Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm joining team V3!!!

Several months ago I decided to get back into the hobby. I quickly picked up a couple high end used detectors to satisfy my urge to experiment and learn more. I had fun with these detectors, but I have wanted a V3i or a E-Trac since I started researching the latest generation of detectors late last year. Well after doing quite a bit of work trying to find the best deal I came across an upgraded V3, wireless headphones, a stock DD coil, 5.3 coil, and 4x6, coil and unit covers for less than you would believe.

So now is the time to ask what next? My new friend will arrive by the Saturday and I have a long weekend to begin to get to know it better. So what do you suggest I do first?

Thanks,
The Shark

Reprogram it with your personal info.....

Throw some coins out in the backyard and go at it!

Register the V3i in your name and information. Start by getting rid of the changes the other owner made. Reset the programs to the original ones from the library. Make sure VCO is on.

Read the manual and the on board manual. Don't make changes unless you know why you are doing it and then get out and have some fun.

If you have any money left, I would get a good pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer for a handheld or my favorite, a SunRay DX-1. The Coin and Jewelry with the VCO turned on or the Hi Pro program as is are two great programs to use right out of the box. Don't worry about any program changes at first, just get out there and have some fun getting used to the V. Good luck.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Than, when you are done, READ IT AGAIN!!!

I'm sick I downloaded and read the manual before I made the purchase. Like I said, I'm a techie! No such thing as too much tech! :bouncy:

Rob (IL) said:
Register the V3i in your name and information. Start by getting rid of the changes the other owner made. Reset the programs to the original ones from the library. Make sure VCO is on.

Read the manual and the on board manual. Don't make changes unless you know why you are doing it and then get out and have some fun.

Excellent advice and it is the same thing I did with the GTI 2500 when I got it. Reset, and stock programs for the first few hunts. The GTI scored a mercury dime for me in under 15 minutes the first time out, so I think that trusting the basic settings when getting to know it is great advice. I learned about VCO when I picked up the XLT, on the GTI it built-in so to speak. While it is a used detector it is coming from a Whites dealer and he is providing the owner and detector history. He sold it originally - single owner, still in warranty. I will have it registered moments after I get it out of the box!!

Larry (IL) said:
If you have any money left, I would get a good pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer for a handheld or my favorite, a SunRay DX-1. The Coin and Jewelry with the VCO turned on or the Hi Pro program as is are two great programs to use right out of the box. Don't worry about any program changes at first, just get out there and have some fun getting used to the V. Good luck.

Larry, I almost bought a Sunray for my GTI before I made the leap for the V3i. I really like the GTI, but the V3 is what I was really after. Parting with the GTI to pay for the V3 will be painful, but the V3 will help me get over it.

I have a Pistol Probe right now and it is very good at what is does, but it could do a couple things better. You MUST take off your headphones to hear it on max volume, and it does not vibrate. Yes it is a little large, but I have found ways to adjust. With a Sunray on the other hand I can leave the headphones on and just get to it. The pistol probe cost me quite a bit of time during a club annual hunt this past weekend due to all the extra steps and I plan to come better prepared next year. I will have a DX-1 for sure and soon.

Thanks to all that replied,

The Shark

n/t

jbow said:

I have downloaded the contents of the stickie at the top of the forum and I am still going strong absorbing information like a sponge. Needless to say the V3 is performing and I am giddy each day waiting to go out dirt fishing. Hard to keep my mind on work each day to be honest.

Oh and I just ordered a used DX-1 from Richard @ Backwoods (I think that is what his site was called) which was an awesome deal at $100. My Pistol Probe just went up for sale!!!! I only have to carry a digger and that can ride on my belt - I am so jazzed because it just keeps getting better.

One other point. Folks say the V is heavy -but they also said that about the GTI and I haven't noticed and strain. Granted I only swing em a couple hours non-stop each day, but it doesn't come close to bothering me so I do not expect the DX-1 to matter much.

The Shark

It sounds like you will get a lot use from your new V3i....... you will like the DX-1 too.......:clapping: