Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Insane amount of gold coins found!

Most were $1 gold coins. Officers were paid in gold, enlisted men in silver. The archaeologists are whining, "Now no one will know how it got there." I would say either hidden during the Uncivil War or when Franklin Delano "bought" all of the US citizens' gold.

Most were $1 gold coins. Officers were paid in gold, enlisted men in silver. The archaeologists are whining, "Now no one will know how it got there." I would say either hidden during the Uncivil War or when Franklin Delano "bought" all of the US citizens' gold.
My guess...FDR era. But what I can never figure out...is WHY no one ever came back for it?????????????

The man of the house handled the finances including hiding the money.Seldom did they share this information with their family members.If they died in an accident the family would have no idea where the money was or if it even existed.There is also the possibility that it was plunder(very common) and the aggressor met with fate and never returned.

Be interesting to know why it was buried there if Civil War time period? Or, from that time frame forward, did someone wealthy own the farm? Quite a few posts I've seen regarding this hoard recovery several have mentioned they would have not said anything. Personally, I think the finder handled the recovery correctly. A number of those gold coins are worth six figures and there is no way to keep sales there of quiet. HH jim tn

Seen some mounted fish on Lodge walls with a sign, "If only I had kept my mouth shut".

Crazy what can be hidden with only one family member knowing the location. An untimely death renders it lost for years.

Case in point my great grandfather who passed away from appendicitis. Flash forward to when I was 8 years old and his blacksmith shop roof caved in. We were cleaning it out and my father removed the nails holding down his anvil, lifted it up and in a cavity underneath was a stack of Morgan dollars.
Then my father used a loader tractor to take building to a pile in yard to burn it the next day. I was crawling around on the remnants before it was burnt and saw two Morgan dollars still perched on a high shelf in the rubble.

Have metal detected all over the yard for the last 40 years and haven’t found any other caches but who knows. Just think though. There was a farmstead on most every quarter section throughout the United States. We still have A LOT of detecting to do. YEAH!!!!

Kentucky was a slave state and these coins are union currency. I have seen a theory that they were hidden in advance of one of John Hunt Morgan’s raids. The owner would not want to be known as a union sympathizer or dealing with the union.

Also when you hide something you hide it near a landmark you can find. There was a lot of burning and looting going on. Even if the owner survived he might not have been able to find the location again.

Apparently there’s also a couple other stories that have surfaced due to this find regarding other civil War era stashes of coins which have never been found near Paducah and Cumberland Gap.

Picketwire, I had never heard of this statement before. Interesting, I am going to have to research that, just goes to show my lack of knowledge regarding some things.