Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Sure Miss My X-1 Probe

Yeasty

Dont get me wrong. I'm gonna have a long happy relationship with my new CTX. I took it out to a really pounded trashy area which I had covered with my ETrac to see what she could do and did very well. The CTX target separation is amazing.
HOWEVER. I was forced to buy a ProPointer for sorting out the good stuff from the dug dirt. Since the ProPointer, unlike the X-1, dosent discriminate it added a lot of time to find the desired target amongst the metallic trash. Also I'm gonna have to come up with some kind of tether for the ProPointer. I'm afraid of losing it.
I sure hope somebody comes up with a solution to get the same performance from a probe like the X-1 for the CTX.

I had a DX-1 for my V3i and didn't like it because of the added weight and extra time it took to take it off the mount, flip the switch and place it back on the mount and flip the switch. It was also a muf magnet. The Pro Piointer works great for me. I carry in my left hand as I hunt. I never had any desire for it to dscriminate - I guess I just haven't been to enough trashy sites with it yet. However, I can see how it would be a hassle in a trashy site. BTW I sold the V3i, too.

Uniprobe works out pretty well.. I never did like using them before due trying to manage both cables but when used with the WM 10 it works out much nicer... Gets about the same depth as the Sunray but no discrimination... Nice to get sound through the headphones and no weight added to detector... When plugged directly into 3030 it does not turn off the detector speaker . Also have a pro pointer but it i poor substitute after using Sunrays for many years....wildherre

7166619853_700abd05e2_b.jpg

When I started using the X-TERRA, I had withdrawal symtoms for the SunRay probes as well. But there is something to be said for having one pinpointer for use on multiple detectors. I'm not trying to take anything away from the SunRay probes, as they are an excellent tool. I "lost" my Vibraprobe out in a corn field one day......took me over an hour to find it hiding amongst the downed stalks. On the way home, I vowed to come up with some sort of contraption that would solve the problem of the missing probe. I took a janitor's type key holder with the Kevlar "cable", fastened a small tether to the Vibraprobe and it worked great. When my Vibraprobe shot craps, I switched to the Garrett Propointer. Before I ever took it out in the field, I had secured my contraption to it just in case I happened to drop it while hunting in a timber or field. The beauty of this is the retractable kevlar cable never gets in your way when you dig. And if you happen to leave your pinpointer on the ground, or miss the holster when you think you've put it away, it will drag behind you, gently pulling on your belt to let you know you goofed up. Here are a couple pics of what I call my "Finder Keeper". HH Randy

[attachment 234988 propointertether001.JPG]

[attachment 234987 VibraProbetethered.jpg]

I hope all of our pinpointer problems will go away if and when Minelab comes out with a wireless pinpointer that works like the SunRay. With the technology that Minelab has been coming out with, I would think a pinpointer that acts like a second input coil with automatic switching would not be that challenging. Minelab?

Larry (IL) said:
I hope all of our pinpointer problems will go away if and when Minelab comes out with a wireless pinpointer that works like the SunRay. With the technology that Minelab has been coming out with, I would think a pinpointer that acts like a second input coil with automatic switching would not be that challenging. Minelab?

Were all hoping for a seamless solution from Minelab...wildherre

I all for that Larry I would order one today. :thumbup:

I used to tote around a Sovereign control box in a hipmount bag with a S-1 probe on it when I used a Nautilus.The later model S-1s are made so the probe unscrews from the switch box and screws right on the control box so you dont have to use the S-1 switch box.. The Sovereign actually works better with a probe as it doesnt auto detune in all metal so you can lay the probe down & dig with out the detector going nuts... When the X-1 came out for the Explorers I was actually pretty disappoined in how it worked compared to a S-1 on a Sovereign.....wildherre

sunray-s1-super-targetprobe.jpg