Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it me or does the XL Pro...:jump:

I'm sure you are right Richard. I personally know of two converts within the last week. One just purchased a like new 6000 di pro sl and is selling his XLT. After using my old di pro sl for two hours, he swears that he will never use a digital machine again. They are reliable, easy to read, easy to learn from, easy to adjust and just plain out more fun, and that's what it's all about. If I could only have one machine....without question, it would be the 6000 SL or the XL pro and it doesn't matter much to me which one. The analog machines can take followers away from digital, but I don't see that working the other way around too often without regret. I think people are catching on that it would be crazy or counter productive to use most of the bells and whistles on these digital machines in the first place....far less spending your hunting time scrolling through some endless menu looking for a gimmick.:thumbup:

I think the ideal machine would have a digital readout, VDI etc. and analog adjustment controls. The analog meters are just soooo... obsolete and they only read average not peak anyway so you don't lose anything by goind with a digital readout in fact its far easier to read. Analog pots are much more convienent to adjust though. Id like to see an XLT with a combo of both. GB, Volume, AC Sens, DC Sens, Disc, and Notch Adjusting Pots on the box with switches for backlight, mode, GB would be SUPER! The best of both worlds... Just my 2 cents devalued.

dfwdetector

When I started metal detecting, I used the Garrett Master Hunter BFO metal detector. Through the years I have resisted going to the "digital computer readout" models because of the old habit of digging just about every signal within reason.

Being lazy in learning how to use the new "digital readout" detectors, combined with using what works for me, has resulted in my continued use of a non metered detector like my Tesoro Bandido II uMax or my Whites XL Pro. I avoid debate of which type of detector is better because of the fact that my old fashion type detectors work for me. In addition, I question if I have the smarts to learn how to use one of those new type of metal detectors. Kelley (Texas) :)

Well DFWdetector, I think the White's MXT might be as close to your dream as you're gonna find. Digital readout with analog controls. BUT.. this is a analog forum and we are here BECAUSE we disagree with you. So, while we are willing to give you full value for the two cents...expect at least twenty five cents worth of argument because you are outnumbered here. We really don't think our meters are Soooooo obsolete!

I gotta agree after 8 years of using an XLT then switching back to an XL pro this Christmas, it's hard to beat the analog machines. One story to tell: I live in an 1890's fdarmhouse and have hunted the yard numerous times with my XLT. Lots of iron trash plus a few times previously hunted before I bought the place in the early 90's, thus a great testing ground for a detector. I've found a few good items with the XLT going over my yard every which way and with every possibe coil over the last 15 years. This Christmas I went over the yard with mt new XL pro and found numerous buffalos, wheaties and the like right where I had been at least a dozen times with my XLT. Since I am an old hand with the 6000 series maybe it's just that I know those machines beter, or maybe it's that those machines ARE better in some ways. One thing's for sure, TR disc mode is a killer on ground that has been previously hunted with G.E.B. machines. I will keep my XLT but my primary detector of choice has become the XL pro. Happy hunting everyone.

I have yet to see a digital come even close to an analog meter in accuracy and target sizing ability. Heck, my wife is old but she sure ain't obsolete. Dang near works as good as the day I married her those many years ago!

Maybe they are starting to come to the realization that new technology doesn't always mean better. I started using the 6000 series back in 1986 and they have been my main detector thru the years. I've tried many others. Most went bye-bye rather quickly. Some showed promise. I did keep an XLT, CZ6a and Sovereign for a couple years apiece to keep the 6000 company but alas I could never find anything that made them better for my type of hunting. The only other detector that I've kept is my Compass Gold Scanner Pro.

a machine ID as correctly as the XL Pro unless it was the 5900. Let's face it, White's had the platform for that machine long enough to get the bugs out and make improvements as time went by.... I hate to see it leave the line-up......Give it a year or so and they will be "scarce as hen's teeth." Best to all you "loggers" and thanks for the response...Richardntn

Being an old TR man myself (actually before TR), could you further explain your statement, "One thing's for sure, TR disc mode is a killer on ground that has been previously hunted with G.E.B. machines." thanks. HH Randy

The comparison between G.E.B. disc and TR is obvious: the former is motion and the latter non-motion. The non-motion TR mode allows you to get right in next to trees and other obstacles as well as right in next to other trash items. GEB disc would just blend the two objects together and give you a broken signal at best but usually just completely masks the good target, especially if the trash object is larger than the desireable target.

The comparison between G.E.B. "Norm" and TR is somewhat more complex. Mainly the difference is in target separation particularly in areas that have a lot of iron trash. GEB Norm is basicly unusable in areas that have lots and lots of iron trash, like three or more signals per sweep. Yes, you could detune and try to ID each target using the meter, which I do in areas with moderate trash, but in high trash areas, it's just too time consuming and labor intensive. Using the TR mode it's possible to use a little discimination and eliminate the iron trash objects without losing too much depth (depending on soil mineralization, of course). If you're willing to lose a lot of depth, it's possible to run a high discrimination setting.

It is at those locations with an extreme number of iron trash items that TR is most useful. Yes, you might only get 3" depth but that beats 0" which you'd get not being able to use GEB norm at all due to the high trash level.

I started detecting in the late 70's with a TR machine so your experience certainly goes back further than mine. But my main point is that after not using TR mode for at least 8 years (my time spent wandering in the "XLT desert"), I'd forgotten that in some situations, TR is VERY useful.

:detecting:Hi everyone I am new to this hobby and this forum. I have been reading at this forum since its conception. I have to agree with Clondike Clad and others on this forum. For me the XL PRO rules.I started this hobby with a Whites MXT.When I found out that Whites planned to discontinue the analog line,I wanted one.I bought it with the money found with the MXT to be used as a backup detector. It didnt take me long,with the help,from all of you on the forum to make the XL-PRO #1.Now I will use the MXT for gold hunting,and backup to the XL-PRO.
Thanks to every one on this forum your comments and suggestions always seem to help me understanding my new XL-PRO.
Thank you dirtstabber.:whites::detecting:

This forum is slowing growing. Thanks for joining in and please feel free to share some of your experiences when time permits...it would be most welcomed. Kelley (Texas) :)

I would rather see a meter move then see numbers jumping on the digital machines.

n/t