Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is leakage inevitable???

I just purchased an Equinox 600. I have not even opened the box. Is it basically a given that it is going to leak?

Every vehicle I have purchased has had some recall/warranty issue, this doesn't stop me from buying again because I don't ride horses and wont walk hundreds of miles LOL. We currently own 2 800's both have been exposed to the elements- sub zero hunts, swimming dozens of times and have had no issues. I bought them to use and have confidence with Minelab's warranty/service. Open the box and enjoy your new machine, the sky is not falling. JMO
HH Jeff

I have used mine water hunting twice with no problems.
But I think this is a bigger problem than most people think. I'm just guessing but I would think 50 percent of the people with an Equinox don't water hunt. Or at least don't submerge the control box.
The reason I say it's a bigger problem than it appears is this. Of the three big time youtube celebraties I watch that water hunt, all three have had an Equinox that flooded.

I've had an Equinox since November and I ordered another that will be here tomorrow. I ordered a second one because I do expect to have problems of one type or another as most people have. Shaft too loose, coil ears breaking , arm cup breaking and control box flooding.
The technology is the best in my opinion , but the material and construction is poor in my opinion compared to any other detector I've owned relative to the price.
Please don't let negative (but true) comments stop you from using and enjoying your detector. I love hunting with mine.
I just sold $3700 worth of detectors and accessories ($6000 retail) in the last 6 months after buying the Equinox, it is that good.
Hopefully minelab will fix the problem and replace all units or at least extended the warranty until all defective units have been replaced.
What would be better is that they fix all problems, discontinue the Equinox,release a new improved version and allow us to exchange them.

I had mine just quit on me and a new one in 6 days not bad and I treat my gear with the utmost care clean after every hunt never dropped it
It still looks brand new.
I could tell the armrest was flimsy and I'm careful not to break that or use the detector as a crutch as to not break the coil ears and so far everything has stayed together knock on wood!
HH
Mark

Just my two cents...

I agree with laplander's post, and I think what jayhop said above is very true.

These are excellent machines, but, I think it is fair to say that Minelab did perhaps "cut a few corners" with the unit, in a few areas. They ABSOLUTELY DID NOT cut any corners, performance-wise; that -- to me -- is the MOST important thing. BUT, I think that after so many folks yelled loudly at/to Minelab, for so many years, to produce a high-performing machine that was AFFORDABLE, they finally listened...and I think they should be commended for that. However, I think it stands to reason that to pack the top-notch performance that Minelab is known for, into an "affordable" package, there will inevitably be parts of the machine that won't be quite as high-quality as we might be used to from Minelab. But, I think that's to be expected. After all, when folks purchase a $649 EQX 600, or $899 EQX 800, and find that they are getting performance that meets or even exceeds that of the $2499 CTX 3030, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the same degree of build quality, in some of the machine's components. The CTX is built like a tank, but that's part of the reason that its MSRP is $2499, not $649...

BUT, I would also say that to Minelab's credit, the release of the Equinox ALSO coincided with a complete revamping of their customer service/repair process. And I think that is HUGE. After interacting with Minelab since the EQX release, and after hearing of other folks who have had EQX issues, I have 100% peace-of-mind that if anything goes wrong with one of my Equinoxes, Minelab will take care of it quickly, and efficiently. I am on the forums every day, and I deal with a lot of Equinox users on a daily basis, as well. And I have not heard of ONE SINGLE PERSON that has had a problem with an Equinox, that has not had a GREAT experience with Minelab's customer service department/repair shop. Every case I have heard of, has been resolved very efficiently, and very quickly. YES, it is wise to have a backup machine, but in every case, Minelab has resolved any EQX issue within a week or so, for everyone that I've heard from. Mkus, in a post just above mine, is an example of just what I'm talking about.

