Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm Back!

Eric Foster

I must have polarized my brain cells with all those magnetic pulses I have absorbed over the years. It's impossible to retire from P.I..
Here I am at a local beach a couple of weeks ago getting back into the swing of things.

Big fan !
Have two of your machines an Aquasearch and a Goldscan 5C.
Good to see you posting again !

Eric that is great news. And I know this hobby needs you back also. Your knowledge on PI's is price less. Thanks for all you have done in the past. I must say it looks right you with a detector in your hand.

Woo Hoo.

I want to show you some nostalgic pics.

I told Gary Storm at Detector Pro that my best performing of my 3 Head Hunter PI's is the old black one with one of your 10"custom coils modded by Mr. Bill of old Surf Scanners.
Gary said it's probably the best one because of the coil.

My old Aqua Sport that was used by Donnie Jonas in the Mel Fisher days. I got it from Donnie's son. I showed it to Capt. Syd Jones and KT at a Atocha lecture.

Machines have come a long way because of you.

Welcome back

ROBOCOP

Long time no see......

Eric.....

I will echo the sentiments of many others already and say what a great day it is to see you back on the Findmall forum.

Hope to hear more from you soon......no pressure...........well maybe just a bit :thumbup:

Regards,
Tony

There are many Eric Fosters but as far as I know, it is only me who has a 50 year association with Pulse Induction metal detectors.
As I my have mentioned before P.I. is even older than that, as I have a paper written in 1956 entitled 'A Pulsed Bomb Locator'. Exactly the same principle, but it was before transistors and I.C.'s were readily available and was somewhat impractical with tubes (valves). In 1966 transistors and a few I.C.s were available, so it was possible to make portable battery powered detectors. That is where I came in.

It appears that I am still a moderator. Is that so? How about Bill Crabtree? I know that he moved to Florida a few years back but have lost touch.

Eric.

If Bill Crabtree is in Florida tell him to come over to the Treasure coast (Sebastian, Fl). He can walk the beaches of the 1715 fleet swinging a PI, pretty clean beach.

Watch the salvage boats work close to shore.

Er, I take that back, After 4th of July we're going to get a lot of sparkler wire on the beach. Bring an Excal or I'll lend him one, scoop too.

Kip Wagner started it.

ROBOCOP

I first came to Florida in 1968 after reading an article in the 1965 National Geographic by Kip Wagner. I came right up to Sebastian hoping to meet him, but he wasn't around at the time. The National Geographic article, 'Drowned Galleons yield Spanish Gold' was very inspiring, and still is. I remember meeting somebody, who I think, was in Mel's Treasure Salvors group and having a discussion about underwater detectors. This was interesting as I had been involved in developing a diver held detector which was later produced by a company called Elsec in Oxford, England. I believe Mel had one of these early on.

After all these years it appears that there is still a lot to do as regards the 1715 fleet and also the Atocha site in the Keys.

Eric.

I came to Florida in Sept 1968 to attend the Florida Institute of Technology and then worked at the Space Center for 34 years. The Jan 1965 issue of National Geographic is the one you are speaking of.

I have a copy of that article. The Satellite Beach, Florida library has all those old issues in bound binders. The Manila Galleons is in September 1990.

Sir Robert Marx lives in the neighborhood if you want to meet him.

That AquaSport detector label says by Location Technology Systems A Division of Protovale LTD. Made in England. I thought you originated this one?

Thanks,

ROBOCOP

Yes, that is correct. When I came back from Ireland (Location Technology Ltd) in 1983, I worked at Protovale for a couple of years. That was when I designed the Aquasport.

Eric.

Thank you for that info. I enjoy the trivia. Dave Spencer at Kellyco said he could probably put a new coil on it and get it to work. I thought I would leave it alone because it has that Donnie Jonas
connection. The only feedback I ever got was someone remembered when 3 of these got in to Australia. I'll find that link and post it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,2049481,2075380#msg-2075380 This link is from 2 years ago when you first disappeared, funny.

I heard Mel Fisher was one of the first people to get one of these, does that sound familiar? If so, the crew may have had it when they found the Atocha in 1985.

I know on the Mel Fisher website they have links to Mel's old underwater home movies. One of them was entitled the woman and the maneater shark. I believe this detector is in that video.

It has a unique profile, I don't know of another like it.

ROBOCOP

Hello Eric!

I will echo the sentiment expressed by others and say that I am happy to hear you are fit and active. You are looking great in that photo - is that an ATX I spy on your arm with a custom coil?

Funny you mention that National Geographic article by Kip Wagner. I also read that article and credit it with first igniting the desire in me to search for treasure. I was just a youngster but finally got my first detector seven years later.

Eric,

This really made my day to see your post! I am still using an Aquastar from time to time. It would be great if you could update the Aquastar in a lighter package with center mounted coils, etc.

Aloha, Terry

Great to see you back Eric Alan Hassell and i had the first Aquasports in Australia. And my mate is still useing it . Great p.i.

All the best Regards R.H. below2doe.

Wow, I love that info about the Aquasports in Australia still working. Maybe I should let Dave Spencer rewire a coil and bone phone and go "old school". We could start a Aquasport forum,lol.

Eric, are you familiar with a AquaPulse mag prototype developed some time ago by Bob Williams in the UK. It works intermittently, knob possibly, Bob told Dave Spencer that no schematics exist for this prototype. Here's a deteiled link.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,2295159

Thanks,
ROBOCOP