Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Introduce Yourself....What Type Of Metal Detecting Do You Do With Purchasing A New ATX In Mind? :biggrin:

Hey folks! Brand new to the world of metal detecting. I live in NH, about 10 minutes from the beaches. Just purchased a Garrett ATX (arriving tomorrow) and looking forward to hitting some beaches and maybe finding some locals to show me the ropes. Heading to the Gulf Coast of Florida in a couple of days, I guess that's where I'll cut my teeth with this thing. Total history buff so once I get into this hobby, I'll be looking to hit some civil war battle fields or encampment areas. Not sure how to go about that, but I'll figure it out!

Stitcher71 said:
Hey folks! Brand new to the world of metal detecting. I live in NH, about 10 minutes from the beaches. Just purchased a Garrett ATX (arriving tomorrow) and looking forward to hitting some beaches and maybe finding some locals to show me the ropes. Heading to the Gulf Coast of Florida in a couple of days, I guess that's where I'll cut my teeth with this thing. Total history buff so once I get into this hobby, I'll be looking to hit some civil war battle fields or encampment areas. Not sure how to go about that, but I'll figure it out!
Hi Stitcher71,
Welcome to the NH metal detecting arena, lots of stuff out there, been at it myself since 03-2010 and never would have believed the artifacts I've recovered if I hadn't done it myself lol.
have fun in FL and great digs to ya! Herbie.

Well I will make it official and continue the tradition here. I live and hunt the Northern Rim of the Mohave Desert mostly in Southern Utah. I will be buying my ATX w/ the deepseeker package and 8" monocoil for my birthday next month with my beautiful wife's blessings. I currently relic hunt with a Teknetics T2 SE and want greater depth and stability on hot ground. I also want to do some Nugget Shooting and Beach Detecting which the ATX will certainly do that. I

I am looking for a metal detector that will locate iron or copper one to four feet underground.
I am trying to arrange an expedition to look for vaults containing documents from the Franklin Expedition (1845) on King William Island. From what I have been able to determine, what searching has been done with metal detectors has been pretty shallow.
The testimony is a steel box containing documents was buried and perhaps encased in cement.
Royal Navy protocol is to bury documents in a copper cylinder made for this purpose.
How would the Garrett ATX deepseeker perform for this purpose?

I wanted a 'General purpose' detector that was Saltwater friendly .. most of my hunting is done in the Caribbean & while valuables are nice, that's not necessarily what I'm looking for. Still trying to learn the nuances of the ATX in saltwater and would love to get some feedback from more experienced users. ( http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,2371966 )
Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi everyone,I am new in this forum but I have been using ATX since it came out in 2013,its Avery good detector, I am still using the stock coil,I would like to here your experience on the new 11x13 coils dd/mono vs stock coil! Which is better on hash ground,not theoretical ,I need practical experience please

Bill Moure said:
I am looking for a metal detector that will locate iron or copper one to four feet underground.
I am trying to arrange an expedition to look for vaults containing documents from the Franklin Expedition (1845) on King William Island. From what I have been able to determine, what searching has been done with metal detectors has been pretty shallow.
The testimony is a steel box containing documents was buried and perhaps encased in cement.
Royal Navy protocol is to bury documents in a copper cylinder made for this purpose.
How would the Garrett ATX deepseeker perform for this purpose?

Bill, The deep seeker would probably work for you, if I get within 3 feet of a fence with the stock coil it will sound off.(that's just under 1 meter for those on the metric system)

Hi UK user here using the ATX inland Ive had the machine a few months now and starting to get to grips with it, i dig a fair amount of iron but i was expecting that, i can run it maxed out on most of my sites and its quiet as a mouse, pylon wires i have to knock sensitivity right back to 8 to keep it stable, overall i am impressed with the detector it likes hammered coins, its brought my fields back to life hoovering up what the E track Fisher 75 GMP Deus had left behind.

[attachment 361442 20180917_121601.jpg]

In Victoria, Australia have motorhome and just starting out. No detector yet. Would like to make some contacts. I am retired already, old, but energetic and able.

Hello. Fascinated by the various recent relics, trade tokens and old coins his friend often showed him and kicking around the idea for a year or two my father took the leap and purchased The Garrett BFO. It was 1980 and the hobby of metal detecting was, by most accounts, in its infancy, and as a young child I was thrilled to go with dad when he went detecting and even made him come to my school for show and tell. Needless to say my classmates and teachers were very attentive to his stories and showed great admiration to the treasures he brought with him that day and it was only a matter of time that a new and improved detector was purchased and ultimately leading to one of my own, fore I too would become prolific to the nuances of what the metal detector was saying and prolific in the local history along with its anecdotal accounts of social gatherings, forgotten baseball diamonds, once thriving swimming holes and the educational movement of the 1920’s called The Chautauqua. All of these locations held bountiful amounts of silver coins, Indian head pennies, Buffalo nickels, foreign coinage, jewelry, merchant trade tokens and everything else one can imagine and as I grew older I took the role as the fact finder and permissionist that put us on some unbelievable property and in doing so a loving rivalry blossomed which solidified our friendship between my dad and I. I will never forget those days especially now that my dad has passed away. I now have hundreds of acres, a plethora of permanent permissions and countless secret locations yet to detect which brings me to The Garrett ATX. After years of my due diligence, unwavering tenacity and dumb luck I purchased a 40 acre mining claim smack dab in the middle of one the richest placer and load gold regions on this planet. My claim is surrounded by two of the most massive and productive hydraulic mines to have ever existed with various smaller ones abound hence my need of a powerful weapon in my quiver. Like my father I too pondered for a couple of years and took a leap of faith myself, but this time it was Pulse Induction and as luck may have it, the Garrett AXT had been born and already had a few years of true field tested results and plenty of feedback, both pro and con. With that being said it wasn’t a difficult choice and the moment I turned it on amongst the hot rocks that plagued my VLF, I was convinced solid when the ATX went silent after ground balancing and pinged on its first target which was a 1888 Indian head cent, and it was then I knew a had a loyal friend.

just got my ATX in May but have only tested it here on my property here in so. cal. some coins lot's of nails. will be going over to a friends claim near me to really wring the ATX out. glad i found this site.