Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm loosing my enthusiasm for the CTX

Trashfinder

It sure sounds like you have a bad coil. When you get a new coil, do one thing for me. When you hunt, slow down and really go slow, I just cannot stress this enough with fbs and multi iQ machines. Also if you are digging a lot of trash try switching to a high trash/conductive mode, also make sure you do not have the Fe line too low on your disc pattern. Just remember in high trash the Co/fe will be different than say Ferrous coin/combined type setup. I have one mode on my user button so i can hunt in one and switch to the other to check targets. I also noise cancel on a clean spot of ground, Target trace can really help too if you have it turned on. I dug a merc and a buffalo a few days ago in a high trash area with my 6 inch coil , both were over 7 inches deep. Nox is my favorite machine but I won't sell my CTX or Etrac because they come in real handy in certain situations that are trash specific. I agree with IDX the CTX is a great machine and since you already have it, i think a new coil will really help with your satisfaction with the machine.

Let me know if that screen setup and running in Auto+3 helps your situation Shark. If you think the coil is still not acting correctly, PM me your address and I’ll send mine out.

Will do.

I am currently rebuilding the motor on a 87 Yamaha quad which is taking up all of my spare time. I would not be rebuilding such an old machine if people here in the Peoples Republic of California were anywhere close to sane when it comes to the value of the old POS quads they are selling. A total basket case that would sell for $500 (or less) in the Midwest will land close to $2500 here in So Cal. These people are completely off their rocker when it comes to off-road vehicles, so I am repairing my old one. It comes in handy when I want to do a detecting expedition out here in the woods or the desert. Sure beats walking miles off the nearest access road in any case!! And pushing one with a worn out engine is even less fun!

It sure sounds like you have a bad coil. When you get a new coil, do one thing for me. When you hunt, slow down and really go slow, I just cannot stress this enough with fbs and multi iQ machines. Also if you are digging a lot of trash try switching to a high trash/conductive mode, also make sure you do not have the Fe line too low on your disc pattern. Just remember in high trash the Co/fe will be different than say Ferrous coin/combined type setup. I have one mode on my user button so i can hunt in one and switch to the other to check targets. I also noise cancel on a clean spot of ground, Target trace can really help too if you have it turned on. I dug a merc and a buffalo a few days ago in a high trash area with my 6 inch coil , both were over 7 inches deep. Nox is my favorite machine but I won't sell my CTX or Etrac because they come in real handy in certain situations that are trash specific. I agree with IDX the CTX is a great machine and since you already have it, i think a new coil will really help with your satisfaction with the machine.

Thanks for the great input. One thing that is buggin me, my CTX is probably a generation one (if there is a such thing) machine. I got it not long after they came out and I have heard about Minelab mods to improve their performance and to avoid leaks in the early models. Except for firmware updates, my CTX is box stock with no mods of any kind. Should I be thinking about that? And what do they charge?

Thanks,
Jon

Trashfinder

Thanks for the great input. One thing that is buggin me, my CTX is probably a generation one (if there is a such thing) machine. I got it not long after they came out and I have heard about Minelab mods to improve their performance and to avoid leaks in the early models. Except for firmware updates, my CTX is box stock with no mods of any kind. Should I be thinking about that? And what do they charge?

Thanks,
Jon
As far as i can remember there was a language update (chinese) i think. And a seal update. So i really think you are still good as far as updates go unless you plan to water hunt then you might want the updated seal system.

IDXMonster

Will do.

I am currently rebuilding the motor on a 87 Yamaha quad which is taking up all of my spare time. I would not be rebuilding such an old machine if people here in the Peoples Republic of California were anywhere close to sane when it comes to the value of the old POS quads they are selling. A total basket case that would sell for $500 (or less) in the Midwest will land close to $2500 here in So Cal. These people are completely off their rocker when it comes to off-road vehicles, so I am repairing my old one. It comes in handy when I want to do a detecting expedition out here in the woods or the desert. Sure beats walking miles off the nearest access road in any case!! And pushing one with a worn out engine is even less fun!
Well, if my old sizzled melon recalls correctly...Yamaha only made a few quads back then. I can’t imagine going metal detecting on a Banshee, so it must be one of the others....maybe a Moto4? A Blaster?

Well, if my old sizzled melon recalls correctly...Yamaha only made a few quads back then. I can’t imagine going metal detecting on a Banshee, so it must be one of the others....maybe a Moto4? A Blaster?
It is an 87 Moto 4 350. It isn't very attractive, nor was it when a family member gave it to me last year. He said it was possessed! LOL I had just sold my 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750 to buy a used motorcycle for my warm weather commute to work, and this family member knew I was a better wrench than him and wanted to keep me going out to the desert with them on their ATVs.

From a King quad with a top end of 72 MPH, to a 2011 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (aka Fat Ninja) was a big change LOL! This touring version of a Ninja ZX-14 is good for 180+ MPH and can do a hold on for dear life 1/4 mile I am told is close to 10 seconds flat! It's nice to know it is that quick, but I am too sane to find out. I have not survived 40 years of riding road bikes without a single scratch by being silly like that.

I got it running after it was given to me, but it has never run well or started easily. I have it running now with the new top end, but the carb needs some love. The new carbs for it are all Chinese knockoffs so I may adapt it with a universal mount and use a Blaster carb. They are readily available and don't need the float which I can't seem to get the level right on. It's starving or overflowing with the stock Mikuni I rebuilt last summer.