Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

info needed on e trac...:help:

JOHNMARKHAM

hello all
im wanting to get an etrac soon,ill be hunting the fields and parks here in ohio,i may even use it as a back up to my excalibur on the dry sand and wet sand beaches,ok so heres my question; what extras would one want to get as a newbie to this machine? extra gear that would be needed?and books on the etrac??i already have a garrett pinpointer pro along with a small hand digger,but im thinking of a small shovel and a new digger,ive got those great gel filled knee pads and ive even got a set of black widow headphones,so any more gear needed?? please help me get my wish list in order?
thanks
john

Get a copy of Andy Sabich's book "The Minelab E-Trac & Explorer Handbook". Read it before you even use the E-Trac. I feel like that book is just as important as the E-Trac itself. Sounds like you have everything else you need for now.

Load up a free version of the E trac Emulator on you computer and mess with it It will save you time when the real machine comes.

An excavator would be nice too!! LOL All seriosness a spade shovel would be great for the feilds. Can get cheap at hardware store home depot etc. I use the little eagle digger, a short d handled spade shovel and a trowel. I do not hunt beaches thusfar so these diggers are adequate for me. And the other two posts above cover all else you will need. Eventually you may want to try the x1 probe but is not necessary. Good luck!!

Wow, this question has a million answers depending on who responds.

Andy Sabisch's book The Minelab Explorer and E-trac Handbook is excellent for learning the what's, why's, and wherefores about the etrac. I think of it as a necessity for myself.

I believe a pin point probe is essential, and you already have a good one of those with the Garrent ProPointer. Many like the SunRay X-1 and I have had one a really like them. They do make the detector a little heavier

For general hunting in lawn type areas I use a Lesche digger for cutting grass plugs.

For shallow coin retrieval and digging in holes where I've cut a grass plug I use a long S shaped tool called a Coin Popper.

For cutting plugs in yards of particular folks with well manicured lawns I use a device called a Hole Hog. Similar to what they use for cutting cups on golf greens. The hole is smaller in diameter than those I cut with the Lesche digger making it more likely to nick a find, but at least I get the opportunity to hunt.

I also use a large red handkerchief to place loose soil on when hunting in lawns. It works great.

I have a Swingy-Thingy that I take along just is case my shoulder starts aching. It consists of a little chest harness and a bungy cord that attaches to the search rod of my etrac. It removes most of the weight of the detector from my arm making it much easier to swing for long periods of time. I don't use it much, but it is nice to have just in case.

Finds Pouch - I also have a finds pouch for trash and treasure. I usually find a lot more trash than treasure (size wise) so I make frequent trips to any available garbage cans to keep it free.

I also have a couple extra coils, but the vast majority of the time, I use the standard Pro coil.

I'll be interested to see what other put down as necessities.

Rich (Utah)

John check with Kristy or Lynn at Detector Depot. Lecshe digger book on E-Trac and your choice of headphones come with a new E-Trac. Click on their site right above K-Co. HH :minelab:

wow ,thanks for the info ,
what coils are used and for what conditions do you change the coil? i do have a swingy thingy which does work for me at times too,this x-1 probe? my question is i do have a Garrett pin pointer pro,so why would i need this x-1 probe? would i need a extra battery ?i just ordered the predator shovel rave and there hand digger too,should have it next week?I'm gonna order an etrac this week but just wanna make sure i order all that id need for all hunting conditions.
ill wait for all responses..
thanks
john

John go to the Explorer forum and read all the coil reviews Bryce Brown has done on the coils for Minelab machines. He has done an excellent job. The Pro-Coil that comes with the E-Trac is all you should need for awhile but I like the Sun-Ray 5 inch in trashy areas. The Garrett pro-pointer is by far the best handheld in my opinion but if you ever try the X-1 Sun-Ray probe you will wonder how you ever done without it. Before you buy check with Detector Depot.you won't be sorry. Good Luck. :minelab:

the X-1 Sun-Ray probe runs THRU your detector using the disc level you have,,,, so every piece of metal in the hole will not set the PP off (your garret PP is in all metal mode)