Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron Falsing vs Two Targets

ptdigger

Is there a definitive way to tell the difference Falsing and Two targets?

Definitive, no, I still get fooled once in a while but cross checking your targets (90 degrees) will eliminate most of them. Also, if the target pinpoints off center from the audio, it is most likely a nail.

Look at your target trace. If it splatters all over likely iron. Do the targets seem to move around and not repeat? Another tale tale sign of iron. 2 targets will usually repeat most every time.

Best thing is to dig them all till you learn what machine is telling you.

Well pt digger, that's a hard one. I can tell you this. I just got back from a site I've hunted hard with etrac. In combine mode, ferrous coin, fast on, deep off, with the CTX I got a fluctuating high tone with splatter on the screen. I kept a turning and turning and turning watching the screen. From one position I kept getting this somewhat better clarity high tone. It appeared to be coming from the exact same spot. In pinpoint target trace the target looked way too big for a coin. At about 4 inches this nice wheat penny jumps out. I saw this splatter again at this site on 2 more suspicious closely knitted high tones. I just didn't hear enough to make me dig so I didn't. The audio clarrity diffference on the CTX is supreme when in iron for me.

Squirrel1 - Thx for mentioning you got a coin and yet saw splatter. I had been wondering about that.

I will say this, I hunt in 50 CO and almost every false I get, when checked in Combine, gives me an iron reading. But it seems like most are using the CTX in Combine. 50 CO sure falses a lot more than Combine does but it also misses less imo. Pick your poison though. I tend to go along the lines of what Larry said, you can eliminate most falses by checking the target from 4 directions. I do that but pay close attention to how solid that target is hitting if it is only a 2 way hit. My best and deepest silver find, a 9" quarter sized Dmark, was pretty much a two way hit that pinpointed WAY off center. It was extremely clear from the 2 directions (one plane) it hit though. That was the give away, along with the silver VID. Intuition is a big part of it for me. Using a detector for hours brings you closer to the language it speaks and it is difficult to communicate that with words.

I think it is very difficult to describe the difference between a false hit and a good one. And as others have said, no matter what, you will get fooled. I think digging a lot of targets is key, at least initially. Conditions and responses vary, so you can't really go by what works for some of us across the board - this is with most of the settings imo. That said, it sure is a big help to share and such.

Albert

Thank you for your responses. Tonight I went back to an area that I had gridded and hunted with the CTX. The area was 24 X 60 feet. I dug tones that I had earlier passed over as iron, unless I was sure it was iron. I dug two nails and one very old, badly corroded button. I used an Etrac prior to the CTX I could identify falsing with it. I have been using the same methods with the CTX and was afraid I might have been passing on good targets. I guess the old adage " When in doubt, dig it." comes to play.

If I get a one way or two way and the target stays put where I sweeped I always dig sometimes junk sometimes a good target key is the target stays where you get a good tone.