Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Illinois Ghost Towns

Charles B

ALPINE, Cook County, Illinois

Located 30 miles southwest of Chicago and three miles south of Orland Park. It was originally established as a Wabash Line Railroad station in 1891 (possibly as early as 1881). In 1910 Alpine was at its peak. In 1912 fire destroyed the store and two saloons, putting the town in a tailspin and by WWII it was a vacant site.

It's now a subdivision with the same streets and street names

BAKER, LaSalle County, Illinois

This old railroad town is located along the Burlington-Northern Railroad about a quarter mile east of where the tracks cross SH 23 (E 18th Rd., at a point a mile north of the junction of SH 23/CR (County Route) 22, seven miles west-northwest of Sheridan and six miles southeast of Earlville.

Lat: 41.5555866 / 41

CULTON, La Salle County, Illinois

At junction of US 52/SH 251, five miles south of Mendota, four miles west of I-39 at Exit 66.

LaCLAIR, DeKalb County, Illinois

Five miles north of Earlville, on road that runs along the county line in southwest corner of the county.

LITTLE ROCK, Kendall County, Illinois

In northwest corner of county, at junction of CR 12/16, five miles northwest of Plano.

MINOCK JUNCTION, Woodford County, Illinois

Two miles south of Minonk, two miles north of Woodford, on road just east of and paralleling I-39

MISSAL, Livingston County, Illinois

Four miles east of South Streeter along railroad, and just south of the county line.

OLD SHAWNEETOWN, Gallatin County, Illinois

Old Shawneetown is a village in Gallatin County, Illinois, United States. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 193. Located along the Ohio River, Shawneetown served as an important United States government administrative center for the Northwest Territory. The village was devastated by the Ohio River flood of 1937. The village's population was moved several miles inland to New Shawneetown.

Shawneetown and Washington, D.C., share the distinction of being the only towns chartered by the United States government. In early November 1803, Lewis and Clark are believed to have stopped at Old Shawneetown on their way to Fort Massac, just down the Ohio River.

Old Shawneetown is the site of the first bank chartered in Illinois in 1812. Originally in a log cabin it was replaced in 1822 with a brick structure (only the second one in the town) now known as the John Marshall House.

Local legend states that the Shawneetown Bank refused to buy the first bonds issued by the city of Chicago on the grounds that no city located that far from a navigable river could survive. Apparently they were correct in their prediction.

All right, now we are talking............ Illinois......:thumbup:

Thanks Charles

I'll keep trying to dig up more of them for you Larry. I have to pull out some of the old maps. It is amazing how many of these towns there are. I just found 10 for sure and maybe as many 21 in Clinton County, Pa.

Too many towns.....too little time to hunt them.
I'll keep finding them if you guys will hunt them and send us some pictures.

It is really a shame to see a town deteriorate like that but it looks prime for detecting. Cairo was a major activity center during the Civil war as well.

Oh yeah Larry....we are definitely going to have to go to Cairo!! :cheers: