Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impressive build quality and I'm greatful for the info threads and vids!

Ytcoinshooter

My 800 arrived today and I fully charged it and the headphones before turning it on. Been engrossed in getting things right in my mind so I can head out and get started, knowing key settings & functions without checking iBooks for my manual. CF shaft is on its way but without water proof cans I'll be limited in where I go. Still have a couple of weeks left here in Florida before heading north. The beach is a great place to start learning a new detector and I'm pretty excited. The threads and videos here have been very informative. Can't wait to hit my test plot up North, then head out for springtime turf hunting. I may get a shot at the red clay in Virginia and haven't seen much on the EQ in that soil.
I'd like it if the backlight was adjustable. The lack of audio modulation / target overload while in motion disc is something I'll have to get used to. On units that have both I turn off the modulation and rely on the overload indicators. Lifting the coil over suspected big targets & cans might be an approach...it's worked on other detectors. I'll have some learning ahead of me for turf hunting, in the water I dig nearly everything. Clalbash digger's vids have been great. The reports posted up show this is going to be great fun.
Happy Hunting!

The backlight is adjustable 3 different brightnesses on left side below power button

Ive not had a problem sizing a target just moving the coil. Quility is very good..... and at least you can see the screen on the beach too lol. I hit the red flag water yesterday...... i must say the coil stayed down nicely. I thought it might float since my coils' epoxy is completely full and im using the cover......which creates a gap. By the way those coil covers you have to work at to get off. You making your own CF...... i ask that because Andersons hasnt got one yet? They stuck with their lower shaft end...... i like Petes better its harder plastic and dont wear as bad. I understand why they did it but i wished we could move the handle. Its not in my normal position so its a little off for me and i cant adjust it. Well i could if i wanted to drill another hole i guess. Like he said backlight is adjustable....... but it does affect battery use. Noticed that yesterday after hunting a couple of hours in the dark on the lowest setting. Its really going to be a good substitute for what we are beach hunting with now...... everything id like in an Xcal wader.....except those phones if they are the same. I mean come on..... new updated machine with really bad phones. Most uncomfortable ive used....... i hope they have a longer cable too. I mean for the price they will charge for them...... you can get a pretty darn good pair of phones.

I'm very happy with my new EQX also! I have seen some people complaining about "shaft wobble" and I'm bit confused. Mine is as tight and solid as could be. I have to wonder if they aren't tightening the shaft lock. Dunno, just a guess since mine is perfect.

Side note, I ignored my own advice to every new detector owner.... After assembling and charging mine, I rushed out to some of my old hunting grounds. Horrible, horrible spots. all-metal sounded like a grade school band during warmup. I don't recommend that, and it wasnt very helpful for me. Need some place cleaner to get the hang of sounds and responses. I did manage to pull a Mercury dime, so its a lucky machine for me. I need to pic a name for her.... Maybe "Mercury" or maybe "Liberty"

Thanks guys, I missed the backlight settings...totally. Dew, thanks for the commemts. Your numerous posts re EQ observations & assessments are in line with the reasons I bought it. As for the CF shaft, I opted for one with 3 positions for the control pod and the cuff is attached with two bolts, uses the stock lower too. Its $25 less if you supply your own cuff (I could have but I wanted to check out this cuff), check your messaging for more info. I called Detector Pro re GGA's and we wont see those until after Minelab releases thier own for sale FIRST. They have a tight grip on the proprietary connector. My main concern is what WaterWalker mentioned, salt water on the charging port contacts over time. I will be thoroughly rinsing in fresh warm water, but id like to know if I should use some electronic grade alcohol with q-tip on them too. Im leary of doing too much but have used the 90% grade extensivly on computer mainframes in the 80's - 90's on magnetic tape read/write heads (for one ex) - mainly to remove the brown oxide that accumulated. Careful around plastics of course. I ought to ask Minelab.

Ha ha ha .... i hear ya Jason. I settled on my settings based on some conversations with testers. Ive put about 40 hour in the last 5 days and you get used to the tones and its chatter to minerals in the water pretty fast. Ive done a few tweaks every time..... so im getting there. Yesterday was 8 hours of dry sand hunting ..... amazing how many gum wrappers, foil, and can slaw are on a beach in the 1-4 range lol. But thats the area i concentrated on. Bottle caps..... shallow one you figure out pretty fast..... but those that are a foot + that turn to digits like 10 gets a big ugh right now. I mean those things are DEEP and still sound really good. Next setting is iron bias. Until i get the phones or cable...... i dont know if things will change . I do know that chatter isnt EMI...... it means you are close to the hard pan..... good thing. We expected more chatter from minerals with increased sensitivity...... so im all good with this machine so far as something i can work with. It could well replace the Xcal as top dog wading machine in the long run if its gold you are looking for. At the end of the year we should know. It wont be for everyone..... especially those who like to hunt with the Xcal running smooth and somewhat quiet and disc most all iron so well. I for one would like to have had a little more sensitivity...... but thats me.

dewcon4414 said:
Ha ha ha .... i hear ya Jason. I settled on my settings based on some conversations with testers. Ive put about 40 hour in the last 5 days and you get used to the tones and its chatter to minerals in the water pretty fast. Ive done a few tweaks every time..... so im getting there. Yesterday was 8 hours of dry sand hunting ..... amazing how many gum wrappers, foil, and can slaw are on a beach in the 1-4 range lol. But thats the area i concentrated on. Bottle caps..... shallow one you figure out pretty fast..... but those that are a foot + that turn to digits like 10 gets a big ugh right now. I mean those things are DEEP and still sound really good. Next setting is iron bias. Until i get the phones or cable...... i dont know if things will change . I do know that chatter isnt EMI...... it means you are close to the hard pan..... good thing. We expected more chatter from minerals with increased sensitivity...... so im all good with this machine so far as something i can work with. It could well replace the Xcal as top dog wading machine in the long run if its gold you are looking for. At the end of the year we should know. It wont be for everyone..... especially those who like to hunt with the Xcal running smooth and somewhat quiet and disc most all iron so well. I for one would like to have had a little more sensitivity...... but thats me.
Good info here :thumbup: I'll remember during my learning curve.

No shaft wobble problem here either or any other problem for that matter. I've got approx 60 hours in on it and now I'm deciphering the different tones very well. I can pick out a zinc by tones just about every time. I hit a Merc yesterday and knew just by the tone that it was gonna be silver. Things are starting to gel.

Good luck with your new machine, Ytcoinshooter! Looking forward to seeing your finds.

Dean