Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Can't Take This Anymore..!

fastdraw

I have been at the old baseball park for 2 and 1/2 hours teaching my wife how to metal detect with Nox 600. She has failed to pull up one single coin. This old park is filled with pocket change..! After the first hour I had her watch me pull up a dime in less than 5 minutes. she is still out there and has not pulled up anyting. I think she needs to be blindfolded and shot at dawn. (Joke) I'm going to give her another 30 minutes and that is all I need to know

Hope you have a test garden. That is a great place to learn. When I use the 800 I hunt in Park 1, 3 tones and first hunt by tone then look at the meter. I do cherry pick with the 800.

did you notch it so she can't miss ?......make it easy...I told you so !!!!!! JUST THE COIN NUMBERS...NOTHING ELSE !

Last edited:
In my opinion, you are expecting too much too soon from your wife.
I remember when I first started detecting back in 2006, I did not find a lot of coins either for a while even in spots I later found piles of them.
I have also helped others get into the hobby and the first few times out, they did not do good either, but eventually got very good at it.
If she gets frustrated, then it is over for her and the hobby.
You have to make it fun for her.
I had a girl some years ago that went with a buddy and I to a school where I know there are plenty of coins to find and figured this would be great site for her to learn at.
she was using an XTerra 705 and it was her first time out.
After about an hour of detecting she had no coins at all.
After another hour she had only a couple of pennies.. during that time my buddy and I had found many coins and mostly quarters.
I told her to follow me.. I got over about 10-12 quarter in less than ten minutes and let here check the signal, Pinpoint it and dig it... even let here keep them.
After that, she started doing much better.
Don't expect quick results from your wife..
Just a few posts down you were confused why your buddy finds old coins and you don't.. I have seen this happen many times with my buddy and
in my case it is different detecting methods.. Iow and slow like othere mentioned, but like you he cannot slow down.
We went the other day and in less than 15 minutes, I had two silver dimes and later found another one.. he never found one silver coin that day and has more years of detecting under his belt than me.

Is her setting to high . What search mode is she using.
is she going too fast or slow , is she keeping her coil level with clean sweeps.
do you have here on audio so you can hear what she is hearing.
Doug

Is her setting to high . What search mode is she using.
is she going too fast or slow , is she keeping her coil level with clean sweeps.
do you have here on audio so you can hear what she is hearing.
Doug
The wife needs a lot of work. Here are things she did wrong...

1. The coil was about 12-16 inches above the ground.
2. She would sweep the same arc 3 to 4 times
3. Her sweep took 5-6 seconds
4. Her sweep stopped..! when she got a good tone.
5. She would not walk a slow, or normal pace. Maybe 1 step every minute.
6. She could not locate the location of a good tone she had just sweeped
7. In pinpoint mode, she would move the coil from 3-6 inches
8. Her sweeps were only 3-4 feet from left to right.
9. She never looked at depth of target
10.. In pinpoint mode, she pinpointed poorly and marked the ground far from the target
11. When she detected a target, and figured out where it was, she had difficulty reducing the swing down to the target to get a steady number on coin.

I was constantly telling her to drop the coil to an inch above the ground,..... and within 2 or 3 sweeps it was back up to 14-inches.
I constantly told her one sweep is enough, and WALK as she sweeps. But she would always stop, and sweep numerous times in one spot.
She was in Park-1 Default Nox 600 settings,,,,, sensitivity was 18 Volume was 23 Recovery-3 All numbers rejected except 12-20-21-25-29-30 Above 30 was accepted

She said if I don't take her detecting again, she'll break my detector...! She wants to learn.

All I can say is Be very patient. You don‘t want her to get discouraged. One step at a time. Don’t push her.
The 600 will do the job.
Factory preset and Ground balance and park 1
Don't push her.
Have her watch others
Doug

maybe take her to parks where there are swings etc where digging is very easy so she may get a better grasp of pinpointing. or sandy beach

maybe take her to parks where there are swings etc where digging is very easy so she may get a better grasp of pinpointing. or sandy beach
The digging was never a problem..... I think I'm gona tape a 2-inch Yellow Post-it to different coins, and just place them coin side down,
and have her back off 10-feet and detect a visible target. She'll be forced to drop the coil to detect it, and forced to not stop her swing
to locate it, and place the targets 3-4 feet to the left and right of her walking path to make her swing..! This should help...?

Good grief don’t be so critical. Be gentle. Tell her what she IS doing right. Then walk alongside her ( don’t even use headphones this way you can listen together ) and guide through the rest.
Do not even bring your detector until she is proficient.

Good grief don’t be so critical. Be gentle. Tell her what she IS doing right. Then walk alongside her ( don’t even use headphones this way you can listen together ) and guide through the rest.
Do not even bring your detector until she is proficient.
Maybe I'm giving the wrong impression...… I never raised my voice to her,.... When she did swing and walk correctly, I praised her. But when you tell someone to drop the coil every 2 minutes,
it is hard to keep a positive teaching attitude. I did have her watch me walk and swing, and detect 5 coins, in 20 minutes, and pinpoint them, and dig them up. only using the speaker on the detector. But that was after 3-hours of just her detecting, and I was burned out. and didn't want to teach her anymore that day. Besides,... if I don't teach her, she'll brake my detector..!

Maybe I'm giving the wrong impression...… I never raised my voice to her,.... When she did swing and walk correctly, I praised her. But when you tell someone to drop the coil every 2 minutes,
it is hard to keep a positive teaching attitude. I did have her watch me walk and swing, and detect 5 coins, in 20 minutes, and pinpoint them, and dig them up. only using the speaker on the detector. But that was after 3-hours of just her detecting, and I was burned out. and didn't want to teach her anymore that day. Besides,... if I don't teach her, she'll brake my detector..!
I've been detecting since 1971 and I'm having trouble understanding your instructions to her. What do you mean by drop the coil every 2 minutes?

I've been detecting since 1971 and I'm having trouble understanding your instructions to her. What do you mean by drop the coil every 2 minutes?
she swings the coil up in the air from 12 to 16 off the ground, and I have to remind her to drop it

Last edited:
Don't worry she will settle in and get her groove.
Your right.... she just needs a little more practice with targets on the surface, and then everything will "Click" She already wants
to get a detector for her own..! I'm thinking of the MineLab Vanquish 440 Model for her.