My advice is, enjoy your Equinox; dunk it in your bathtub, if you need to, for a half hour, and make sure it doesn't leak. If it doesn't, you are probably good to go, from then on. If by chance it DOES, Minelab will have a new one in you hands in a week. To me, you can't beat that...top-end performance, and top-end customer service.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Thanks Steve, and everyone else. I am heading to the NJ shore this weekend to try it out. Should be fun

Jim

We some times want to be the first or second person to get on here when something happens.... doesn’t mean every one has an issue. One guy ran over his....is that a ML issue? I’ve got hundreds of hours with the box under water I’ve had zero issues. A hunting buddy of mine has to. Then he put his up for a few months.....next time out it went, but before even putting it in the. So who knows. I’m not concerned at all as long as I have a warranty and ML is fixing it.

I've had my NOX in the water 'Chest Deep" no less than 50 times and no problem yet.... So I wouldn't go there automatically!!!

Mike K

Mine flooded first dunk, buddies kid drowned after 15 minutes, and now my other buddies has to be sent in. The new one they gave me malfunctioned the first time I dunked it and had to be burped. OK so its not a problem were just a bunch of unlucky saps..... I guess out of the million sold we got the only bad ones...what are the odds????

I am hoping for the best trying it out this weekend. Hopefully I have no issues. It's great that they are fixing or replacing units. However, there is obviously some really poor QC. Just because it doesn't cost thousands of dollars is not an excuse!!

hammer0419 -- I agree that "just because it doesn't cost thousands of dollars" doesn't mean that a machine touted to be waterproof should be expected to leak. I was more referring to some of jayhop's comments about the build quality, including wobbly shafts, weak/fragile arm cuffs, etc. Those types of things. That's what I was referring to, when I said we can't expect the same quality on a sub-$1000 machine as we would on a $2500 machine. But I agree with you -- if the machine is sold as being "waterproof," then leakage can't be brushed off just because the unit happens to be relatively affordable...

Steve

Most definitely Steve. I was not singling you out. I have read these exact excuses from others who must be extremely wealthy and don't have a
care in the world if a unit fails??? Though lesser quality shafts are unacceptable. To me the bigger issue is from a model deemed waterproof that leaks!! I'm sure a LARGE majority don't water hunt. Because of that in Itself. I would bet money this problem would probably be HUGE if they did water detect!! Which in Turn this issue would be over the top!!

sgoss66 said:
hammer0419 -- I agree that "just because it doesn't cost thousands of dollars" doesn't mean that a machine touted to be waterproof should be expected to leak. I was more referring to some of jayhop's comments about the build quality, including wobbly shafts, weak/fragile arm cuffs, etc. Those types of things. That's what I was referring to, when I said we can't expect the same quality on a sub-$1000 machine as we would on a $2500 machine. But I agree with you -- if the machine is sold as being "waterproof," then leakage can't be brushed off just because the unit happens to be relatively affordable...

Steve
The CTX had problems itself I believe with their o rings to so being a $2500.00 machine and having a 25 cent o ring go that's not to good either.
Mark

calabash digger said:
Mine flooded first dunk, buddies kid drowned after 15 minutes, and now my other buddies has to be sent in. The new one they gave me malfunctioned the first time I dunked it and had to be burped. OK so its not a problem were just a bunch of unlucky saps..... I guess out of the million sold we got the only bad ones...what are the odds????
Hey Calabash your post has my wondering what is the difference between my local group of hunters where there have been 0 failures {mine will probably flood tommorowLOL] and yours where it must look like the black plague. We are at 1000' ft of altitude, I might be grabbing at straws but what do you think?
HH Jeff

To me it seems to be a three year detector, then throw away if problem after that as there is no way to get at the internals to repair...it being sealed shut.. kinda.
Kind of like a Yugo?
$899 for a three year non repairable detector then throw it away?

Frowning here.

g

I hadn't even thought about that. I was thinking after three years we would have to pay maybe a 100 dollars to get it fixed but like you said there probably isn't any fixing to it, just replacement.
That ain't good.

Solid shaft, armrest and coil ears should be included in the cost. JMO

I just received my 600 and put it together. Shaft does not seem horrible... Yet. Arm cuff is total garbage. Just praying she doesn't leak this weekend. Like I said in a previous post. If they charged $100 more per machine. They could have doubled/tripled the physical quality and no one would blink an eye. It's really ashame how they perceive QC.