Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I wish to give our northern friends a laugh

pulltabfelix

Best time for metal detecting around Georgia. Late Fall and winter. Get out my cold weather gear, we might get temperatures in the low 30's soon. (this is where you laugh).

In the summer we are blessed with jungle like weeds, rains, high humidity and temperatures in the high nineties. If that is not enough there are the mosquitos, yellow jacket (worse than snakes because they can catch you when you run) nest buried in the ground were we swing, snakes especially water moccasins, copperhead (the worst) and rattle snakes. We also have coral snakes, but you would have to stick your nose close to their mouth to get them to bite you. Momma deer with fawns who will challenge you in a heart beat. Did I say rain, yes spring and early summer, digging in the mud. Late summer early fall ground is dry and like concrete, especially the red clay. So now you see why we brave 30 degree temperatures in the south to go metal detecting in the winter. We wrap up in our goretex jackets, wool gloves, insulated underwear and thick socks in our boots to brave the 30 degree weather. And of course a thick wool watch cap and ear muffs and wool gloves.

So
Best time for metal detecting around Georgia. Late Fall and winter. Get out my cold weather gear, we might get temperatures in the low 30's soon. (this is where you laugh).

In the summer we are blessed with jungle like weeds, rains, high humidity and temperatures in the high nineties. If that is not enough there are the mosquitos, yellow jacket (worse than snakes because they can catch you when you run) nest buried in the ground were we swing, snakes especially water moccasins, copperhead (the worst) and rattle snakes. We also have coral snakes, but you would have to stick your nose close to their mouth to get them to bite you. Momma deer with fawns who will challenge you in a heart beat. Did I say rain, yes spring and early summer, digging in the mud. Late summer early fall ground is dry and like concrete, especially the red clay. So now you see why we brave 30 degree temperatures in the south to go metal detecting in the winter. We wrap up in our goretex jackets, wool gloves, insulated underwear and thick socks in our boots to brave the 30 degree weather. And of course a thick wool watch cap and ear muffs and wool gloves.
Sounds like fun Felix. :)-----Now I know why I like detecting in CA :)

You forgot the Ticks Felix, they will mess you up! I have had the tick disease twice! Waiting for the deer season to die down for now!
HH Jeff
yes i did forget those little boogers. I usually spray my boots, jeans with deep woods off. But still have gotten 2-3 ticks in a years time.

Pulltab, yeah we don't like bugs or snakes or crazy deer or poison ivy or ticks or too many people where we hunt.....
I have grown to like dressing in layers and wear a hoodie for my ears and get out in 30 degree weather. We even hold a few hunts in the cold and wind just to get out and get together.
Best of luck out there.
Tony NJ

I don't have to worry about tick or bugs for about the next 5 months.

Attachments

• 20211129_083006.jpg
    20211129_083006.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
Winter approaching here too. On days where its in the 40s I wear a waffle weave Henley style shirt under a heavy old hoodie. Try not to go out in the 30s but I have….. inside when it hits mid 80s. I know, I’m a princess……

You got that right.
A few weeks back I went to a local sledding hill on a gloomy cold day and I enjoyed the peace!
I know what you mean. I was out with my CTX today for 2 hours in a park with few people. Got some good deep silver signals, but the dirt was too hard to get past 3-4". I will return after a soaking rain. But just being out there is so nice. It is amazing even a small park surrounded by the urban sprawl of Atlanta is still a peaceful oasis. Trees, rocks, dirt, streams are in our DNA not concrete and steel.

You have an Amen from a fellow Georgian relic hunter. Those relic hunters who are from Virginia and Tennessee that are afforded the luxury of hunting in open fields and pastures are truly blessed beyond measure.

You forgot the Ticks Felix, they will mess you up! I have had the tick disease twice! Waiting for the deer season to die down for now!
HH Jeff
Yes, Ticks and No Shoulders are not on any favorite list of any Georgia relic hunters. Not mine anyway.

2 or 3 stuck on a day for me they are lousy here!
When I was younger I would hunt some in the summer months in some real thick woods and brush. One of the first things you would do once home is undress and begin on a search and destroy mission (tick removal). Then it was time for a hot shower. Sometimes late in the middle of the night I would suddenly sit up in bed with the sensation that something was crawling on me. A quick examination in the light would reveal a tick. Where in the world was that lil' devil hiding, and how did he manage to remain on during a hot, scrubbing shower? I hate those lil' devils.

Cold and heat, best times of the year to hunt. You see, it keeps the riff raff indoors along the the princesses. HH jim tn
High Georgia temp's with our high summer humidity may keep this princess indoors.......but not the cold. One can dress in layers in order to be warm, but nothing can be done in our summers in order to make you comfortable........except stay inside with the a/c on, wearing proudly the tiara. Lol

lows mid 40's - mid 50's, high 70-80F gotta love Arizona
and on top of that you got deserts with GOLD and away from pull tabs, poptops and crew caps.

and on top of that you got deserts with GOLD and away from pull tabs, poptops and crew caps.
No we never get away from the pulltabs and screw caps. But if we are out prospecting we find more lead and trash. Here in southern AZ we find more trash than you could ever imaging that is left behind from the illegals. Humanitarians leave them food and water, in return the illegals leave it all in the washes along with their empty back packs, rosaries, and trophies from after they have raped the girls they smuggle.