more. I have hunted this fairgrounds for the last seven years and I have found more silver here with the Etrac than I would ever believe possible. I have only used the Etrac for a month and a half and have found 25 silver coins and over 150 wheat pennies. I don't think it is any deeper than the older Explorers, but it is much better at seeing a good target with trash on top or it or nearby. The most amazing thing is I have hunted these spots hard that last couple of years with my other detectors, I quit hunting them when good finds were becoming scarce. Without a doubt, the Etrac is the easiest, deepest, and best trashy site detector made and this is in one of the factory preset modes. Too many people are picking this detector up and making outstanding finds within hours of starting out. It is a scary thought when I think of how many Etracs are being used.

I have dug 21 IHC's since i got my etrac 5 weeks ago. And majority of them were deep bouncing iffy signals, some were one way hits some come in at 01-31, and least 2 that I can remember, but most come in like zinc pennies, but if your not digging the deep iffy signals, you may be missing them. Dig all things that all CO # of 27 and above if it is more than 5 inches

Don't feel bad, I've had my E-trac 1 1/2 yrs and in that time I've got a bucket full of clad and other relics, only a handfull of older coins and out of those only 3 were IH's. Not to mention the loads of junk! Hopefully my research will yield some better sites.

You will get one archer, just keep at it:thumbup:

If you're getting all those other goodies it is just a matter of time...Good Luck!

LL2 said:
Too bad you cant block out up to a certain depth..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have often felt the same way about this. The problem, and let me say it has been my experience, in my area where I'm from the coins are not that deep. I do not truly feel "tested" yet as to the depth capabilities of my machine. My coins average around 5". My deepest find to date is in a local park and was a 9" wheat penny co-located with a nail.

Having said that, my oldest coin, a 1887 IH penny came in at less than 3". I'll dig every memorial around here.

Yes I know depth is not always setting an era of when stuff is from. I dug an 1809 half cent at about 3" ?????????????????

coins shift up and down depending on how the ground conditions change. so one year a coin could be at 6 inches. a few years later the ground conditions have moved it to 4 inches. or could be the other way around and a few years later could be 8 inches deep. its all about the ground shifting the coins remember that when you dig those old coins at shallow depths.

weston

I've found 12 Indian Head cents so far this year. Forget about the ferrous number. They are often all over the place. A few had the expected 11 or 12 but most were much lower...as low as 1. The ferrous number also often bounces all over the place with each sweep of the coil when it comes to Indians. Paying attention to the conductivity numbers mentioned in the above posts is the key. Best of luck to you!

Over the past 3 years of my on and off detecting, I have only found 4 IH's, and ZERO barbers or walkers....

It's all about luck and location!

I`ve dug somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 IH this year so far. I`ve seen em range from high 20`s to around mid 30`s on the conductive scale. Alot of the deep ones seem to be iffy one way signals also. If I can get it to repeat and have the CO numbers stay fairly close I usually dig it.

Diggin It said:
I`ve dug somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 IH this year so far. I`ve seen em range from high 20`s to around mid 30`s on the conductive scale. Alot of the deep ones seem to be iffy one way signals also. If I can get it to repeat and have the CO numbers stay fairly close I usually dig it.

I agree. The Indian heads I have dug have been CO 33-34 range when solid and a lot of them were just iffy crappy signals that sounded interesting enough to dig.

Corroded zinc pennies come in at the same CO as IHs, typically low 30s. The key then, if you don't want to dig too many zincs, is to dig the deeper signals.

-Alex

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to avoid zinc pennies. I will be digging more targets at the older sites.