Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Indian Heads. What's the trick?

Monkeys Uncle

My E-trac is great for spotting old silver...BUT, its user can't seem to ID Indian Heads. Found one and it was a surface find in the woods. "Surface" in that it was lying in a H2O 'run-off' rut. Since I prefer old school yards and dig a reasonable amt. of silver, you'd think the kids would have lost MORE pennies than dimes, etc. ...but I'm either not recognizing them (tone?) when the detector passes over them or something else is going on?????? Being a tried/tested detector, I would like to claim more old injuns than "ONE"! Suggestions/comments welcome.

When I'm hunting for old silver/coins I don't dig targets under 6" deep for starts
but there is exceptions to the rule.
I also move at a snail's pace.
Of course the hunting area has to have the history.
Right after it rains is a great time to detect old silver/coins
you will be surprised how much more depth you get when the soil is wet.

Make sure you’re not discing them out, Indians come in at 35 in general, zinc comes in around 37-39 depending....wheats and memorials above even that. Like Robert said, IN GENERAL....Indians will tend to be a deeper target.

When I'm hunting for old silver/coins I don't dig targets under 6" deep for starts
but there is exceptions to the rule.
I also move at a snail's pace.
Of course the hunting area has to have the history.
Right after it rains is a great time to detect old silver/coins
you will be surprised how much more depth you get when the soil is wet.
Good advice, thanks!

disc co numbers 28 to 39....from 1 fe down to 25.... 34 co to 36 co has been good for me.....also try a farmed field at an old home site.

I usually accept only co 32 to 37 for ih's in a park......along with the usual silver coins patterns and nickel pattern.

Follow up question...Are you guys running your etrac's using multi-tone, Conduct OR 2 tone, Ferrous? Anyone use 4 tone?

I like to run with two tone conduct. But like was mentioned, dig those lower conductive tones. You will be missing Gold too if you don't.

Multi Tone Conductive here,with a ”trashy park” type pattern and Trash Density HIGH. Having the trash density setting on HIGH will let the machine report the strongest ACCEPTED target, even if a larger or stronger NON accepted target is nearby. That’s the theory. It works well with the CTX and I’m finding it to work well with the very limited time I’ve now got on the eTrac. Also, running FAST ON turns OFF a layer of filtering, allowing a quicker response between targets at the expense of target accuracy. At this point, most of us are digging a range or digging signals that are a bit questionable anyway. Super clean fields with super deep targets....FAST OFF and DEEP ON and minimal to no disc...and make sure the machine is STABLE for right now.

I usually can run a sensitivity of 24 manual with no problems...and I use multi for the high tone silver responses....2 tone ferrous is much quieter...but not as deep as multi conduct and no screaming silver sounds.
If you can get used to multi, it is the way to go....idxMonster is right on...