Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it me or does the XL Pro...:jump:

Just a guy who has been detecting for 34 years. I suppose some of what I read and studied over the years stuck, but somedays it seems I forgot more than I remember! I spend a lot of time researching (and coin hunting) old abandoned sites where people gathered 100 years ago. But, there are times that a trip to the local "pull tab park" is fun too. That is why I asked about the TR mode. Looking for a better way to sweep the XLPro in a real trashy area, without losing separation characteristics. It has been a long time since I even had my XLPro turned to TR. I am anxious to put on the 350 coil, tune it to TR and give it a go! HH Randy

in some of the folks posting here. Richardntn, Digger, Crazyman, Poptop, Clondike Clad, and Monte have vast metal detector knowledge among them...and they have all been proven to help new folks. I doubt if there are any questions that they can not answer, so don't be afraid to ask about something that you do not know. Again, welcome to the Forum! Kelley (Texas) :)

Glad you found us Dirtstabber! brings some friends over...this forum is really growing. Sounds like you are doing pretty good so far in the Hobby. Where do you live?:)

You're welcome Digger. The manual sorta covers this in the section about using TR mode in areas of really bad ground. Adjusting the Disc. control you can actually ground balance in TR mode and get as much depth as in GEB, or you can use the Disc. control like a traditional discriminator, but you can't do both ground balancing and discrimating at the same time. At least in my soil, the disc control ends up at about the 10 o'clock position when perfectly ground balanced. Any deviation from this setting and you start losing a lot of depth, more the further past 10 o'clock you go. That's why it's important to use just as much disc. as you need to screen out the nails etc. but no more: you lose more and more depth the further clockwise you crank the disc.. Give it a try next time you are in a super trashy area. Use a small loop in the 4"-6" range, go SLOW, and you should do pretty well. Good Luck.

Thanks Poptop I live in southern California a little town called Apple Valley. The area I live in is called the high desert.

Thanks Dirtstabber :whites: XL-PRO

I know there are a lot of ghost towns in Ca. What is huntings them like? Are they beat to death or can you still make many good finds?

Hi Clay, welcome to the forum. I was wondering what those things were...I thought they were M&Ms in a Richard Simmons class.

Hey, my XL Pro will be in my hands tomorrow and then I will be heading to the Circus grounds. Will let you know. I hope you find gold soon.. I am still looking for my first gold coin. Have a tackle box full of silver since 1978. Clay

Poptop I cant say very much about ghost towns around my area. Most are now commercialized or posted no tresspasing. Years ago (10 to 15)I used to rockhound at old mines and most had buildings and dumps. At that time I wasn't looking for coins or relics.Now at least in my local area the BLM has everything locked down.All of my detecting is at parks, and school grounds.I would like to go to some old sites :devil:but the Blm or Forest Service always seem to be in the way.:rant::devil:
Thanks dirtstabber:whites:

Man..that's sad. Before it's over, We will only be allowed to use our houses and sidewalks. Sort of ironic that we pay the government to take things away from us.:shrug: